LIMA 2019, Langkawi Malaysia 29-30 March

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 pm

The photos in the tweets are almost certainly from Butterworth Air Base, not Langkawi, and were probably taken at all different times of day. Lighting-wise I wouldn't judge anything based on those photos.

The sun rises pretty much right in front of the showground so if you're in the show itself, the bulk of the opening ceremony display is looking right into sun unfortunately.

The direction of flight is... everything! Some elements will pass along the runway, some will approach the crowd head-on, and quite a lot will come from crowd rear. Often multiple things will happen at the same time: for example, last year, a big formation of Sukhois and Hawks, followed by a formation of PC-7s, came from crowd rear, while simultaniously an F-18 came from the front, dumping flares. The three elements intersected pretty much over the showground, with a big burst of ground pyro going off as they met. On another occasion we were watching two Flankers doing an opposition break out to our front when five Hawks came in from the rear and did a bomb burst right over us!

For me, the spectacle and appeal of the opening ceremony is about having all these big formations converging right over the top of you. For that reason, I was willing to sacrafice the good light to be near show centre. This is my video from 2017. I didn't catch everything. I had a pretty good idea of the show routine but it happened faster than I could possibly have imagined and trying to catch it all on camera is hopeless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09JP73Q2ImE&t=3s
The showground is invitation only on Tuesday but Site B will offer a similar view.

Site C will have excellent light, but is further away, and so you miss out on being right in the middle of it all - but you may think it's a worthy trade-off. I guess it depends whether you're after the photo opportunities or the experience of being right in the middle of a huge-scale aerial assault. This is from Site C.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xh5uSf97u8

Worth noting there are opening ceremony practice sessions at 8am on the days leading up to the show, so if you arrive in Langkawi early enough, you can use them to try different locations.
Last edited by Adam on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Bokimon

Post by Bokimon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Great! I will be there on the morning of the 25th and will use site C. I am looking for the more side on shots of the groups rather than under belly even though it would be tempting to be that close to show center. Otherwise I got Fri-Sat public days tickets.
I will be monitoring this as I head to SIN tonight.. Thanks for your help to this point adam!
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:48 pm

I hope you have a great trip! I really regret not being able to get there myself, I had such a great time two years ago. And if any of the information I gave was particularly useful or is now out of date, I'd be interested to hear about it.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:23 am

It gets better and better! Ten Su-30s, six F/A-18s and five Hawks!
https://twitter.com/uruharakenpachi/sta ... 5742412801
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:00 am

OPENING CEREMONY MANOEUVRE LIST
1) x1 F/A-18D high-speed low altitude pass from the left, then spiral climb and flare drop
2) x3 Su-30 arrive from crowd rear; bomb burst
3) x2 Su-30 arrive from show centre; opposition break
4) x2 F/A-18D arrive from crowd rear; break and flare drop
5) x5 Hawks arrive from show centre; bomb burst
6) x8 PC-7 & A400M arrive from the right; turn away from the crowd with coloured smoke
7) x2 A400M approach from the left, climb and break
8) x1 A400M approach from the right, climbs away
9) x2 Su-30s approach from crowd rear, split and return for an opposition pass
10) x2 S-61 arrive from crowd rear, pedal turns, split, orbit, pedal turns, split
11) x2 EC-725 arrive from crowd rear, pedal turns, split
12) x1 EC-725 arrives from crowd rear, pedal turn, low level orbit
13) GRAND FINALE - x8 PC-9 & x1 A400M approach from from, x2 Su-30 approach from rear and split. x3 Su-30, x2 F/A-18D & x5 Hawks approach from front; x1 F/A-18D approach from crowd rear, flare dump and spiral climb; ground pyro detonates

The entire display lasts 13 minutes. This is the most complete video yet, filmed from Site C during one of two early-morning rehearsal sessions today.
https://www.facebook.com/shigecebu/vide ... 845200598/

For the first time, following the opening ceremony there will be a multi-aircraft tactical display involving Su-30s and F/A-18s.

Sadly, despite the promising photos of huge formations (such as below) it doesn't look as if any such formations will actually appear at the show.
https://twitter.com/dney4504/status/1108856770326233093
Last edited by Adam on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

jacoberric

Post by jacoberric » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi Adam,

You provide very good information about LIMA-2019 In Malaysia.

The Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA) will take place from 26 to 30 March 2019. This is the ultimate event to see and you can take a large number of photos of Royal Malaysian Air Force aircraft. Furthermore, the show is visited by a fair number of aircraft from surrounding countries. A few years ago I have visited Malaysia, & joined the Lima event of 2017, which was a memorable part of my life.

Here is the link, please check,
https://omegaresearchfoundation.org/sit ... ountry.pdf
0 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”