Abbotsford International Airshow 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:52 pm

They're coming to Hillsboro...overall I consider this great news.
4 x

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Sorry
Attachments
6F06DD81-C9B7-4FCE-AA13-90638BCBA020.jpeg
6F06DD81-C9B7-4FCE-AA13-90638BCBA020.jpeg (121.41 KiB) Viewed 12231 times
3 x

SnowbirdsFanatic

Post by SnowbirdsFanatic » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:14 pm

RyanS wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm Dude, let it go...

Abby fans do not have a good reputation in the wider industry. Spamming the Red Arrows asking them to completely upend their plans to come to Abby will accomplish nothing except lowering that reputation further. The team doesn't even decide where they go anyway.
My apologies! I got a little too excited given my English heritage. And having volunteered at the AIA and being part of it all the fact that the AIA reputation is less than stellar on the international circuit is quite disappointing to say the least.

No I don't mind the 6 hour drive south to Oregon to see them at all.

But thank you for keeping me humble.

Cheers!
Last edited by SnowbirdsFanatic on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Gary 8-)

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:59 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:41 pm Not to mention that it would be impractical as the Red Arrows won’t even be ready to perform in time for Abbotsford.

Personally I don’t see the reason to sulk over the fact that we have 3 Aerobatic Display teams instead of four. I’m more than excited for this years lineup and I know there will more to look forward to in the coming months.
Well said fellow Abby fan. It's a sad shame some of our fellow fans have acted poorly; I'm from a place where the big airshow is remote and the security where the aircraft are parked is super tight so I just prefer Abbotsford.
0 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Chris Smallenberg wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:52 pm They're coming to Hillsboro...overall I consider this great news.
Yeah, the Oregon International Airshow seems to luckily be pulling in the international part lately. Last year, Snowbirds & CF-18. This year Red Arrows. Hope it continues, the venue is really great for photography!
0 x

SnowbirdsFanatic

Post by SnowbirdsFanatic » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:41 pm Not to mention that it would be impractical as the Red Arrows won’t even be ready to perform in time for Abbotsford.

Personally I don’t see the reason to sulk over the fact that we have 3 Aerobatic Display teams instead of four. I’m more than excited for this years lineup and I know there will more to look forward to in the coming months.
And for the record AirahowHawk - nobody is "sulking" here as you so eloquently put it. I am just as excited as always to attend the AIA and take in all that it has to offer!

This is a 'discussion forum' and if you scroll up you will see that I merely posed a question. I didn't suggest anything sinister in nature (spamming and the like) as Ryan.S put it. (Therefore It would behoove Ryan.S to qualify his inflammatory statement that "Abby fans do not have a good reputation in the wider industry", especially as this is a public forum.) Being a 40+ year fan / attendee in good standing makes me want clarification.

The Red Arrows actually welcome Facebook posts and "Thumbs up / Likes" on their pages. In fact the Red Arrows themselves were the ones who posted on their website release, and I quote again...

"Other public events, display locations and flypasts are still to be set, with engagement opportunities planned from coast-to-coast. Further announcements will follow as confirmations are made."

And last time I checked it wasn't a two day flight from Abbotsford to Gatineau. Yeh I know...it's a mute point.

But I digress....
Last edited by SnowbirdsFanatic on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Gary 8-)

mikeyb9

Post by mikeyb9 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:28 pm

RyanS wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm Dude, let it go...

Abby fans do not have a good reputation in the wider industry. Spamming the Red Arrows asking them to completely upend their plans to come to Abby will accomplish nothing except lowering that reputation further. The team doesn't even decide where they go anyway.
Hmmm, having lived here and seen first the highs and lows of this show, for over 30 thirty years, i can agree a bit with Ryan. We are spoiled on the west coast and thats why the selfish whining does happen at times. I think saying a good or bad rep is a opinion of some but not all. this isn't about that at all, its about whats best for the airshow community in whole, and Abby has a kick ass show that many would dream of seeing!! Spread the talent around for everyone to enjoy a bit. I myself am proud what they do every year, but fans are fans and we all have opinions. So lets try not to be spoiled, west coasters, and we cant get them all.

Just my 2 cents and i respect and enjoy you all.

PS Oregon is gonna kick ass as well this year!!
PSS Tacoma freedom Fair
PSSS Boundary Bay Airshow
4 great shows within 5 hours driving, west coast is doing good:)

Cheers Mike
1 x

mikeyb9

Post by mikeyb9 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Airplanefreak2000 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:07 pmSorry
Love it.

LMAO!!!
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:20 pm

SnowbirdsFanatic wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 pm And last time I checked it wasn't a two day flight from Abbotsford to Gatineau. Yeh I know...it's a mute point.

But I digress....
The Red Arrows aren't expected to arrive in North America until the day before the Abbotsford show (Aug 8) so logistically speaking even with fingers crossed, they wouldn't go out of their way to fly out to the west for 1 show without rest, practice and a proper sight survey. Regardless, my previous statement about sulking was not ill-intended and I apologize if it came off as that.

Now let's get back on topic here, who is excited for the Thunderbirds and their C-17 support aircraft? ;)
4 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:57 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:20 pm
SnowbirdsFanatic wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 pm And last time I checked it wasn't a two day flight from Abbotsford to Gatineau. Yeh I know...it's a mute point.

But I digress....
The Red Arrows aren't expected to arrive in North America until the day before the Abbotsford show (Aug 8) so logistically speaking even with fingers crossed, they wouldn't go out of their way to fly out to the west for 1 show without rest, practice and a proper sight survey. Regardless, my previous statement about sulking was not ill-intended and I apologize if it came off as that.

Now let's get back on topic here, who is excited for the Thunderbirds and their C-17 support aircraft? ;)
Thanks so much AirshowHawk. I'm stoked for the Thunderbirds, except I hope their support aircraft is a C-5!

Also stoked for the CF-18 Demo and the Snowbirds and more!
0 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”