Blue Angels (Slightly) Changed High Speed Pass After Super Hornet Transition

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
awal2049

Blue Angels (Slightly) Changed High Speed Pass After Super Hornet Transition

Post by awal2049 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:24 pm

Interesting read. Apparently, the Blue Angels incurred $180,000 in damages and injuries for flying the high speed pass too fast and close to buildings at El Centro. The pass was subsonic, but the heavier Super Hornet has a much more pronounced shock wave at transsonic speeds. Additionally, a rear view camera led to an error in the indicated air speed (no idea how). They changed the pass to be further away from the crowd and buildings and 0.01 Mach slower. Also, solo jets can no longer carry rear view cameras. Just something I didn't know about until today.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-bl ... neak-pass/
Last edited by awal2049 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

wfooshee

Post by wfooshee » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:09 pm

It looks like it was thoroughly investigated, but I wonder about some very localized atmospheric condition affecting it. I know for a fact that I've heard a sonic boom during a Super Hornet demonstration (not a Blue Angel pass but the Super Hornet demo team, and not during the actual high-speed pass but as he was executing a distant maneuver at fairly high altitude to return to show center) at Pensacola. Several of us sitting near each other remarked on it with raised eyebrows.

Also, the article states a 17-mph difference from the desired .96 speed to the actual .97 speed of the pass in question, and I have no doubt as to the statement of the exaggerated effects of the transonic shock wave, but I show the .01 mach difference less than half of that, just under 8 mph.

I do love the sneak passes though!!!! I actually photographed the distortion of the shock wave at last year's homecoming show, which was at Pensacola Beach instead of on the base.
0 x