Thunder of Niagara Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
jared181920

Post by jared181920 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:20 pm

yyz64 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:19 pm Nice addition ,I thought the surprise may have been the Cf-18 but this is nice.
Maybe they're saving the best for last? :)
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:46 pm

CJEddy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:15 pm USMC MV-22 demo just added!!!
I won't lie, I thought it was going to be either the CF-18 Demo...or something dumb lol. Pretty suprised and excited to see the Osprey demo!

Extremely solid line-up this year. Can't wait!
0 x
Dan Gagnon

zigtronics

Post by zigtronics » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Osprey has been added to the Thunder Over Niagara show. Raging Bulls from North Carolina.
0 x

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Hello. New member. First post. I am a photography enthusiast from Western New York. I intend to attend the Thunder of Niagara Air Show (featuring the Thunderbirds) in Niagara Falls this weekend. Two questions:

I'd like to prepare for my shots as best as possible. Where can I find the expected 'routine' that the Thunderbirds are likely to fly?

I'll be shooting with a Nikon D7200 (1.5 crop). I'd prefer to bring just one lens. Tamron 18-400; Tamron 150-600. Given the extra weight/cumbersomeness of the 150-600, is it worth lugging that around?

Thanks in advance for guidance.
Last edited by MikeM on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:50 pm

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:18 pm Hello. New member. First post. I am a photography enthusiast from Western New York. I intend to attend the Thunder of Niagara Air Show (featuring the Thunderbirds) in Niagara Falls this weekend. To questions:

I'd like to prepare for my shots as best as possible. Where can I find the expected 'routine' that the Thunderbirds are likely to fly?

I'll be shooting with a Nikon D7200 (1.5 crop). I'd prefer to bring just one lens. Tamron 18-400; Tamron 150-600. Given the extra weight/cumbersomeness of the 150-600, is it worth lugging that around?

Thanks in advance for guidance.
Welcome! The routine hasn't changed much in recent years. You can find videos on our Youtube channel (AirshowStuffVideos) or others showing the maneuvers in order, but keep in mind weather may change the routine from a high show to a low show or flat show.

As for the lens, it is up to you really. Niagara specifically has expressed great contempt for photographers and until they faced some recent backlash, they had banned any lens longer than 6 inches. You would have been turned away at the gate. I believe they still have strict rules about camera bags so that might help decide. You can take fine photos with either; I use a 100-400 full time. I don't know what the showline is like there distance wise, and given their stance on photographers I don't expect to ever find out :!:
Last edited by RyanS on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:04 pm

RyanS wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:50 pm
Welcome! The routine hasn't changed much in recent years. You can find videos on our Youtube channel (AirshowStuffVideos) or others showing the maneuvers in order, but keep in mind weather may change the routine from a high show to a low show or flat show.

As for the lens, it is up to you really. Niagara specifically has expressed great contempt for photographers and until they faced some recent backlash, they had banned any lens longer than 6 inches. You would have been turned away at the gate. I believe they still have strict rules about camera bags so that might help decide. You can take fine photos with either; I use a 100-400 full time. I don't know what the showline is like there distance wise, and given their stance on photographers I don't expect to ever find out :!:
Thanks for the insight. Don't know why... didn't think of getting the "setlist" from YouTube. Awesome suggestion! Kindof expecting two "different" shows this weekend as Saturday is forecasted to be cloudy... and Sunday mostly sunny.

And, yeah, given the military/security sensitivities about lenses & such, I'll play it conservative and opt for the 18-400.

Again, thanks so much.
0 x

ilovejetnoise

Post by ilovejetnoise » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:03 pm

jaosciak wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 pm Anywhere off base to shoot practice on Friday?
Hi,
I did some sniffing around the internet, and found a possible spot that I thought you could get a pretty good view from without getting on base.
It's West of show center just off of Porter Rd, go to the end of Tuscarora Rd there looks like a large dirt mound on the left side. From there you can get great shots of the minimum radius turns among some other maneuvers. I've never been there myself. And the last time I shot at this show was in 1998 inside the base.

Have a look, and I'll be looking forward to seeing your shots from there.
Andy
0 x

CJEddy

Post by CJEddy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:56 pm

FYi - the spot you found is the laSalle Sportsman's Club's a shooting range, the hill is the backstop for the gun range - not a good spot! Your view would be pretty well blocked by the trees there anyway. Prevailing winds are out of the SW so usually traffic is on 28R so you want to be at the east end of KIAG for arrivals. Walmore Road is an option but at some point the police will boot you. Niagara is tough for spotting without Walmore Road. My suggestion is the Inducon Industrial Park east of the field on the north side of the centerline of 28R. Never been hassled back there but you will be north of the runway so aircraft will be backlit.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:21 pm

I do know that Walmore Rd will be closed for the Thunderbirds performance. Maybe you can get there before the T-Birds go up.

I have never done this, but there is some field where the ALS are. Maybe "hide there" lol. I've also seen some YouTube videos of someone at that spot during practice.

Here is a google maps image. The field with the ALS is on the right. Hope this helps. Obviously this will be up to you and will be at your own risk. If it works out, I hope to see some pictures!
Attachments
Untitled (2).png
Untitled (2).png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 12068 times
0 x
Dan Gagnon

jared181920

Post by jared181920 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Here is hoping the weather clears up for Saturday. Forecast isn't looking too pleasant so far :(
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”