Thunder Over Michigan 2020 (CANCELLED)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Bretten Bailey

Thunder Over Michigan 2020 (CANCELLED)

Post by Bretten Bailey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Thunder Over Michigan 2020 “Legends of the Luftwaffe”
August 29th-30th, 2020
Willow Run Airport
Ypsilanti/Belleville, Michigan
https://yankeeairmuseum.org/thunder-over-michigan/ (new web address for those who have the old one bookmarked)

Theme Aircraft: FW-190 Wurger
-Erickson Aircraft Collection Focke-Wulf FW-190
-Military Aviation Museum Focke-Wulf FW-190

Military Headliners:
-United States Navy Blue Angels
-United States Air Force F-35 Lightning II Demo Team
-United States Air Force Heritage Flight (F-35/TBA)

Other Theme Aircraft Participating:
-Erickson Aircraft Collection Messerschmitt ME-109
-Military Aviation Museum Junkers JU-52
-More TBA

Warbird Statics
-TBA

Military Statics
-TBA
Last edited by RyanS on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:11 pm

Plenty of possible themes, my favorite I've heard so far was gathering of German fighters.

They're also throwing around a few others:

Seaplanes (Ducks, PBY's, etc.) As of 2019 there are really good connections with MAFM and Erickson, they both have a Duck and Catalina to send.
A-26's, again the connections with MAFM and Erickson can bolster this, I know of a few other owners that want this too. There are at least 8 or so already on the "yes" list... that's pretty insane!
Mustang Variants (this is talked about, but more than likely a few years out)
Cats, the biggest hindrance is a Tigercat. Would have to come from Lewis more than likely, but that's a hard feat lately. They were thinking a Cat Gathering with a focus on Wildcats too with other Cats invited too.

I was hoping for Bombertown the 2nd Round, but supposedly it's pretty much impossible to have Fifi and Doc on site together. That killed what I was hoping to be the headliner for an event like this.

It could end up being none of these as well, but there are some really good ideas on the drawing board 8-)
1 x

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Thunders focus next year as well as all warbird shows should focus on it being the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII. Theme it out, get tora tora tora to start it off then progress through the war ending with p-51/me 262 and one of the b-29s for VE and VJ Day. Tucked in between those years have a few b-25s for Doolittle and a spit and me109 go at it or a wildcat/hellcat vs a zero with pacific air battles and Europe air and ground battles like thunder used to do better at with p-47s strafing the battlefield with a fw-190 chasing them with b-17s overhead. There’s real opportunities for some great warbird shows. If there isn’t, I’m really questioning everyone’s marketing plans.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Airplanefreak2000 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:51 pm Thunders focus next year as well as all warbird shows should focus on it being the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII. Theme it out, get tora tora tora to start it off then progress through the war ending with p-51/me 262 and one of the b-29s for VE and VJ Day. Tucked in between those years have a few b-25s for Doolittle and a spit and me109 go at it or a wildcat/hellcat vs a zero with pacific air battles and Europe air and ground battles like thunder used to do better at with p-47s strafing the battlefield with a fw-190 chasing them with b-17s overhead. There’s real opportunities for some great warbird shows. If there isn’t, I’m really questioning everyone’s marketing plans.
Agreed. Given that there will probably be other shows paying tribute to the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII I supposed there is some logic in a zig while others zag (so to speak), but they don't need to overthink this. I've been advocating for a Grumman theme for years and an A-26 theme would be awesome, but either of those can probably wait. This might be one of the last big anniversaries to really pay tribute to the living WWII veterans left. I'd love to see them try to get a single example of as many different types of WWII aircraft as they can to show as broad a scope of the war as possible ... but that's just me.
0 x
Matt

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:27 pm

While it would be nice, my info comes from Michael himself. There was no mention of a 75th anniversary theme in my chat with him.

Maybe it wasn't on his mind the fact that next year is that year, but he dished out plenty of themes he's excited to pursue and the 75th anniversary was nowhere to be found.
1 x

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:14 am

GRNDP51 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:27 pm While it would be nice, my info comes from Michael himself. There was no mention of a 75th anniversary theme in my chat with him.

