Airshow London 2020 (Now "Sky Drive" Presented by ASL)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Airshowlover811

Post by Airshowlover811 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:44 pm

Chuter wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:29 pm
RyanS wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:23 pm
Jason_2018 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:30 pm The show will still be the great show we all have come to know and love, this a minor change that will make sure show is stable for future years. Have faith in the air ops team and the operations team that we will delivery a great show again.
FYI performer announcement coming in today at noon!
If there's any part of the show I have faith in, it's Air Ops! I wasn't doubting anything in that aspect but certainly hoping for an improved fan experience.
martin_sam_2000 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 pm

hmm.. and Michigan is the weekend before Cleveland...with London being the weekend after. That is a good hunk of time to be on the eastern side of the Continent.

Sean
If you're going to go all that way, might as well make it worth while!

The WOTN event is the weekend before Oshkosh, so I expect them to make an appearance there as well.
You didn't hear it from me but there are a few shows these guys are touring during that block of time. TOM PERHAPS is on that list.
Is Oshkosh perhaps on the list?
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:57 pm

Chuter wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:29 pm
RyanS wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:23 pm
Jason_2018 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:30 pm The show will still be the great show we all have come to know and love, this a minor change that will make sure show is stable for future years. Have faith in the air ops team and the operations team that we will delivery a great show again.
FYI performer announcement coming in today at noon!
If there's any part of the show I have faith in, it's Air Ops! I wasn't doubting anything in that aspect but certainly hoping for an improved fan experience.
martin_sam_2000 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 pm

hmm.. and Michigan is the weekend before Cleveland...with London being the weekend after. That is a good hunk of time to be on the eastern side of the Continent.

Sean
If you're going to go all that way, might as well make it worth while!

The WOTN event is the weekend before Oshkosh, so I expect them to make an appearance there as well.
You didn't hear it from me but there are a few shows these guys are touring during that block of time. TOM PERHAPS is on that list.
You didn't hear it from me either, but TOM is perhaps on that list.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Lol I think we're all saying the same thing :)
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Faust

Post by Faust » Fri May 22, 2020 3:55 pm

I can't believe nobody's asked this yet, but does anyone have any idea how the COVID situation is going to affect this?

I'm crossing my fingers it's going to be under control by then, and I'm glad we've not heard of a cancellation yet, but no official word is still unnerving.
0 x

mstares

Post by mstares » Fri May 22, 2020 3:56 pm

ASL has put a poll on their facebook page.

Two questions (from memory).

1. Would you attend if the show is able to go ahead.

2. Would you attend if it was mounted as a drive in show.

Obviously, and not unexpectedly, they are mooting what if anything they can put off this year. The questions are hard to answer for me at the 4
months-out point... so many unknowns at this stage.

I have to fly from NL to get to the show... obviously if there are still quarantines (coming, going or both) in place it is a non-starter for me.

There is still a huge question mark as to what if any demo teams will be flying at that point, let alone those actually scheduled.

This is balanced by the irrational thought that if these few fall shows are the only ones that run, there may be some spectacular static (at least) line ups due to pent up interest. Alas I believe this is my own personal pipe dream.

For me, I answered yes to number 1 on the assumption it is business as usual (a boy can dream) and no on number 2 as that is even a bigger speculation not having any idea where a drive in show would be held and what would it consist of.

We are living in interesting times.

Mark
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:05 pm

I honestly don't think this show will happen. And I would also guess that getting even statics let alone flying aircraft is next to impossible at the present and foreseeable future.
0 x

TooTallDean

Post by TooTallDean » Sun May 24, 2020 1:20 pm

The Snowbirds will be grounded for a while after their fatal crash last Sunday.
So they will not be attending this show, even if goes ahead.
0 x

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Sun May 24, 2020 9:59 pm

Keep an eye out around the second week of June for an epic podcast with Gerry, he's the Air Operations Director for Airshow London. He'll be joining my podcast for an hour to talk COVID and the show, plus his past. I'll certainly share some more details. I'll say, if you aren't apart of the Canadian Airshow Buzz Facebook group, you'll be missing out.
0 x

mstares

Post by mstares » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:16 am

Chuter wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:59 pm Keep an eye out around the second week of June for an epic podcast with Gerry, he's the Air Operations Director for Airshow London. He'll be joining my podcast for an hour to talk COVID and the show, plus his past. I'll certainly share some more details. I'll say, if you aren't apart of the Canadian Airshow Buzz Facebook group, you'll be missing out.
Thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye out for that.
1 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:17 am

Chuter wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:59 pm Keep an eye out around the second week of June for an epic podcast with Gerry, he's the Air Operations Director for Airshow London. He'll be joining my podcast for an hour to talk COVID and the show, plus his past. I'll certainly share some more details. I'll say, if you aren't apart of the Canadian Airshow Buzz Facebook group, you'll be missing out.
Just listened to the podcast. Hook was awesome! Very enthusiastic and loved his stories! Very interested in the drive-in concept. It sounds like they are really pushing hard for this. Let's hope restrictions ease and the travel bans are lifted so we can have some sort of event, in a year where the airshow industry has been decimated due to the pandemic.

Here is a link on youtube to the podcast. Great work by Nick and Sam for getting Hook to come aboard. Very fun to listen to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bkUcue_Bng
1 x
Dan Gagnon

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”