Tuskegee Air Show (GM River Days) 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
alexp2805-

Tuskegee Air Show (GM River Days) 2018

Post by alexp2805- » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Tuskegee Air Show
June 22nd(1:00pm), 23rd (3:00pm), & 24th (3:00pm)
Detroit River

Performers
Billy Werth
Four Ship T-6A Texan II Formation (Friday Only)
Team Tuskegee
Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association's DHC-1 Chipmunk
Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association's T-6 Texan
0 x
@AllStarAviation - Instagram
@AllStarAviationPics - Facebook

alexp2805-

Post by alexp2805- » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Not sure if anybody is going but I will update this page anyway haha. :lol:

So Friday's show may be delayed due to rain showers but nothing I think to cancel the show. I was talking with Billy Werth and he said he hasn't even left Indy for Detroit yet due to the weather, so he may show up or might not for Friday's airshow.

Saturday's show is also up in the air due to thunderstorms.

I'll keep you all updated throughout the weekend!
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't know it was happening. I am going to be downtown to tour the old train station one day or the other and I may head over to the Riverfest afterward to watch for a bit.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

alexp2805-

Post by alexp2805- » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:21 pm

RyanS wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't know it was happening. I am going to be downtown to tour the old train station one day or the other and I may head over to the Riverfest afterward to watch for a bit
No problem! It's a fun little show. Worth checking out!
0 x

alexp2805-

Post by alexp2805- » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 pm

At the end, they had two A-10's do a couple passes! Not sure if they will do it Saturday or Sunday as this wasn't even on the schedule!
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:16 am

Well I ended up on the riverfront today so I stuck around to see the airshow. Short show (not that I expected otherwise) that didn't seem to draw really any attention. The street magician that did a few tricks behind me immediately drew a larger crowd that I saw watching the flying.

The first act was a Great Lakes biplane with some slower-paced aerobatics. Since it didn't have a high RPM (loud) prop or smoke, it really didn't attract much attention at first. I even missed a couple maneuvers I think. I couldn't hear any announcer to clue me in, either. Then there was an unexplained hold for a while and we eventually got like 8 flat passes from the Tuskegee T-6 and a Harvard from Windsor. I guess someone isn't FAST carded because they got no closer than 500 feet from each other. Not a problem, just an interesting note.

After that a Pitts brought some noise and smoke and some faster-paced aerobatics, and pretty much stole the show. Not a surface waiver like Billy would have had (I guess he never made it), but the last knife edge pass was down really low so that was nice. The last act was the motorglider formation team with some flybys and an opposing pass and then 180 degree breaks. Some lady asked me what kind of jets they were and I couldn't help but chuckle.

Here are a few terrible photos from my travel camera - the only one I had on me today.
Attachments
20180623_153139large.jpg
20180623_153139large.jpg (319.67 KiB) Viewed 13163 times
IMG_6945large.jpg
IMG_6945large.jpg (151.71 KiB) Viewed 13163 times
IMG_6947large.jpg
IMG_6947large.jpg (101.06 KiB) Viewed 13163 times
IMG_6948large.jpg
IMG_6948large.jpg (122.9 KiB) Viewed 13163 times
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

captmjk16

Post by captmjk16 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:32 am

I was involved with the show a bit and have some insight into what happened yesterday.

The show started a bit earlier than anticipated and as I understand it, the stage/microphones weren't available to the announcers. Paul in the Great Lakes flew a few passes over the box prior to officially starting the show as well to get oriented and provide a wind PIREP to the other performers (particularly Team Tuskeegee).

The T-6/Harvard drivers aren't formation qualified yet, but it's something they're discussing for next year. With the limited vertical available to the performers (the TFR is only up to 3,000 to avoid the DTW Bravo airspace) the acro was restricted to the smaller aircraft. As for the pauses, there were multiple intrusions into the marine safety zone by recreational and commercial vessels at which point a knock it off was called.

Saturday's show stealing Pitts was flow by Tico LaCerda. Due to the provisions of the TFR/waiver he was flying the S-2B rather than Brett Hunter's old plane that is his primary mount.

Billy was held up by weather but did make it for Sunday's performance and put on a good show. Literally seconds after he exited the box, precip moved in and the control point staff all sprinted for cover, radios, cameras, and bags in tow.

More photos to come eventually. Here's a few for now from Friday.

Last edited by captmjk16 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:29 am

Makes sense, I didn't mean to sound bitchy in my first post if that's how it read. It just didn't seem to catch much attention at all until the Pitts wound up the prop. I don't think any of the performers could have really done anything differently to make it any different.

I did see this video posted to Facebook tonight showing some warbird flyovers on the river before the fireworks. Too bad the bombers were tied up with their own event on the weekend - but getting buzzed by Yankee Lady in A2 was AWESOME!

https://www.facebook.com/Local4/videos/ ... 840091002/
Last edited by RyanS on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

captmjk16

Post by captmjk16 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:11 am

It didn't read bitchy at all, just wanted to let you know what was up!

Without getting into too much detail the focus was more on safety than flying at the edge of the envelope knowing that the vast majority crowd down low wouldn't know the difference. Missing out on a bit of mic time is an unfortunate price to be paid being a small part of a much bigger event on Saturday, as were the few fouled box pauses due to river traffic.

The airshow fan in me would have loved to see more down low, but it was clear from the reactions of the crowd behind us that even Paul's high level maneuvers in the Great Lakes had them just as scared/thrilled as they would be seeing a jet team solo head on pass or Rob Holland's final approach.

More to come on the photo front soon!
0 x

captmjk16

Post by captmjk16 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:59 am

0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”