Ex. Maple Flag 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
VIMY21

Post by VIMY21 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:00 pm

Bingofuel wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:19 pm Darn, looks like the Peruvian Mirage 2000 contingent and the NATO AWACS are no longer listed as participants.
Darn. Was really looking forward to those.
0 x

tbower35

Post by tbower35 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:47 pm

With this exercise starting in about 2 1/2 weeks does anyone know if any other participants might be added or deleted? I'm not sure how updated the Cold Lake Base webpage is updated. Maybe someone more familiar with the base procedures might know?

Thanks,

Trevor
0 x

Pinhead

Post by Pinhead » Wed May 30, 2018 12:09 am

Just thought i would chime in. I"ve been to every Maple Flag in the last 15 years.

The viewing area is a great spot to get good low takeoff pics. The prevailing winds are from the northwest, especially in the morning, so morning takeoffs are mostly to the north. If the wind changes in the afternoon, the jets may go south. The morning is the best time to shoot from the viewing area, the sun is still south and mostly east, so it is not an issue. In the afternoon as the sun moves west it can be a bit of an issue. I usually compensate at least 1 stop to underexpose the jet. The viewing area is parallel to the main runway, about 200 ft away. There is a taxiway between the runway and the viewing area. There is a 8ft fence between the taxiway and the viewing area, but when the planes are taking off, this is not a problem. There is an opportunity to go up to the fence and take shots between the mesh for very close taxiway shots.

Now to talk about the 300mm rule. i have used a 300mm/f4L and get good shots that only need minor cropping. I have been checked by the MPs every year except last year. The rule is a holdover from film and irrelevent today with digital, but it was still enforced. Now if you use a bigger lens, the worst I have seen is that they ask you to stop using it. Many people use a 100-400mmL. Since I was not checked last year, I'm hoping they are not worrying about it anymore.

To get inside the airport, ie the ramp, along runway, you need media creds. If you are media and have been given access there are no restrictions on lens size inside, don't ask me why. On the ramp i have used a 17-40L, and by the runway, 70-200L mostly, but a 100-400L would work to. These are obviously Canon lens, so the equivalent Nikon would work too. Usually you are set up on a taxiway between runways. Jets go by within 30-40 ft of you. In the past Thursday has been the media days on the ramp. With this year being a shortened Flag, maybe they will allow media whenever you are available, I don't know.

Also, usually on a Saturday, this year it would be June 16th, there has been an open house, where most nations bring some jets, etc. to the Medley Ramp and the public is allowed in to photograph, talk to pilots etc. In the past this has been a great, well attended event. I have not heard confirmation whether it will happen this year. Stay tuned.

If I missed something please ask.

Dan
0 x

VIMY21

Post by VIMY21 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:41 am

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm hearing that security at this years Maple Flag is being extremely heightened due to the request from a participant. I'm hearing the public viewing area might be shut down for the entire exercise and that media credentials might not be given out. Hope this isn't the case but I thought I'd warn everyone. If someone knows more info please advise.
0 x

tbower35

Post by tbower35 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:25 am

I would sure hope that the PAO or someone from the base would make an announcement ahead of time on the base website to let people know that the bleacher photo area will be closed down for the exercise. I'm sure there are some people that fly from all over the world to photograph these exercises.

I really hope this isn't the case as this will be my first Maple Flag visit. I guess only time will tell. Fingers are crossed.

Trevor
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Website updated yesterday...Looks like only around half of the participants from 2 months ago are still attending. Not nearly as interesting now.. :cry: .

Participating RCAF aircraft (as of May 31, 2018)
CF-18 Hornet fighter aircraft
CC-130T Hercules air-to-air refuelling aircraft
CC-150T Polaris air-to-air refuelling aircraft

Participating international aircraft (as of May 31, 2018)
Belgian Air Component (BAC) F-16AM Fighting Falcon fighter aircraft
North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Airborne Early Warning and Control Force (NAEW&CF) E-3A AWACS
Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) F/A-18A Hornet fighter aircraft
Top Aces Alpha Jet advanced trainer aircraft
United States Navy (USN) E/A-18G Growler electronic warfare aircraft
United States Air Force (USAF) B-52 Stratofortress strategic bomber aircraft

Participating international ground forces (as of May 31, 2018)
United States Marine Corps (USMC) Ground Control Intercept Controllers
0 x

tbower35

Post by tbower35 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:03 pm

That's too bad. Was really hoping to see the Saudi Tornadoes in action.
0 x

SpeedWagon

Post by SpeedWagon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:48 pm

I am considering driving up from Victoria and would really like to find out about the open house and the increased security. If I don't see anything on the web, I may just call the public affairs officer, I didn't receive a reply to my email of a couple of weeks ago. Or maybe a call or drop in to the Top Aces bunch here in Victoria.
0 x

Pinhead

Post by Pinhead » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:10 pm

To bad about the non attenders! Was looking forward to seeing them. Anyway, never seen the Growler at CL, been forever since the B-52 was here. Belgium always has a colourful jet or two. Still worth going, for me anyway, I’m only 3 hrs away.

Anyways whoever comes to the viewing area (assuming we are allowed) I’m the guy with the canes, come say hi.

I can’t imagine with who is left attending that there would be any sercuity issues. I was there in 2005 when the Israeli’s were here and the security was increased (all cars searched on entering) but we still were allowed to the viewing area. So I’m a little baffled. Maybe it is with the B-52, maybe they are playing the nuclear game??

Dan
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:16 am

Just an FYI, The Aussie Hornets have landed at JBLM so they'll be in Cold Lake soon. They are from No. 75 Squadron.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”