National Cherry Festival Air Show

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
AvgeekAndy18

Post by AvgeekAndy18 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Lineup so far, will keep updated as more info comes!

USAF Thunderbirds
F22 Raptor Demo
F22 Raptor and P51 Mustang Heritage Flight
F18 Hornet TACDEMO
F18 Hornet and Grumman F8F Bearcat Legacy Flight
AV-8B Harrier Demo
USCG HH-60 SAR Demo
L-39 flight
Redline Airshows (2 Van’s RV-8s)
Matt Younkin Airshows (AT-7C Twin Beech 18)

Also some talk of a night airshow, not sure if it will happen!
Last edited by AvgeekAndy18 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 x

IDF783

Post by IDF783 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:37 am

Ack wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:02 am
IDF783 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:52 pm Pretty strong lineup! Never been - so I assume the show is over the beach and not at an airport?
That is correct. All aircraft take off from Cherry Capital Airport, but the show takes place over the south end of West Grand Traverse Bay. Show center is at Open Space Park, but people pack the beaches along the entire south end of the bay. It's a good idea to get there early for a decent spot.

Here is their website for more info on all of the activities going on....

https://www.cherryfestival.org

It's a pretty busy place that weekend!
Thanks for the info!
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:02 pm

There's also a Friday night open house at the airport.

https://www.cherryfestival.org/events/2 ... -open-ramp
0 x
Matt

mkoeh475

Post by mkoeh475 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:46 pm

I live in Oshkosh and am really wanting to see the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels this year. Is this show worth the 7hr drive? Or would I be better off braving Milwaukee or driving 5hrs to Duluth?
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat May 25, 2019 2:27 am

mkoeh475 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:46 pm I live in Oshkosh and am really wanting to see the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels this year. Is this show worth the 7hr drive? Or would I be better off braving Milwaukee or driving 5hrs to Duluth?
Check the second post in the thread for my thoughts on TC; it's more of a day at the beach with planes flying by than a real airshow. Depending on where you watch from, Milwaukee can be the same way and I have a hard time recommending either.

I tried to go to the Duluth show once, but the weekend was totally fogged out. The area is beautiful and I think of the 3 options I'd pick that one. Plus you get the full takeoff and landing experience which you don't get at the others.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

mkoeh475

Post by mkoeh475 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:12 pm

RyanS wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:27 am
mkoeh475 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:46 pm I live in Oshkosh and am really wanting to see the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels this year. Is this show worth the 7hr drive? Or would I be better off braving Milwaukee or driving 5hrs to Duluth?
Check the second post in the thread for my thoughts on TC; it's more of a day at the beach with planes flying by than a real airshow. Depending on where you watch from, Milwaukee can be the same way and I have a hard time recommending either.

I tried to go to the Duluth show once, but the weekend was totally fogged out. The area is beautiful and I think of the 3 options I'd pick that one. Plus you get the full takeoff and landing experience which you don't get at the others.
Thanks for the info! Milwaukee definitely gets mixed reviews from what I have been able to find. Maybe if the day is nice and I have nothing else going on I'll head over to Traverse City. I will definitely be at EAA for several days though.
0 x
Matt

mkoeh475

Post by mkoeh475 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 pm

I'm for sure going on Saturday. With having to drive 7 hours I don't want to risk it being bad when I get over there so I will be watching the weather forecast closely the few days before hand. Any must visit breweries in Traverse City?
0 x
Matt

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:47 pm

Not an airshow I will be going to, but curious about the Legacy Flight. I believe this is the first one so far this year that says that Ray Dieckman will be flying Legacy in a Bearcat. I'll be at The Great Pacific Airshow at Huntington Beach in October that has Ray listed also.

Just not sure what Bearcat he will be using, of course he used to be a big member of the Legacy team, but he sold his Bearcat to Dan Friedkin a while back.
0 x

PWJT8D

Post by PWJT8D » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:40 pm

mkoeh475 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 pm I'm for sure going on Saturday. With having to drive 7 hours I don't want to risk it being bad when I get over there so I will be watching the weather forecast closely the few days before hand. Any must visit breweries in Traverse City?
Of course the weather forecast can change a lot before now and the show but Saturday is showing a chance of storms. Sunday is looking very nice however.
Traverse City is an awesome brewery town. I've been to The Filling Station and North Peak Brewing Company. Right Brain Brewery is an area favorite. You can do a search in Google and have a look, plenty to choose from.
1 x
Andrew Thompson

mkoeh475

Post by mkoeh475 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:50 am

PWJT8D wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:40 pm
mkoeh475 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 pm I'm for sure going on Saturday. With having to drive 7 hours I don't want to risk it being bad when I get over there so I will be watching the weather forecast closely the few days before hand. Any must visit breweries in Traverse City?
Of course the weather forecast can change a lot before now and the show but Saturday is showing a chance of storms. Sunday is looking very nice however.
Traverse City is an awesome brewery town. I've been to The Filling Station and North Peak Brewing Company. Right Brain Brewery is an area favorite. You can do a search in Google and have a look, plenty to choose from.
I feel like an 80 year old saying it, but the forecasts have been horrible here this year. Last weekend they said all day rain for sunday and that was at 7pm saturday. Ended up being perfect out. I have a friend who will tag along so as of now I am heading over. I am way too excited for airshows to not go. EAA can't come soon enough! I love having it in my backyard.

Thanks for the brewery tips! I will check them out.
1 x
Matt

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”