Thunder of Niagara Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed May 23, 2018 2:30 am

Adding a little context from conversations I've seen around FB and elsewhere...

Apparently, this show has blatantly stolen photos in the past. When the photographers called them out on it, they were ignored and told that the show could use whatever photos it wanted. I guess that's where the hostility towards photographers comes from.

All of the comments on the FB page regarding lenses and restrictions have been deleted, and I've been told that some of the restrictions have been removed from their website now. Who knows what will be allowed in.

This is rather appalling behavior from a show organizer, especially one who appears to be linked with a military unit. I hope someone can set them in line.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Warbird55

Post by Warbird55 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm not sure about stolen photos, but I am still seeing the comments on facebook and the "large" lens restriction on the website.

Let's just all hope they review the policy and realize that us wingnut photographers are only a threat to our DSLR memory buffers, and the capacity of our memory cards. We also tend to herd together and/or move to places away from the general public. So there is minimal impact on the ability of others to see the show.
0 x

CJEddy

Post by CJEddy » Wed May 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Maybe us photogs should put together a list of what annoys us at airshows and submit it to see if we can get things we don't like banned.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed May 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Thunder of Niagara has posted a facebook post saying large lenses and Tripods WILL be allowed at the show. Bags larger 21 x 10 x 10 inches will NOT be allowed.

Obviously a compromise between the two sides here. I'm glad the photogs will get to bring their lenses in. I do understand the show's point of view about big lenses *dodges being thrown stuff* lol But it's up to non serious photogs to get there early and get to the front of the line.

I hope those photogs who were very upset, do come to the show. Do it for yourselves as airshow fans and the incredible line-up!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5784657739
Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Wed May 23, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Thu May 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Dan Gagnon wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:07 pm Thunder of Niagara has posted a facebook post saying large lenses and Tripods WILL be allowed at the show. Bags larger 21 x 10 x 10 inches will NOT be allowed.

Obviously a compromise between the two sides here. I'm glad the photogs will get to bring their lenses in. I do understand the show's point of view about big lenses *dodges being thrown stuff* lol But it's up to non serious photogs to get there early and get to the front of the line.

I hope those photogs who were very upset, do come to the show. Do it for yourselves as airshow fans and the incredible line-up!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5784657739
As I'm sure others were. I was something pissed when they originally had that policy become public. I'm happy they reconsidered. I will be making my plans to attend Friday-Sunday. Photographing this lineup will be a highlight for myself and awesome to cover for my group. :D
0 x

jaosciak

Post by jaosciak » Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Anywhere off base to shoot practice on Friday?
0 x

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Thu May 31, 2018 3:08 am

Does anyone have any ideas for bases on the following?:

- F-16’s
- F-15’s
- B-52

I presume the F-15’s would be from Barnes, F-16’s either Ohio/Vermont and a Barksdale B-52. Just my own guesses. Anyone else have information on bases/squadrons attending?
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Thu May 31, 2018 4:18 am

RyanS wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:30 am Adding a little context from conversations I've seen around FB and elsewhere...

Apparently, this show has blatantly stolen photos in the past. When the photographers called them out on it, they were ignored and told that the show could use whatever photos it wanted. I guess that's where the hostility towards photographers comes from.

All of the comments on the FB page regarding lenses and restrictions have been deleted, and I've been told that some of the restrictions have been removed from their website now. Who knows what will be allowed in.

This is rather appalling behavior from a show organizer, especially one who appears to be linked with a military unit. I hope someone can set them in line.
Hearing about this really does upset me when it comes to our community. These kinds of acts make the airshow community look bad as a whole. I have nothing against the organizers of this show but I definitely feel like profit is the only goal when it comes to organizing this event. I am glad they are taking steps to listen to the folks and their opinions, but as someone who who was going to attend this show for the first time, I am regretfully turned off. Maybe one day in the future I will be on the east coast at the same time as this show so I can rebook, but for the time being my family and I are cancelling out this event.

Edit: I do understand that this event is free to the general public and profit (if any) from this event generally comes from the VIP Tickets (which I had purchased) but I feel like they are more concerned about filling seats as opposed to giving the attendees the best experience. Regardless an airshow is an airshow and let not my personal opinion affect yours about this event.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

CJEddy

Post by CJEddy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:15 pm

USMC MV-22 demo just added!!!
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Nice addition ,I thought the surprise may have been the Cf-18 but this is nice.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”