Toledo Air Show 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Any show with the F-100 has my attention. Might have to get this one on my radar, especially since I'll be missing Fort Wayne.

Anyone know if Tora is going to be performing with a B-17 or P-40 like they occasionally do? If that happens, and/or the Yankee Air Force birds and TBM listed on static are going to fly, that might make the decision easier. The tickets prices are still ridiculous though.
0 x
Matt

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:18 pm

There's a ticket special going for Father's Day. Good way to save on advance tickets if you're thinking of going. $27.50 is a lot more reasonable than paying $50 day of show. I'm actually planning on going to this now, mostly for the F-100 but there's enough military and warbird flying that I think it will be a solid show overall.

A bunch of updates to the military static aircraft lineup, including A-10, F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35, C-17, C-130, KC-135, T-6, T-38, CH-47 and UH-60. If even half of those show up, it will be a great static display.

Now the debate will be whether to go Saturday or to go Sunday and stay to the end to try to catch a few departures.
0 x
Matt

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:17 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:18 pm There's a ticket special going for Father's Day. Good way to save on advance tickets if you're thinking of going. $27.50 is a lot more reasonable than paying $50 day of show. I'm actually planning on going to this now, mostly for the F-100 but there's enough military and warbird flying that I think it will be a solid show overall.

A bunch of updates to the military static aircraft lineup, including A-10, F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35, C-17, C-130, KC-135, T-6, T-38, CH-47 and UH-60. If even half of those show up, it will be a great static display.

Now the debate will be whether to go Saturday or to go Sunday and stay to the end to try to catch a few departures.
You forgot the pretty red CT-133 from London. ;)
1 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:29 am

Chuter wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:17 pm
kalamazookid wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:18 pm There's a ticket special going for Father's Day. Good way to save on advance tickets if you're thinking of going. $27.50 is a lot more reasonable than paying $50 day of show. I'm actually planning on going to this now, mostly for the F-100 but there's enough military and warbird flying that I think it will be a solid show overall.

You forgot the pretty red CT-133 from London. ;)
Shoot, must have scrolled past that. Nice! Looking forward to seeing it fly at Thunder Over Michigan as well.
0 x
Matt

PWJT8D

Post by PWJT8D » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:22 am

kalamazookid wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:18 pm There's a ticket special going for Father's Day. Good way to save on advance tickets if you're thinking of going. $27.50 is a lot more reasonable than paying $50 day of show.
I went to purchase tickets with the code but darn, even for general admission they make you purchase a Saturday or Sunday ticket. How in the world am I supposed to know what day will have the better weather. My luck if I buy for Saturday it will be thunderstorms and clear skies for Sunday.
0 x
Andrew Thompson

Imladris18

Post by Imladris18 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm

PWJT8D wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:22 am
kalamazookid wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:18 pm There's a ticket special going for Father's Day. Good way to save on advance tickets if you're thinking of going. $27.50 is a lot more reasonable than paying $50 day of show.
I went to purchase tickets with the code but darn, even for general admission they make you purchase a Saturday or Sunday ticket. How in the world am I supposed to know what day will have the better weather. My luck if I buy for Saturday it will be thunderstorms and clear skies for Sunday.
This is why I never buy these tickets ahead of time.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 pm

Sad news. The Super Hornet Demo Team from VFA-106 will not be performing due to operational requirements.
1 x

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:13 pm

I go to a lot of airshows and I always try to go to both days "Just in Case". You get twice as many chances to see the One plane you have never seen before fly or for the sun to come out. The second day you know where the best place to sit is and when to expect the F-16 to sneak up from behind to do the high speed low altitude pass. I went all three days to Reading Pa airshow to see the real WW2 Japanese Zero fly and it only made it into the air on one of the three days. I went to the Royal International Air Tattoo both days in England a friend only went one day and missed the B-2 Stealth bomber fly over. If you have the time and the money go both days and maybe come back out for the departures on Monday. I caught the departures from Dayton Airshow and got pictures of the Nasa S-3 Viking flying that is going to be retired at the end of the year.
Anyone have any suggestions on the best locations to get pictures on Departure day ?

