Iztapa Airshow (Guatemala) Canceled After Fatal Crash

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RyanS

Iztapa Airshow (Guatemala) Canceled After Fatal Crash

Post by RyanS » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:27 am

The airshow planned for tomorrow in Iztapa, Guatemala has been canceled after a crash during practice today. The pilot and reportedly two people on the ground were killed, with another possibly injured. While the name of the pilot has not been released publicly, American pilots Skip Stewart and Kirby Chambliss posted Facebook updates following the crash.

There are videos of the crash showing an Extra 300 type aircraft impact the ground and crash through a display booth, but thankfully it was practice and the grounds were not very crowded.

Thoughts to the families of the pilot and spectators. We'll share more info as it becomes public.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:49 pm

As widely reported by now, the pilot who died was Steve Andelin, flying Kirby's two seat Extra in the Red Bull scheme. He was performing some maneuvers after returning from a photo shoot with Skip and Kirby. Two women on the ground died and a child was injured. Very sad.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

BradleeG102896

Post by BradleeG102896 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:30 pm

Steve Andelin used to fly competitions pretty regularly years ago didn’t he? I think he was the one that quit flying aerobatics because his wife didn’t like it and wanted him to focus on his family at the time.
0 x
Typical Airshow Guy!

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:08 am

BradleeG102896 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:30 pm Steve Andelin used to fly competitions pretty regularly years ago didn’t he? I think he was the one that quit flying aerobatics because his wife didn’t like it and wanted him to focus on his family at the time.
I had not heard of him before yesterday, but I have seen personal FB posts to that effect. He gave up aerobatics for his family.

The fatalities on the ground were apparently the wife and mother in law of one of their crew? And the injured child his son. Terrible doesn't describe it.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”