EAA Air Venture Oshkosh 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:35 pm

The EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2021 Notice To Airmen (NOTAM) is available now!
Pilots planning to fly into #OSH21 have three months to familiarize themselves with this year's NOTAM. There have been several important FAA-approved changes that were based on pilot feedback and FAA review of arrival procedure recommendations. Read about changes for 2021: https://bit.ly/3gwFG8g
Download NOTAM: eaa.org/NOTAM
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu May 06, 2021 5:15 pm

AFSOC aircraft announced. I'm sure a lot of people will be excited about the MQ-9. I will personally miss these unless they arrive earlier than Thursday.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airv ... nture-2021
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu May 06, 2021 6:36 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:15 pm AFSOC aircraft announced. I'm sure a lot of people will be excited about the MQ-9. I will personally miss these unless they arrive earlier than Thursday.
The AFSOC aircraft are scheduled to arrive on Thursday, July 28, and remain through Sunday, August 1. There may be more than one of some models at Oshkosh. The aircraft roster includes (subject to change):

AC-130J Ghostrider
MC-130J Commando II
EC-130J Commando Solo
CV-22 Osprey
U-28A Draco
C-145A Combat Coyote
C-146A Wolfhound
MQ-9 Reaper
MC-12W Liberty

The AFSOC aircraft will be on ground display with several participating in air show flying demonstrations. In addition, AFSOC personnel will participate in an evening program at EAA’s Theater in the Woods on Saturday, July 31, to highlight the activities and mission of the Special Operations Command.
Personally the MQ-9 is by far the least exciting. I can't imagine it will fly in during the show so it will either arrive well in advance or more likely be flown in on a C-17 or something.

On the other hand, the cargo/utility types are very rare to see and I don't think I even have a photo of a CV-22 despite seeing them fly long ago.

If I could design a program, I'd put together a 'combined arms' demo with some recon flybys followed by a troop insertion and exfil with AC-130 overwatch. Is it too much to ask for a twilight AC-130 demo with pyro??? :D
Last edited by RyanS on Thu May 06, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu May 06, 2021 8:25 pm

I personally don't care about drones of any size, shape or performance, but given the seeming rarity of public appearances, I'm assuming the MQ-9 will cause some excitement.

Selfishly, I wish Oshkosh would move up a week. I have an annual commitment that usually falls during Oshkosh and limits me to 2-4 days. Last year's cancellation was a real bummer because it was the first time I was going to be able to go for the whole week. Still, some Oshkosh and missing out on the late week and weekend attractions is better than no Oshkosh. I hope one of the C-130 variants or Osprey makes it in earlier than Thursday.

A combined arms demo with an AC-130 would be sweet! How about a flare drop?
0 x
Matt

Nate_Burrows

Post by Nate_Burrows » Thu May 13, 2021 3:18 pm

0 x
Nate Burrows
@HawkeyeAvGeek on Instagram & TikTok

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue May 18, 2021 6:02 pm

US Navy's EA-18G Growler Legacy Team to attend this year's EAA Air Venture.
viewtopic.php?p=22094#p22094
0 x

smitty44

Post by smitty44 » Sun May 23, 2021 2:18 pm

So I have the time, and kinda have the money to hit Oshkosh for the first time. I was looking for another show to attend, and there it was...calling my name. Has anyone been there on the Camp Schollar camping side of things? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, John
1 x

Nate_Burrows

Post by Nate_Burrows » Sun May 23, 2021 2:48 pm

smitty44 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:18 pm So I have the time, and kinda have the money to hit Oshkosh for the first time. I was looking for another show to attend, and there it was...calling my name. Has anyone been there on the Camp Schollar camping side of things? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, John
I’ve been camping in Scholler since 2013 so I’ll do my best at answering your question.

To be able to camp in Scholler you must be an EAA Member or be camping with an EAA Member. Membership costs $40 a year and has loads of benefits besides camping at the show. You also get discounted admission into the event.

Arriving: Best days to arriving would be Saturday, Sunday or Monday at the start of the event. If you cannot make those days it could be rather tough finding an open camping spot until about Thursday or Friday when people start leaving.

Cost: Camping (basic site): $28 per day (3 night minimum), Camping (electric & water): $70 per day

Amenities: There is several shower houses located in the campground. If you need to do laundry there is a laundry station connected to one of the general stores. Speaking of stores there’s 3-4 different stores in the campground where you can get coffee, donuts, beer, any food you need, or any other basic supplies you may be missing, also in the campground there is several WiFi/charging houses. Where you can check your email or whatever on the high speed internet and charge whatever you need charged. If you need first aid there is a first aid station that is almost like a small hospital in the campground.

Overall camping supplies: if you have a camper and you don’t want to pay for electricity, definitely bring a generator but do know they don’t allow generators to be on at night. They do have a dump station in the campground if you need it for your camper. If you are not bringing a camper and you are going to stay in a tent. Definitely bring a generator, a canopy tent always helps keep you out of the shade and the rain because it will definitely rain one of the days. Also a couple coolers help as well, if you need ice they sell bags of ice at all the stores on the ground.

Leaving the grounds: make sure to display your blue camping pass in your windshield so you can come and go during the week, say if you want to go to Walmart and pick up some supplies or if you want to get a meal at a restaurant.

Leaving the campground: if you leave before noon on whatever day that you are indeed leaving they will pay you back whatever days that go unused.

Hope all this helps, i can answer anymore questions if you have any.
0 x
Nate Burrows

smitty44

Post by smitty44 » Sun May 23, 2021 3:00 pm

Some great info there, thanks Nate! So as to when I arrive. It looks to me that getting there early say Friday afternoon, Saturday is better than worrying about the 31st or the 1st much. Like most of the good stuff and what there is to see happens say from arrivals during the first weekend until Thursday? I plan on flying in to Appleton and tent camping at the show, and am trying to figure out what days to fly in and out. Thanks again!
0 x

Nate_Burrows

Post by Nate_Burrows » Sun May 23, 2021 3:39 pm

smitty44 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:00 pm Some great info there, thanks Nate! So as to when I arrive. It looks to me that getting there early say Friday afternoon, Saturday is better than worrying about the 31st or the 1st much. Like most of the good stuff and what there is to see happens say from arrivals during the first weekend until Thursday? I plan on flying in to Appleton and tent camping at the show, and am trying to figure out what days to fly in and out. Thanks again!
A lot happens between Sunday the 25th and Thursday the 29th. You’ll have mass arrivals of the warbirds on Sunday and Monday, and some of the “star” statics will arrive either Sunday or Monday. There is a lot of military statics that fly in early in the week. Plus there’s a night show on Wednesday, The big warbird shows happen on Thursday (Typically Jet Day) and Friday and Sat which are usually majority of the warbirds that arrive.

Majority of everyone who camps will arrive on the 24th or 25th of July and stay the entire week. There are others who will arrive on those dates and leave by Wednesday and Thursday which opens up spots for those coming just for the weekend.

So if you’re only coming for a few days I would come Wednesday or Thursday and stay till the last day Sunday. Not much happens on Sunday but a smaller Airshow and majority of the military stuff departs the show.
0 x
Nate Burrows

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”