Toledo Airshow Tickets : On the airshow facebook page it said there was a discount code " soundoffreedom " for $10 off until July 8th when you order online.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Show schedule is up on the website: http://toledoairshow.com/guest-information/

12:15 Black Daggers Parachute Team
12:26 F-16 Fly-by
12:34 Rob Holland
12:43 Kent Pietsch
12:56 Shockwave
1:06 P-51D Mustang "Quick Silver"
1:19 F4U-4 Corsair "Korean War Hero"
1:38 Jacquie B
1:50 Randy Ball MiG-17, Dean Cutshall F-100 and F-16
2:06 Rob Holland
2:20 Tora, Tora, Tora
2:43 Kent Pietsch
2:56 A-10 Warthog Demonstration
3:07 Shockwave Jet Truck Race
3:19 Black Daggers Parachute Team
3:35 Kent Pietsch
3:43 Team Toledo F-16s

Looks pretty good considering the late cancellation by the Super Hornet. The A-10 will be a nice addition - I'm guessing it's probably from Fort Wayne.

I'll be there Saturday. Looks like the show line will be facing southeast. Does anyone who has been before have advice on where the hot ramp is likely to be? I like to sit near the aircraft when they start up. Any other tips appreciated.
0 x
Matt

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:23 am

Some highlights and tips for those who might want to go tomorrow:

If you've ever wanted to see a P-51, F-100 and F-16 in loose formation, you better go. There were two passes that would have been great photo opps, plus a head-on break and solo passes. It's not the tightest formation, but if you're in the right spot you should be able to get a shot. I didn't bother because I have neither the camera nor panning skills to keep up with that.

The F-16 airfield attack at the end of the show included flare drops. Again, if you've wanted to see this and haven't, here's your chance. The airfield attack itself is rather frustrating (five minutes of listening to garbled talking over the PA, followed by an attack pass, repeat that four times), but the flare drops are cool. The four-ship also shot a bunch of missed approaches afterwards, so you get good opportunities for low F-16 passes at the end. The four-ship that opened the show also each shot a missed approach after their two passes. Lots of good F-16 action from Team Toledo today.

This was by the far the most passes I've ever seen from the F-100 at any event. It flew as part of the Toledo lineage flight and stayed in the air for a sequence with the MiG-17. Probably 10-12 passes total, plus great views of the takeoff and landing with the drag chute.

Show center ended up being farther north than where it was officially marked. Not sure if that had to do with the wind being out of the SW, but most of the aircraft seemed to be centered on an area north of the announcer stand. I was in front of the KC-135 and that seemed to be pretty close.

If you're expecting an A-10 in the air based on the website schedule from earlier this week (the one I posted), you'll be disappointed. No A-10 flying today. FWIW, it's no longer listed on the website anyway.

Static display is very good - 2x F-35s (including a Norwegian), 2x F-15s (Westfield), A-10 (Fort Wayne), CF-18D, F-16, C-17 (Wright-Patterson), T-38 (special "Bulls" scheme), KC-135 (Rickenbacker) and C-130H (Mansfield), plus a few warbirds and other types.

Both B-25s flew, which was not listed on the schedule. Nice surprise.

The shuttle parking is really easy and well run. I parked at 8:45 and was at the gate by 8:55. Got on the second bus after the F-16s were done flying. Easy to leave the parking lot afterwards. If you don't want to deal with the shuttle, there might be VIP parking left for $20 and Loch Greenhouse is charging $10 to park in their lot, which is a short walk from the entrance.

I wasn't all that enthusiastic about this show all week and it turned to be well worth it. If I hadn't had the advance ticket, I likely wouldn't have gone and it ended being a solid show. Glad I made the trip today. Great job Toledo!

It actually looks like I got some decent pics too, so I'll try to post some tomorrow.
1 x
Matt

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”