2018 EAA AirVenture at Oshkosh

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:24 pm

RIAT at Oshkosh! Lol. It will be interesting to see if any modern aircraft from the RAF come across the pond. I mean, it's only fair, right? ;)
0 x
Dan Gagnon

DeanW

Post by DeanW » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:36 am

It'll be interesting to see what support this theme gets. I'll be surprised if the RAF send anything more than an Atlas.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:47 am

Likewise Dean. Anyone expecting an RAF jet demo is deluding themselves about just how overstretched the situation is in Britain. There are four UK airshows over the Oshkosh week, one of which is Scotland's National Airshow, an official RAF100 event. And there's just two jet displays to go around - the Typhoon solo and Red Arrows. Hell, most large US air force bases have more fast jets than the entire RAF at the moment.

I personally would be delighted to see the Red Arrows or Typhoon skip the Scotland show and go to Oshkosh, but I can't see it happening. I really, genuinely hope you get the Reds this year, it's long overdue, but it won't be until the end of the UK airshow season.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

nzaircraftfan

Post by nzaircraftfan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:49 am

I would like to see a DH Mosquito, Spitfire and a Hurricane
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 pm

I'm surprised there hasn't been more Oshkosh discussion!

EAA announced today that they will be highlighting parachute teams in 2018, including another 100+ person mass skydive like in 2015. I was sure it'd be boring but it was actually pretty awesome to hear all of the chutes open up at once! The night show skydives could be cool too.

https://airshowstuff.com/v4/2018/airven ... formances/
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:50 am

RyanS wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 pm I was sure it'd be boring but it was actually pretty awesome to hear all of the chutes open up at once! The night show skydives could be cool too.
You could hear it?! Wow! Traditional parachute teams don't interest me much, but I'd love to see something like that one day.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:46 pm

Adam wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:50 am
RyanS wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 pm I was sure it'd be boring but it was actually pretty awesome to hear all of the chutes open up at once! The night show skydives could be cool too.
You could hear it?! Wow! Traditional parachute teams don't interest me much, but I'd love to see something like that one day.
Yeah, we were all quite sure it was going to be dumb. They start from 20k feet so not like you can see much. But you could see the formations and then they all pulled chutes around the same altitude so all of a sudden the sky blossomed with dozens of parachutes and you could hear this ruffling all around. Then there were too many coming down to keep track of. It was pretty interesting and didn't drag on or anything. I'll be glad to see it again!
Last edited by RyanS on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Can't say I'm too into the parachutes or aerobatic announcements, but I'm really looking forward to whatever warbirds the RAF 100 celebration entails. I'd love to see a couple Spitfires and maybe the Lancaster. I'm not sure a Hurricane or Mosquito is realistic, but we can always hope! I don't have high hopes for modern RAF participation other than maybe an Atlas or C-17, but maybe we'll be surprised.

Also of note, the KC-46 is part of the "Aircraft Highlights at Airventure Oshkosh 2018" slideshow on the Airventure site. That would be a nice treat as part of the "Year of the Tanker" celebration.

I'm also highly anticipating P-51C Mustang "Lope's Hope III" and B-26K Invader "Special Kay" making their Oshkosh debuts.
0 x
Matt

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:43 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:10 pmI don't have high hopes for modern RAF participation other than maybe an Atlas or C-17, but maybe we'll be surprised.
Yeah, bad news on that front. In the past few days the Sunderland Airshow (which is the same dates as Oshkosh) announced every single fixed-wing RAF display team in their flying display. I warned earlier that Sunderland would probably hoard them all, and they have done - but as the only major airshow in northeast England that's fair enough, really.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:21 am

I would swear I saw somewhere that VWOC of Canada was bringing some planes and the hurricane was one of them. I can’t remember where I saw it. I think it was a random Facebook post. Maybe it was a dream lol.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”