The Blades to "go global" & upgrade to GameBird GB1

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:27 am

kalamazookid wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:48 am I'm not specifically familiar with The Blades, but having seen GameBird in action, I'm betting this is going to be a real showstopper. I'm not normally into aerobatic-type aircraft, but the GameBird is really impressive and I can only imagine what they will be like in the hands of ex-RAF pilots. I look forward to hearing and seeing some impressions once they debut with the new aircraft.
I agree. The Blades are just about the top civilian aerobatic team in their class - they're all ex-Red Arrows and the Blades' routine is, if anything, even slicker and more complex than their military counterparts. This is an old video, and not all that good, but it gives a pretty good idea of the quality of the team without taking up too much time.

So far it's only Blade 5, the spare aircraft, that has lost its branding, but my understanding is that all four of their Extra 300s will have other, permanent commitments which will start to ramp up in the coming days and become full-time from next spring - so I would assume that means the Gamebirds will be ready soon enough to train up a new display routine for the 2022 season.
1 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator