Luke or Yuma??

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
jeffhq

Luke or Yuma??

Post by jeffhq » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:35 am

Hey Guys ,
Back in the states again in march [phoenix] and have to decide on Luke days
or MCAS Yuma air shows ,leaving on sunday so cant do both , looking at the
programs both look like good shows has any one experienced these shows
or have any thoughts or preferences. Was at Nellis in november and it was
fantastic.Travelling here from Australia. Thanks.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:07 am

I haven't been to either, but I guess a big question is what kinds of acts are you looking for? Luke now has the Blue Angels which are usually the top priority for a foreign visitor. Yuma would probably have more displays from ordinary units - F-35B, V-22, AV-8B, etc. I'm not sure what civilian and warbird acts each might have that could grab your interest.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

plnguye1

Post by plnguye1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:21 am

I've never been to Yuma, but I've attended every airshow at Luke since early 2000s. Luke usually has a large variety of static displays (F-35/F-22, C-5/C-17, old warbirds, HH-65s, etc.). Crowd size is also a big difference between the two. Yuma averages around 50K? for the weekend, whereas Luke has 300-400k. Depends on what you want to see more, Yuma looks to have more military acts but Luke has more performers overall..plus Blue Angels. Tora Tora Tora is pretty cool IMO.
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:16 pm

Will the AV-8B demo team be based out of Yuma for the weekend, as far as I can tell they're booked to perform at both Yuma and Luke on Saturday. Maybe they are only performing at Luke on the Sunday?
0 x

AerialZulu

Post by AerialZulu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:22 pm

Both are great shows. Luke will be bigger with the Blue Angels, F-35 Heritage Flight, A-10 Demo Team, AV-8B Harrier Demo, Tora Tora Tora, and not to mention Luke might have their F-16s fly a demonstration as well. Yuma also has a pretty solid lineup with the F-22 Raptor Demo Team, Patriots Jet Team, F-35B Demo, AV-8B Demo, MV-22, F-5E Flybys, and other good stuff. Trying to work out a trip for both those shows myself, but if it gets too pricy I will stick with Luke over Yuma.
0 x

KC_Aviation

Post by KC_Aviation » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:56 pm

I'm also in the same situation that I might be able to go to one of these shows, as I probably am leaving on Sunday. I'm leaning more heavily on Yuma. A few years back (2103??) I was able to go to both the same weekend and also go to A Royals spring training game...it was a perfect weekend for me!
My question is...if I decide on going to Yuma, I'll possibly have time on Friday to hang around Luke before heading to Yuma Friday night. Is there still good a good spotting area just to the south of Luke in the fields, or is that been taken away? I had heard the government purchased that land and now it's not accessible. Thanks in advance.

David
0 x

KC_Aviation

Post by KC_Aviation » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:29 pm

Well, I'm doing both now. Luke looks to be improving their flying schedule. They added an "Joint Airfield Assault demo" possibly to include CV-22 & AC-130 among others.
Going to be an epic weekend. Friday hang around Luke for arrivals & practice. Yuma Saturday...Royals Spring Training Saturday night, Luke Sunday. Can't get much better than that for one weekend.

David
0 x

jeffhq

Post by jeffhq » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:32 am

Luke it is , the joint field assault demo and angels sold it for me , if
its anything like nellis last year it should be pretty good , still
would of liked to of gone to Yuma, might have to start saving
and try to come over for Miramar later in the year ,would really
like to see a Marines airshow . As for the the planes in the
assault demo have you heard a rumor of the performors? Would
love to see the ones you have mentioned will be great either way.
jeff.
0 x

plnguye1

Post by plnguye1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

If it's anything like the ones from last few shows it'll be marines in some transport vehicles with 5-6 F-16s providing CAS. Not sure if it will be same this year of if they will include F-35s (crossing fingers).
Last edited by plnguye1 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

FlyRed

Post by FlyRed » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Did Luke lose the Harrier demo?
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”