EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:41 pm

Collings Foundation's new F6F-3N Hellcat was announced on the Airventure website this afternoon.
0 x
Matt

Nate_Burrows

Post by Nate_Burrows » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 pm

From EAA

“Calling all P-51 owners!

OFFICIAL RELEASE:
World War II ace Clarence “Bud” Anderson, a National Aviation Hall of Fame member who was a triple ace during World War II, will be saluted during warbirds activities at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2019, which is July 22-28 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

The program will be highlighted by a reunion of North American P-51 Mustangs, the aircraft flown by Anderson in his “Old Crow” markings during the war. EAA has invited all flying P-51 aircraft to Oshkosh for the event, particularly for a salute to Anderson during the Thursday, July 25, afternoon air show. Those flying demonstrations are part of AirVenture’s “Push to Victory” theme for World War II anniversaries, which also encompasses the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landing in Normandy.

“Bud Anderson is well known and lauded for his courage and abilities as a flying ace from World War II, so EAA wants to bring together as many P-51 Mustangs as possible to salute him,” said Rick Larsen, EAA’s vice president of communities and member programs, who coordinates AirVenture features and attractions. “His entire aviation career is also one for the record books, deserving of recognition at the World’s Greatest Aviation Celebration and another ‘Only at Oshkosh’ moment.”

P-51 Mustang owners interested in participating in this year’s activities can pre-register at the EAA.org/MustangsForBud website. EAA AirVenture is the world’s largest gathering of warbird aircraft – former military aircraft now privately owned – with more than 300 aircraft participating in displays and flying activities each year.

Anderson, who earned more than 25 awards during his military career, served with the renowned 357th Fighter Group based in England during World War II and totaled 16¼ air victories. His unit was credited with more than 600 air victories in 15 months – the highest pace of victories during the war. Following the war, Anderson flew and led flight test programs in Ohio and California, and also led fighter squadrons during post-war Korea and in Vietnam. He retired from the U.S. Air Force in 1972 and worked for more than a decade in flight test operations for McDonnell Aircraft.”
0 x
Nate Burrows
@HawkeyeAvGeek on Instagram & TikTok

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri May 03, 2019 10:26 pm

F-35 demo added during the week before it heads to Milwaukee. This likely means that it won't do double duty on the weekend, but I'm not sure

https://airshowstuff.com/v4/2019/f-35-d ... ture-2019/
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

IDF783

Post by IDF783 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm

RyanS wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:26 pm F-35 demo added during the week before it heads to Milwaukee. This likely means that it won't do double duty on the weekend, but I'm not sure
That's great news! But "AirVenture does not have a full-size aerobatic box" so demos will be limited to mini-demos. So I'm assuming all predecessor demo teams ie., F-22 have only done mini-demos?
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun May 05, 2019 1:50 pm

IDF783 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm
RyanS wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:26 pm F-35 demo added during the week before it heads to Milwaukee. This likely means that it won't do double duty on the weekend, but I'm not sure
That's great news! But "AirVenture does not have a full-size aerobatic box" so demos will be limited to mini-demos. So I'm assuming all predecessor demo teams ie., F-22 have only done mini-demos?
There have been a couple years where EAA has negotiated a full size box; 2014, 2016, and 2017 I believe. It was a requirement of hosting the Blue Angels/Thunderbirds/Snowbirds and that's why the teams did not perform there for many years. The ACC teams that were there during those years also were able to fly full demos, but all other years they have flown mini-demos.

When the box is in effect, the crowd has to sit further back than usual which means there are tons of planes in the way and it kind of ruins the rest of the show. I am glad they aren't using the box this year, I hate having to sit that far back.

For anyone curious, we have have videos of the mini-demos on our Youtube channel. The jets cannot roll or loop, but they can do the "non-aerobatic" passes like high speeds, high alphas, minimum radius turns, pitch outs, photo passes, and stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0nSJLxzZFg
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

IDF783

Post by IDF783 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:14 am

RyanS wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:50 pm
There have been a couple years where EAA has negotiated a full size box; 2014, 2016, and 2017 I believe. It was a requirement of hosting the Blue Angels/Thunderbirds/Snowbirds and that's why the teams did not perform there for many years. The ACC teams that were there during those years also were able to fly full demos, but all other years they have flown mini-demos.

When the box is in effect, the crowd has to sit further back than usual which means there are tons of planes in the way and it kind of ruins the rest of the show. I am glad they aren't using the box this year, I hate having to sit that far back.

For anyone curious, we have have videos of the mini-demos on our Youtube channel. The jets cannot roll or loop, but they can do the "non-aerobatic" passes like high speeds, high alphas, minimum radius turns, pitch outs, photo passes, and stuff like that.

Actually, I was at EAA the last couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed the F-22 and F-16 mini-demos of last year. In fact the F-22s stole the show in the year of the tanker. How much more this year in the year of the fighters!
0 x

claybird

Post by claybird » Mon May 06, 2019 2:27 am

IDF783 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:14 am
RyanS wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:50 pm

Actually, I was at EAA the last couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed the F-22 and F-16 mini-demos of last year. In fact the F-22s stole the show in the year of the tanker. How much more this year in the year of the fighters!
Kind of agree, I've seen probably 15-20 Viper demos flown by several different pilots going back to the days when there was a Viper East and Viper West. The way Rain did it at Oshkosh last year was some of the most exciting flying I've ever seen. The maneuvers they gave up to stay in the smaller box are a good trade to have such speed, noise, and raw power right in your face IMHO. The VFA-106 Super Hornet demos in 2016 I would say the same about.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon May 06, 2019 11:19 am

I'd rather see the mini-demos and keep the crowd line the way it usually is, but that's just me. Nice to see the three demo teams confirmed. That will make for some interesting Heritage Flight formations and hopefully arrival sequences throughout the week.
0 x
Matt

IDF783

Post by IDF783 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:11 pm

Totally agree. Keep the flight line in with minis. The F-22s last year were awesome with their many high speed passes low to show center. The F-16 by Rain so much impressed.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed May 08, 2019 10:24 pm

Announcement should be out fairly soon, but plan on the A-10 Demo Team being at AirVenture as well - that means all 4 ACC teams!
Attachments
IMG_6955web.jpg
IMG_6955web.jpg (65.56 KiB) Viewed 13992 times
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”