Blue Angels Frequencies

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
Matt21

Blue Angels Frequencies

Post by Matt21 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:35 am

I'll be watching the Blue Angels in Cape Girardeau this weekend. I just attempted to program BA frequencies I've found both here and on other sites into my radio. My radio will not accept any of the frequencies. I can program frequencies for other military demo teams like the Thunderbirds, but not the Blue Angels. Thoughts?
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat May 18, 2019 4:33 am

Matt21 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:35 am I'll be watching the Blue Angels in Cape Girardeau this weekend. I just attempted to program BA frequencies I've found both here and on other sites into my radio. My radio will not accept any of the frequencies. I can program frequencies for other military demo teams like the Thunderbirds, but not the Blue Angels. Thoughts?
Only certain scanners can get the military range (roughly 200s and 300s), which the Blues use for all frequencies. The Thunderbirds have some that are either in the civilian band or close enough that almost any scanner can get them, but the solos use a 200 freq I believe.

I'm afraid you're out of luck unless you drop some cash on a new scanner!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

SnowbirdsFanatic

Post by SnowbirdsFanatic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:02 pm

RyanS wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:33 am
Matt21 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:35 am I'll be watching the Blue Angels in Cape Girardeau this weekend. I just attempted to program BA frequencies I've found both here and on other sites into my radio. My radio will not accept any of the frequencies. I can program frequencies for other military demo teams like the Thunderbirds, but not the Blue Angels. Thoughts?
Only certain scanners can get the military range (roughly 200s and 300s), which the Blues use for all frequencies. The Thunderbirds have some that are either in the civilian band or close enough that almost any scanner can get them, but the solos use a 200 freq I believe.

I'm afraid you're out of luck unless you drop some cash on a new scanner!
The Thunderbirds also use frequencies in the 200-300 MHz AM range. I have recently put the purchase on some Bearcat BCT15X mobile scanners. I personally find them to be an excellent choice and I love that they have an alpha-numeric display that gives you config options. They also have handheld versions available. The handheld I use is a Realistic Pro-668 or Whistler 1080 equivalent that does the same job as the mobile-sized scanner nicely and fits in a shirt pocket!

Also, as Ryan eluded to, unless you have a 'newer' scanner that allows you to change the RX mode to AM in the VHF range (138-174 MHz) you will not be able to hear the Thunderbirds on anything other than the usual civilian air frequencies (Tower, Ground, etc)

Hope this helps.
0 x
Gary 8-)