Abbotsford International Airshow 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:51 am

Had a good time tonight. Traffic was pretty bad getting in. Lots of great food. Tons of great conversation with the crews of the CH-148, KC-135, and F-16s.

Static hit with some cancellations in the F-15, F-5, T-38, and CC-115. But all the heavy iron arrived.
Last edited by JA Boomer on Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Wingnut

Post by Wingnut » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Was a great show last night. Yes, besides the getting in part. Static line is one of the best in years. A400 was definitely the highlight. Got a chance to talk the the guys. That ac is brand new! 30hrs TT and 17 of those hours were spent getting here! Very cool. The C5 looked like it had just gotten there. No crew around, but I’m sure they’ll have it all opened up today.
Air show highlights were the cf18 (love the glow of the afterburners at night) the vampire, cc117. Got a couple of passes of the superhornets after the legacy flight. Bob freeman and Mike T were fantastic performers. Snowbirds opened, spectacular as usual. Capped off the night with Aeroshell and Manfred. Seemed like it was busier than usual? Maybe everyone looking at the forecasts :) We were in the Flight Line, great food and drink. Overall it was a fantastic night, going again tomorrow
2 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:37 pm

Fyi C17 4:30 pm today
0 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:37 am

Humza and the CF-18 Hornet tearing it up at the twilight show! Check out our new video and hit that subscribe button for more content!
CF-18 Moon 2019 1.jpg
CF-18 Moon 2019 1.jpg (103.15 KiB) Viewed 16068 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7X8qjb ... e=youtu.be
4 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Bokimon

Post by Bokimon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:58 am

How is the eurofighter typhoon mockup? Can people actually go sit inside it?
Other than that I heard today was a bit of a bust due to excess low ceilings and some rain even?
I am used to the 35 degree heat haze abby yabby like past years. This is quite a surprise!
0 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:32 am

More arrivals from Friday! Hard to believe the show is over already! Departures should be a lot of fun tomorrow!

Check out the C-5M pulling vapor on the overhead break here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcGqV7 ... e=youtu.be
3 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 am

Hey all. So the Germans say their plan is to leave at 10:00AM, and they may pull off a climb. Thunderbirds are gunning for around 10-11, but who knows, plans could change. Remember the Blues left pretty early last year. Thunderbird 9 told me if all goes according to plan, they will fly out with the F-16 aggressors together. That would be a real treat if they hook up fora quick pass. I am most looking forward to all the F16's taking off.
1 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:53 pm

As the show draws to a close, I’d say 2019 was a fairly successful event considering the circumstances.

The Friday show was well put together and the fireworks finale was the best I’ve seen with 20 minutes of pure excitement! The traffic was bad but not nearly anywhere near the disaster of last year on Friday. I think I spent a maximum of 35 minutes in the traffic lineup. Personally I don’t know what all the comments on social media about ‘exiting being a nightmare on Friday’ was all about because for me it was smooth and streamlined with no issues.

Saturday was a different story for traffic. Unfortunately 2+ hours to get in was not fun, but I had planned for it and I certainly didn’t miss too much. Saturday tends to be the busiest day and even with the dismal weather the turnout was big. The good news is that Sunday was streamlined and fast with not much waiting at all!

Now let’s get to the weather...

This year was hands down one of the wettest years for the airshow. It’s obvious that none of that is in our control and the organizers did their best to keep things running with the circumstances at hand. Yes, the Thunderbirds didn’t fly on Saturday and it pissed off a lot of people, but the claims on social media that this was the worst show ever are absolutely ridiculous. Unfortunately not everyone understands the various factors that need to be taken into account when it comes to these things and I wish people would get a better understanding of the situation before bashing the show. If the Thunderbirds could do “flybys” or “fly after the Snowbirds” they would have. Nothing to bash the show for. The organizers did the best they could and I don’t see this event being a failure at all.

Now let’s see some pictures and videos!
3 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:33 am

Thunderbirds departure from today. For some reason my video editing software caused some jumpiness which I could not get to go away even after several attempts but still looks good despite this. It's time to upgrade I think.

https://youtu.be/9oUXQjLx8i8
2 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:46 am

A great show despite a lot of challenges. Here's a video of the fan favourite C-5M Super Galaxy arrival and departure! Enjoy, and hit subscribe if you like what you see! Lots more to come in the coming days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ1uASlX9UM
2 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”