RAF Red Arrows announce 2019 North American Tour

Find out where your favorite performers will be! Be sure to check schedules for updates as they are always subject to change. Also post year-related performer information, such as music lists.
RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm

Flightline Uk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:06 pm Small change to the team, Flight Lieutenant David Simmonds has suffered a leg injury and will be replaced for the 2019 season by former team member Flight Lieutenant Mike Bowden who was about to leave the RAF.
I saw the FB video post but can't watch it here at work. I was wondering what the story was!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:34 am

I'm hearing rumors that the Reds have added Miramar to their schedule. Makes perfect sense as it fills the weekend between Hillsboro and Huntington Beach, September 28-29.

I had hoped they'd hit Miramar as I've always wanted to go there. If this is true, I have a difficult decision to make between trying a new show or heading to St. Louis with nearly all of my friends. My vacation days are largely spoken for.

This may open the door to additional airshows being added, which at this point I was skeptical would happen. Maybe London on the other open weekend?
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:10 pm

RyanS wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:34 am I'm hearing rumors that the Reds have added Miramar to their schedule. Makes perfect sense as it fills the weekend between Hillsboro and Huntington Beach, September 28-29.

I had hoped they'd hit Miramar as I've always wanted to go there. If this is true, I have a difficult decision to make between trying a new show or heading to St. Louis with nearly all of my friends. My vacation days are largely spoken for.

This may open the door to additional airshows being added, which at this point I was skeptical would happen. Maybe London on the other open weekend?
Rob Reider, Ric Peterson, and Matt Jolley have a podcast now, and it was mentioned on this episode that the Red Arrows would be appearing at Miramar. Fast forward to the last 2 minutes of the episode to hear about the Reds. I personally listened to the whole podcast. I found it entertaining, and it's fairly short (38 mins)

Here is a link to the podcast:

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb- ... Eao1hBJ1eQ
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:26 pm

That podcast is a great find. I've listened to a few minutes and I can tell already I'm going to enjoy this series. And I think that's a sufficiently solid source to run a news article...
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:45 pm

Miramar put up their schedule on the site. Some cool acts! And the Red Arrows confirmed.

http://www.miramarairshow.com/air-show-schedule-2019/
1 x

Air Strike Images

Post by Air Strike Images » Tue May 21, 2019 1:41 am

That's great to see the Red Arrows scheduled just before the Blue Angels when the sunlighting should be decent enough for good shots. Can't wait!!
0 x
Geoffrey Arnwine - Air Strike Images

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue May 21, 2019 7:43 am

I'm sure this will be of interest to you all. This is the Red Arrow's full display routine (5,500ft+ cloud base) for 2019.
Crowd Rear arrival in Nine Arrow*, loop, change to Short Diamond
Barrel roll in Shuttle/Eagle
Loop in Concorde, change to [unknown shape], enter 360 degree turn, change to Phoenix*
Barrel roll in Spitfire
Tornado* (1-7 90 degree turn in Spear, 8 & 9 barrel roll around)
Palm split* (1-5, 8 & 9 upwards bomb burst, 6 & 7 opposition break)
Gypo pass (6-9 opposition pass)
Cyclone (6-7 opposition 180 degree turn)
Goose* (1-5 & 8 opposition pass)
Heart & spear (6-8)
Vice-versa (6-7 opposition pass)
Vertical break (1-5 & 8-9 downwards bomb burst)
Carousel* (6-7 opposition 360 degree turn)
Python* (1-5 double barrel rolls in Leader's Benefit)
Corkscrew* (6-7 inverted, 8-9 barrel roll around)
Rollbacks* (1-5 in Battle, x4 rollbacks)
Gypo Break* (6-9 syncronised rolls and opposition break)
Opposition barrel rolls* (6-7 opposition pass)
Vixen break* (1-5 & 8-9 traditional bomb burst)

For the rolling show (2.500-5,500ft), the first half will be similar, but loops will be replaced with barrel rolls or turns. In the second half:
Palm Split will be replaced by the Detonator* (1-5 bomb burst, then 6-9 opposition break)
Heart & Spear will be replaced by the Vortex* (6-8 synchronised barrel rolls and opposition break)
Vertical break will be replaced with Revolution* (1-5 & 8-9 twinkle rolls)

The flat display (1,000-2,500ft) is very similar to the rolling display except barrel rolls in the first half are replaced with flat passes, turns and reversals. In the second half, the Python is replaced with the Slalom (1-5 perform flat 360 degree turn starting in Line Astern, change to Reverse Battle, slalom change to Battle*)

I have denoted with an asterisk parts of the display where coloured smoke is used.

On the whole it's not too different from the 2008 routine you may have seen before. The main difference will be the addition of Tornado, a new crowd-favourite manoeuvre developed over the past few seasons.
4 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

RFDGuy

Post by RFDGuy » Tue May 21, 2019 5:15 pm

Nice! Thanks!
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 am

The Red Arrows were awarded their PDA in Greece today. This will allow them to start their display season this weekend at the Torbay Airshow.
https://twitter.com/rafredarrows/status ... 4586106881

I also see that Miramar have now officially confirmed the team on social media.
Last edited by Adam on Wed May 29, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 pm

The Reds have added two Canadian stops to their tour schedule, one on each coast:

https://airshowstuff.com/v4/2019/red-ar ... ican-tour/

Also I'll be editing the first post in the thread to contain the latest schedule as it's a little tricky to keep track of in the discussion
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com