EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:48 pm

0 x
Dan Gagnon

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm

iamsam2407 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:47 pm Thanks! With that knowledge I think I will make the Thunder show. I'd kick myself if this was one of the last good gatherings of Corsairs, and didn't go!
I agree, it'll be my first Thunder and I only decided on it because of this reason. I do think there is good hope for another even larger gathering in the future. A handful of Corsairs that aren't attending Thunder this year could be part of a gathering in a few years. At this point I can think of 7 more that are all viable for the next gathering...

-VWOC's FG-1D after substantial repair
-John O'Connors -7 after repairs
-WHF's FG-1D when restoration completes next year
-The 2 FG-1D's for sale on Platinum fighters (well now 3 with the new -5 added, but it's out of the country)
-Dakota Territory Corsair once it's out of the ownership lock
-Cavanaugh's once it's finished with being refreshed

Thunder says their budget is capped this year, it would take a joint operation to get 16-20 Corsairs together...
Last edited by GRNDP51 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:16 pm

0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:01 pm

I'd love to meet some of you during the week! I'll try to figure out a decent time for an AirshowStuff meetup and post here.
2 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

mkoeh475

Post by mkoeh475 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:48 pm

I"m new to the boards but I think that's a great idea.
0 x
Matt

claybird

Post by claybird » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Apologies for a brief deviation from talking about airplanes, but there's possibly enough overlapping interests and photogs who are always looking for a photo op that I figured I'd mention it here. The Union Pacific's just-restored Big Boy locomotive is going to be on tour through Wisconsin during the week of Airventure, and will be within reasonable driving distance from Oshkosh. I'm not quite sure if I can juggle fitting it in with work, weather, and a six hour road trip from Iowa, but the possibility of catching both the only airworthy Twin Mustang and the only operating example of the largest steam locomotive ever built in one trip.... Sure would be a fascinating look at the pinnacles of 1940's American engineering achievement. Link to their schedule.

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm
1 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Some more news releases as Airventure gets closer!

ACC Demos schedule released for the week:

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airv ... e-Released

List of aerial firefighting aircraft released:

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airv ... nture-2019

US Navy Legacy Flight aircraft list:

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airv ... nture-2019
Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

DanODell

Post by DanODell » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks for all the info. A few questions from a first-timer:

1. Will the Seaplane base be open on Sunday? I'm thinking about driving up Saturday night, but it looks like the main grounds won't be open until Monday? Any other options for Sunday?

2. I have a weekly parking pass. It looks like there are 4 parking lots. Which lot would be best?

3. I usually show up as soon as the gates open for most airshows, drop my chair, and go explore. Will this work? What location is best for viewing?

Thanks,

Dan
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:35 pm

DanODell wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:39 pm Thanks for all the info. A few questions from a first-timer:

1. Will the Seaplane base be open on Sunday? I'm thinking about driving up Saturday night, but it looks like the main grounds won't be open until Monday? Any other options for Sunday?

2. I have a weekly parking pass. It looks like there are 4 parking lots. Which lot would be best?

3. I usually show up as soon as the gates open for most airshows, drop my chair, and go explore. Will this work? What location is best for viewing?

Thanks,

Dan
1: Not sure, it is likely open but may be minimally staffed (no boat tours) and the shuttle may not run to it. Hopefully someone else can answer.

2: They have screwed with the parking lots each year. When you arrive in the morning, you will be funneled eastward on Waukau Ave. The blue lot is right at the main gate and is the main parking lot for people. It fills up quickly now that they have eliminated green and orange lots, so plan to be there by 8:30 or so. Earlier on Friday and Saturday when the big crowds come.

Warbird parking *may* be an option, it used to be our backup but went to permit only last year. This year is is marked as half permit anf half not, so I'm not sure if it is open.

Brown and Gray lot are dumb and essentially require a shuttle bus. Avoid at all costs.

Last year we took to Gold lot, which is separate from the rest. To get there you take the highway 26 exit from I41. It was far less crowded, and much closer to where we normally sit. We parked there every single day. One lesson learned is when leaving after a night show, take Knapp to Hwy N instead of any other way. This keeps you out of cross traffic and you will move a lot faster.

3: It is common to drop a chair, but as the seating area is also an active ramp you will need to keep it folded or in the sleeve. Lay it down along the line amd it usually doesn't get touched unless an aircraft needs to pull through. To be extra safe, try to get a spot immediately next to an airplane wing instead of in the middle of the taxi lane.

Show center is the Boeing Plaza taxiway, so you can sit a little left or right of that. Performer aircraft park in the grass in front of the crowd and will block takeoff shots. Over the years we have started sitting further right closer to the Hangar Cafe to get clean takeoff shots, but it puts us at the end of the aerobatic box.

Keep in mind that since people camp there the gates never really open or close. A lot of the fun is the arrival and departure period between when the airport opens and the airshow starting, so you may want to set time aside to watch that if it's busy. Cool stuff is randomly interspersed woth GA traffic so you always need to keep an eye out. Static displays change often and are moved around. As the show gets closer to start time the traffic thins so the best time to walk is right before the airshow.

Hope that helps!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:37 pm

One further thought; since you already bought your parking pass, don't be fooled by the non-EAA lots nearby. They'll have people in vests waving you in, but your pass won't work there. Stick to the official EAA lots and you'll be good.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”