Gary Ward Retires from the Airshow Circuit

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
Adambadger88

Gary Ward Retires from the Airshow Circuit

Post by Adambadger88 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:17 pm

From Gary Ward's Facebook:
Link: https://www.facebook.com/gary.ward.3154 ... 1340024266

Wednesday, April 6, 2022, I performed at the SUN 'n FUN airshow in Lakeland, Florida. Current technology allows the flight path of properly equipped aircraft to be tracked and plotted. The photo below shows the track of my flight at Lakeland. This is probably the “tightest” routine I have ever flown.

My performance on Wednesday is likely the last one I will ever do. I do not have any more shows booked nor have I tried to book any. I performed my first airshow in 1998 at age 57 and am now 80 years old. I started at an age when most aerobatic performers have given it up. It has been quite a “journey”. During the past 24 years I have performed airshows all over North America, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.

Here is a list of some of them:
*3 shows in Anchorage, Alaska; 4 shows in Valdez, AK.]
*Numerous shows in Canada in the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
*Numerous shows in Mexico including Acapulco, Mazatlan, Cozumel, Cancun and Queretaro.
*Numerous shows in Central America including Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala.
*2 in the Cayman Islands
*2 shows in Jamaica
*1 show in Guadeloupe (way down in the Caribbean chain)
*1 show in the Turks and Caicos Islands (Caribbean).

I hate to pick favorites but there are a few standouts:

The Pensacola Beach Airshow: I have flown this show about 16-18 times since 2002, more than any other show. It is a fun show and I have been flattered that they keep asking me back.

SUN 'n FUN, Lakeland, FL: I have flown this event maybe as many times as Pensacola. This is always fun because so many of my aviator friends attend this annual 6 day event.

Valdez, Alaska: This is my favorite location to perform mainly because of the mountain in back of the runway. There is no other place like this to my knowledge. It is so much fun to “play around” with this mountain during an airshow and it is legal! People tell me the loud sound of my aircraft echoes and reverberates off the mountain. The show is in May and the air is cool and the airplane performs well. And the people are great. The trip across Canada to Alaska is an adventure in itself. And side trips to Talkeetna, AK are great and I have made many friends there.

Iztapa, Guatemala: This show is a private event put on by the Aeroclub de Guatemala on their private grass airstrip on the Pacific Ocean. Iztapa has become one of my favorite places in the world and I have made many friends in Guatemala.

Ilopango, El Salvador: I have done numerous shows here and have made many friends. El Salvador is the smallest country in Central America but it is so beautiful with the volcanos, mountains and Pacific Ocean and I love the people.

Cozumel Mexico: I did many shows at a private airport here and we had some great times and made many fiends. Unfortunately, the shows here stopped following the death of the owner of the airstrip.

These last 24 years have been very rewarding. I am very appreciative of my fans and friends who have supported me and I appreciate the event organizers who have hired me. You are the ones who have made it possible for me to have this great experience!

I still have a R44 helicopter, a Super Cub and a J3 Cub and I plan to do a lot more flying!

Note: in the photo below, the long line on the right is not my takeoff but my landing. I first did a "photo pass" going to the right, then rolled inverted, pushed up to a 45 degree up line, did a 4-point roll back to inverted, pushed over the top and did a radical slip to a landing.
278358291_10160151335574266_2388908560026117048_n (1).jpg
278358291_10160151335574266_2388908560026117048_n (1).jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
The airshow industry congratulate Gary Ward following his final performance. Image taken by: Ken Rieder.
Gary Ward.jpg
Gary Ward.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
Last edited by Adambadger88 on Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
0 x

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:29 pm

Good for him. The fact that he flew the way he did at that age is just remarkable. My body isn’t even durable enough for that now. I wish I could have seen him one last time, but I have a lot of good memories and some pretty good videos. Hard to see, but I got him to sign my Thunderbirds hat the last time I saw him, which was in Cheraw in 2019.
Attachments
3262568A-BAA7-4717-9184-30395103F909.jpeg
3262568A-BAA7-4717-9184-30395103F909.jpeg (431.61 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
0 x