Maybe it wasn't on his mind the fact that next year is that year, but he dished out plenty of themes he's excited to pursue and the 75th anniversary was nowhere to be found.
That’s very unfortunate.
0 x

martin_sam_2000

Post by martin_sam_2000 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:32 am

I think a 75th theme is a great idea. A chronological history of the war would be cool. Battle of Britain (spitfire, hurricane, Me-109), Pearl Harbour (Tora-Tora-Tora, P-40), morning battle "pacific roundup"(Hellcats, Wildcats, Avengers, B-25's, harpoon, Zero) , mighty 8th (B-17, B-24, P-47, P-38,Fw-190), pre-d-day "softening up" (B-25, A-26, A-20, Mosquito, Lancaster), Afternoon battle "D-Day" (C-47 Paratroop drop, P-51's, B-17, B-25, Spitfire, Me-262, FW-190), "the End" (one or both B-29's, pacific schemed P-51's, P-38's)

finish the show with whatever else you are planning to add ( ie aerobatic stuff, modern aircraft)

you can basically add any warbird type into one of those categories and still keep each "fight" balanced.

If the above is not feasible, I vote A-26 gathering!!

Sean
1 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:39 pm

martin_sam_2000 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:32 am I think a 75th theme is a great idea. A chronological history of the war would be cool. Battle of Britain (spitfire, hurricane, Me-109), Pearl Harbour (Tora-Tora-Tora, P-40), morning battle "pacific roundup"(Hellcats, Wildcats, Avengers, B-25's, harpoon, Zero) , mighty 8th (B-17, B-24, P-47, P-38,Fw-190), pre-d-day "softening up" (B-25, A-26, A-20, Mosquito, Lancaster), Afternoon battle "D-Day" (C-47 Paratroop drop, P-51's, B-17, B-25, Spitfire, Me-262, FW-190), "the End" (one or both B-29's, pacific schemed P-51's, P-38's)

finish the show with whatever else you are planning to add ( ie aerobatic stuff, modern aircraft)

you can basically add any warbird type into one of those categories and still keep each "fight" balanced.

Sean
This would be really awesome! Blue Angels would finalize that list, and Tora would be a great "aerobatic performer". The rumor this past year before the Corsairs was that Thunder "had more money" since there wasn't a major jet team. That was proven false and Michael gets an extra wad of cash when the Blues or Tbirds are there (not going to say the amount, but it's 5-7 or so extra warbirds worth).

Everything on that list you gave is possible too. The only thing is it's a little bit of stretching Yagen's collection to make it happen. Also putting hope on Rod sending the A-20 is sadly pretty low. Either way I know Michael has the connections to get every plane on that list to Willow Run, easy!!!
0 x

martin_sam_2000

Post by martin_sam_2000 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:42 pm

GRNDP51 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:39 pm
martin_sam_2000 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:32 am I think a 75th theme is a great idea. A chronological history of the war would be cool. Battle of Britain (spitfire, hurricane, Me-109), Pearl Harbour (Tora-Tora-Tora, P-40), morning battle "pacific roundup"(Hellcats, Wildcats, Avengers, B-25's, harpoon, Zero) , mighty 8th (B-17, B-24, P-47, P-38,Fw-190), pre-d-day "softening up" (B-25, A-26, A-20, Mosquito, Lancaster), Afternoon battle "D-Day" (C-47 Paratroop drop, P-51's, B-17, B-25, Spitfire, Me-262, FW-190), "the End" (one or both B-29's, pacific schemed P-51's, P-38's)

Sean
This would be really awesome! Blue Angels would finalize that list, and Tora would be a great "aerobatic performer". The rumor this past year before the Corsairs was that Thunder "had more money" since there wasn't a major jet team. That was proven false and Michael gets an extra wad of cash when the Blues or Tbirds are there (not going to say the amount, but it's 5-7 or so extra warbirds worth).

Everything on that list you gave is possible too. The only thing is it's a little bit of stretching Yagen's collection to make it happen. Also putting hope on Rod sending the A-20 is sadly pretty low. Either way I know Michael has the connections to get every plane on that list to Willow Run, easy!!!
the aircraft I mentioned are more representative of the aircraft that could fit into that "theme". instead of the A-20, have multiple B-25's and A-26's fly by, etc, etc...

As for taxing Yeagen's collection. Collins can bring their 262 or spitfire, VWC has a spitfire and hurricane, there is a mkI spitfire in the New England area. It is quite doable. I think the -109 is the hardest of them all to get as only Yeagen has one and he only operates it off of grass.

Sean
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Check your emails if you're thinking about early tickets - it looks like today is the buy one, get one offer for tickets. Kind of surprised they're doing that without a teaser of the theme, but it's a good deal.
1 x
Matt

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”