Corona virus, Covid-19 and airshows?

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:05 am

Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Thu May 28, 2020 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:49 am

0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:51 pm

Flightline UK is conducting a survey to hear from the public about what they'd like to have back when aviation events get the green light as well as concerns surrounding COVID-19.

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2020/05/fu ... te-survey/
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Sat May 30, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat May 30, 2020 9:06 pm

n33d4sp33d_85 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:51 pm Flightline UK is conducting a survey to hear from the public about what they'd like to have back when aviation events get the green light as well as concerns surrounding COVID-19.

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2020/05/fu ... te-survey/
I'm afraid I don't understand the point of this survey, for two reasons. Firstly, it asks when we, the public, will be willing to return to airshows, but without giving any indication of how quickly we should expect to dissipite. If it asked how long we would wait if the virus declined quickly and the lockdown was lifted by mid-summer, maybe I could give an answer, but it doesn't say that, so I can't. Do I assume, when answering, that the much-feared second wave will materialise, or not? Do I predict a vaccine or effective treatment will be found later this year? Or next year? Or never? All seem equally likely at the moment. And what of social distancing measures at airshows? My criteria for attending a drive-in airshow would be very different to attending a traditional one. Obviously, all these factors would totally change my answers.

Secondly, the survey is being circulated in various aviation-centric groups, and naturally will be answered almost entirely by aviation enthusiasts. These people will be keener than the general population to get back on an airfield - but it is the general population, not us enthusiasts, who make up the vast majority of airshow crowds. Is there not a danger that this survey produces an impossibly high statistic that "85% of the UK public" want to attend an airshow this year, which people then take as gospal without reference to that rather crucial context?

It strikes me as a well-intentioned but ultimately ill-thought-through piece of work, which is impossible to answer accurately and which won't produce any meaningful data even if people try. I'm sure the Events Industry Forum etc will be pulling out all the stops to get exactly this kind of data when the time comes, but will be able to do so in a much more useful and representitive way.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Sun May 31, 2020 11:54 am

Adam,

Firstly, I'm the first to admit it is not a perfect scientific survey. It is short by design and is there to get a general picture of what appetite there is for people to return to airshows and what (if anything) people attending would like to see to address any concerns they may have. Though it has been a Flightline UK initiative there is no intention to compete with industry bodies like the Event Industry Forum, the British Air Display Association or any similar projects by events themselves. Infact quite the opposite is true. The survey has been positively recieved by the airshow industry (BADA/EAC and event organisers etc) and I have already made available the intial results from the first 1,000 replies to EOs and others in the industry that can use the information. (Note: Though UK based, responses are welcome from the US or anywhere else. Equally, if any US airshow organisers wish to see the results please get in touch via contact page on http://www.air-shows.org.uk)

The full results will be published on Flightline UK for all to see once the survey has closed.

The survey will continue to run for a number of weeks and I am trying to get it cast to as wide as audience as possible with the help of others. I fully recognise that die-hard enthusiasts do not make up the majority of the airshow audience but equally they are an important part. The response by a 'RIAT Nutter' or 'Thundrbirds super fan' is just as useful and welcome as the average family looking for a good day out or weekend away.

I don't think suggesting any potential scenarios over potential vaccine availability/virus reproduction would have been useful. To suggest potential avenues by which events could return could be misinterpreted and the survey simply isn't about that. No one can tell what is going to happen over the next few weeks, months or even years but we can prepare to live with the virus and at some point this year or in the future Governments/Authorities will feel able to allow events to go ahead with some precautions. (Many countries have already suggested dates by which time large events could return.)

Finally I'd just like to reiterate that the survey is open to all wherever you may be based and you can complete it via https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2020/05/future-air-displays-public-appetite-survey/ . ALL responses are gratefully received.
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Sun May 31, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:39 pm

After what was a disappointing start of the year it seems like there is a light at the end of the tunnel as the first official confirmations are starting to flow once again! The Flying Bulls Austria confirmed yesterday that they will participate at the Bucharest International Airshow on the 5th of September 2020! With more and more restrictions being lifted It seems like we might see a number of premier European Airshows going ahead this year!

Major Airshows currently planned to go-ahead include:

• Wings Over Baltics Airshow 2020 (LV)
• LOTOS Gdynia Aerobaltic (PL)
• Meeting International de la Somme - Hauts (FR)
• La Ferté-Alais Meeting Aérien: Le Temps des Hélices (FR)
• Bucharest International Air Show (RO)
• Jersey Air Display (GB)
• Guernsey Air Display (GB)
• Paris - Villaroche AIR LEGEND (FR)
• Dny NATO v Ostravě / NATO Days in Ostrava (CZ)
• Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show (GB)
• Meeting Aérien de Roanne 2020 (FR)
• Malta International Airshow (MT)
• Meeting Aérien Des Étoiles et des Ailes 2020 (FR)
• Festa al Cel (ES)
• Festival Aéreo de Motril (ES)
• Axalp Swiss Air Force Live Fire Demo (CH)
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:48 pm

0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Sun May 31, 2020 3:37 pm

Paul - I want to help, I really do, and I do think this kind of market research into airshows generally is potentially very valuable. But I really, genuinely don't know how to answer for Question 5, which is arguably the key question, because I'm sure that most reasonable people will return to airshows based on situational change, rather than at an arbitary date selected before the pandemic is fully understood - yet Q5 only allows the latter. Perhaps a more useful wording for this question would ask:

When would you next consider attending an airshow?
  • As the earliest possible opportunity
  • Not until after several other airshows have been held successfully
  • Not until the pandemic is over
  • Not until there is a widely-implemented vaccine
  • Not until there is a widely-implemented vaccine and the pandemic is over
That question is quite easy to answer. Stating whether I'd wait until 2021 or until 2022 for my next show, without the aid of a crystal ball, is not. As I said, I really would like to help, but I don't feel I can give any answers that are accurate, honest, or particularly useful.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:48 am

0 x