What Airshow Act Do You Miss?

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
awal2049
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:00 am
Location: Havelock, NC
Contact:

Re: What Airshow Act Do You Miss?

Post by awal2049 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:14 am

I miss the Black Diamond jet team. They flew a diamond formation of l-39's painted in arctic camouflage and had Mig-17's as solos. They also had a T-33 that they occasionally flew with the diamond. They stopped flying air shows after the 2014 season.

https://www.milavia.net/airshows/nas-oc ... 12_111.jpg
Credit to Dave O'brien of milavia for this photo.

One of the Mig's has appeared for solo demonstrations since the team stopped flying together. They were a world-class act.
0 x

User avatar
RyanS
Posts: 2032
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Contact:

Post by RyanS » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:09 am

awal2049 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:14 am
I miss the Black Diamond jet team. They flew a diamond formation of l-39's painted in arctic camouflage and had Mig-17's as solos. They also had a T-33 that they occasionally flew with the diamond. They stopped flying air shows after the 2014 season.

https://www.milavia.net/airshows/nas-oc ... 12_111.jpg
Credit to Dave O'brien of milavia for this photo.

One of the Mig's has appeared for solo demonstrations since the team stopped flying together. They were a world-class act.
You mean this one? It's now owned by Jeff Kaney and based in Rockford, IL. I don't think he has his aerobatics card in it.
DSC_8034web.jpg
DSC_8034web.jpg (116.59 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

awal2049
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:00 am
Location: Havelock, NC
Contact:

Post by awal2049 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:28 pm

RyanS wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:09 am
awal2049 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:14 am
I miss the Black Diamond jet team. They flew a diamond formation of l-39's painted in arctic camouflage and had Mig-17's as solos. They also had a T-33 that they occasionally flew with the diamond. They stopped flying air shows after the 2014 season.

https://www.milavia.net/airshows/nas-oc ... 12_111.jpg
Credit to Dave O'brien of milavia for this photo.

One of the Mig's has appeared for solo demonstrations since the team stopped flying together. They were a world-class act.
You mean this one? It's now owned by Jeff Kaney and based in Rockford, IL. I don't think he has his aerobatics card in it.

DSC_8034web.jpg
Yes, that's the one. Do you know the status of the team? It's strange that they would just stop performing.
0 x

User avatar
RyanS
Posts: 2032
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Contact:

Post by RyanS » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:01 am

awal2049 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:28 pm
RyanS wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:09 am
awal2049 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:14 am
I miss the Black Diamond jet team. They flew a diamond formation of l-39's painted in arctic camouflage and had Mig-17's as solos. They also had a T-33 that they occasionally flew with the diamond. They stopped flying air shows after the 2014 season.

https://www.milavia.net/airshows/nas-oc ... 12_111.jpg
Credit to Dave O'brien of milavia for this photo.

One of the Mig's has appeared for solo demonstrations since the team stopped flying together. They were a world-class act.
You mean this one? It's now owned by Jeff Kaney and based in Rockford, IL. I don't think he has his aerobatics card in it.

DSC_8034web.jpg
Yes, that's the one. Do you know the status of the team? It's strange that they would just stop performing.
The team was an offshoot of Draken International, which does contract flying for the US military. Their contracting business has grown quite big and the focus shifted away from airshows accordingly. It's not like there is much money in airshows to keep them active, anyway. I wish they were still around also!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

User avatar
CJAM427
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:16 pm
Location: Manitowoc, WI

Post by CJAM427 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 pm

I agree with every act that's been mentioned, especially F-15, A-10, John Moore, and Jim Leroy. I'll add Jim "Fang" Maroney to that list -his act had gotten really good in his last couple seasons performing.

All of the above were regulars at my hometown airshow "Thunder on the Lakeshore" which I really miss too. My house sits SE off the main runway, which was directly in the flight path of the military demos. I have a vivid memory of an F-15 tearing over my backyard nearly inverted and being able to basically look in the pilot's eyes (well visor).

Here's a tribute collage I put together after Jim Maroney passed, all of the photos were taken here in Manitowoc.
Image
0 x

User avatar
SnowbirdsFanatic
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Post by SnowbirdsFanatic » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:07 pm

I definintely have to agree about missing the "Top Gun" F-14 Tomcat!!!

Would love to see the Mig-29 and Mig-31 fly again! And speaking of the Russian groupings - what a treat is was to see the AN-225 fly!!

Hopefully one day I will get to see Patrouille de France flying at the Abbotsford International Airshow!
0 x
Gary 8-)

JAckrmn
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Post by JAckrmn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Now what I miss is “FIFI” the b-29 because I only saw it once a few years ago when I wasn’t really in to aviation as much as I am now. I remember getting a shot of it at Thunder Over Michigan back in ‘15 with a lancaster and the movie Memphis Belle.
E4B1327A-0476-4894-A81B-565D7AF456D3.png
E4B1327A-0476-4894-A81B-565D7AF456D3.png (768 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
8-)
0 x

User avatar
Eaglefan91
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:42 am

Post by Eaglefan91 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:57 am

F-15C Eagle and F-15E Strike Eagle Demo Teams
Black Diamond Jet Team
Wyatt Fuller's F-86 Sabre
Red Baron Pizza Squadron
F-117
Don "Beetle" Bailey L-29 Delfin
More military participation in shows
0 x

User avatar
aero-engineer
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:25 am

Post by aero-engineer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:21 am

F-14 Demo
Red Baron Squadron
Northern Lights
Bob Hoover
Jimmy Franklin
Jim Leroy
C-130s with JATO bottles
Pirate Skys
Team America used to put on a nice show
The Pitts acts of the 90s (Ray Bans, Holiday Inn/Coca Cola, Iron Eagles)

Kevin
aero-engineer
0 x

RIAT617
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 am

Post by RIAT617 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 am

F-14 Demo
F-15C Demo
F-117 Demo
Greg Poe in the Edge 540 and MXS
Bill Reeseman and the Red Bull MIG-17
Wayne Handley and the Raven
Eric Beard and the Russian Thunder Yak 54
Steve Appleton and the Hawker Hunter
And the list goes on.....
0 x

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests