tailhook legacy flight

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
Maverick_Kenwei

tailhook legacy flight

Post by Maverick_Kenwei » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:28 pm

I just havw a question: does the US Navy still include sb2c in the tailhook legacy flight because I thought it used to be in the legacy flight but for some reason, it got remove so I just wanna know what happened. Also does the legacy flight includes f6f, f4f and f8f?
Last edited by Maverick_Kenwei on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ken Wei

wfooshee

Post by wfooshee » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:24 pm

Legacy Flight may include whatever aircraft are available at the event. There's not a fixed set of aircraft that tour for those. I've seen Hellcats, Wildcats, a Dauntless, usually flying with a Super Hornet, and nowadays the F-35C might be used as the modern aircraft.

The coolest one I ever saw was at the Blue Angels Homecoming in 2011, the year they had the Century of Naval Aviation. The Tailhook Legacy Flight was a Helldiver, a Corsair, and a Super Hornet.

However, they also had a flying replica of the Curtiss D-III that in 1911 made the first landing, and then takeoff, from a ship.

They had the Legacy flight fly a really big circle while the very slow Curtiss stayed closer to home, and this happened; 100 years in one image!

There was also a Bearcat and a Dauntless at this show, although they did not fly the Legacy Flight.

Last edited by wfooshee on Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:35 pm

wfooshee wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:24 pm They had the Legacy flight fly a really big circle while the very slow Curtiss stayed closer to home, and this happened; 100 years in one image!
I had never seen or heard about this; that's really cool!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com