Corona virus, Covid-19 and airshows?

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:51 pm

Flightline Uk wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:51 am Comparison between countries isn't really possible as the various outbreaks will all have different characteristics and there are different rates/types of testing. The same goes for containment and delay techniques used by different countries. What worked in China has not necessarily helped other countries that tried the same methods. Nor is the outbreak going to a short term issue and it will not be dealt with by the summer. That does not mean events will inevitably be cancelled - there are mitigation measures that can employed and there's little point to over-reacting when we don't know how things will play out.
Agreed. Being in Florida, I'll start panicking if Disney, Universal, SeaWorld & Busch Gardens get closed.

Caution is certainly warranted and I honestly wouldn't want to be in the shoes of the event organizers and performers (civilian, in particular). Unfortunately, it's going to be a wait-and-see approach for quite a while.
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:42 am

Aqaba Airshow appears to have fallen to the virus outbreak. See German airshow announcer Uwe Ramerth's post in the following Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/395074183972305 No official word yet though.

It is however not really surprising considering the line Jordan has been taking recently with flights from infected regions and its border crossings. Even a week ago, it looked somewhat difficult for the Italian Pioneer Team to attend despite their aircraft already being there. Sad for the region and an almight faff for the display teams taking part who have aircraft stranded.
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:21 am

This is indeed very disappointing and it is now official. Luckily it doesn't really speak for airshows more generally as the Aqaba Airshow had the purpose of attracting tourists and it's being cancelled because teams and visitors will struggle to get to Aqaba, rather than because of the risk of virus spread actually at the show. Two replacement dates in the coming months are being considered. I believe all or most of the aircraft are still boxed up so it shouldn't be particularly hard to ship them home again if needed.
Last edited by Adam on Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:34 am

Adam wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:21 am This is indeed very disappointing and it is now official. Luckily it doesn't really speak for airshows more generally as the Aqaba Airshow had the purpose of attracting tourists and it's being cancelled because teams and visitors will struggle to get to Aqaba, rather than because of the risk of virus spread actually at the show. Two replacement dates in the coming months are being considered. I believe all or most of the aircraft are still boxed up so it shouldn't be particularly hard to ship them home again if needed.
Time to replan that trip! :D
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:36 pm

RyanS wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:34 am
Adam wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:21 am This is indeed very disappointing and it is now official. Luckily it doesn't really speak for airshows more generally as the Aqaba Airshow had the purpose of attracting tourists and it's being cancelled because teams and visitors will struggle to get to Aqaba, rather than because of the risk of virus spread actually at the show. Two replacement dates in the coming months are being considered. I believe all or most of the aircraft are still boxed up so it shouldn't be particularly hard to ship them home again if needed.
Time to replan that trip! :D
That old saying about salt and wounds springs to mind. There go 4 days of my life I'll never get back!
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:39 pm

At the military base shows, the question is, will the DOD risk the health of its sailors, soldiers, Marines and airman and allow the possibly contaminated public on to the bases?

Maybe just do beach shows or off-site shows like they did immediately after 9/11.

How about Navy Fleet Weeks? Does the Navy want the contaminated public on to their ships and risk the health of their sailors? I see New York Fleet Week in May in jeopardy.
0 x

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:51 pm

DOD will probably cancel any Demo Team meet and greets that are done after the pilots land.

I guess no Blue Angel/Thunderbird/ACC single ship autograph sessions after landing.
0 x

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:53 pm

On a positive note, DOD did send the F-22 Demo Team and other equipment to Singapore Airshow in February.
0 x

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:12 pm

Saw a post on MacDill AFB's FB page, sorry can't link it from here, where someone asked about cancelling the show due to corona. The answer was that the show is still on as planned, but any changes would be announced on the website and FB pages.

This one is planned as my first airshow of the year, followed by Sun-N-Fun the next week. I guess we just need to wait and see what happens. IF they end up being cancelled, then I wouldn't have too much hope for the rest of the season.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:59 pm

March ARB has become the first US show to call it off. Officially they say postponed to a later date but it sure seems like canceled.

https://airshowstuff.com/v4/2020/march- ... ronavirus/
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com