Iran Sets Up Aerobatic Team

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
n33d4sp33d_85

Iran Sets Up Aerobatic Team

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:50 pm

The new jets, which are copies of the F-5F Tiger II, are painted in Black Eagles colour schemes and their pilots wear Frecce Tricolori helmets. And it's not the first time Iran has done this...
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:56 pm

It's astounding how crazy they are about copying other teams. @Adam found some great examples while researching! They've had mock Thunderbirds and Blue Angels in the past too.

I just can't understand why they'd so directly rip off other teams, even the helmet design! What do they gain??
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:14 am

RyanS wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:56 pm It's astounding how crazy they are about copying other teams. @Adam found some great examples while researching! They've had mock Thunderbirds and Blue Angels in the past too.

I just can't understand why they'd so directly rip off other teams, even the helmet design! What do they gain??
My thoughts exactly. The Blue Angels in 2007, I kind of understand, as that was almost certainly a bit of anti-US trolling. But Italy and South Korea? Why them?! The Thunderbirds copy wasn't trolling either, as Iran and the US were pretty staunch allies at that point. There's just no pattern I can discern.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator