EAA Air Venture Oshkosh 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:57 pm

Airshowlover811 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:41 pm I really wish some p-38s and p-47s would show. You rarely see them at Oshkosh and I don’t understand why.
I would love to see P-47s. Unfortunately, I only know of one operator who is a regular participant at Oshkosh and owns a P-47 - and that's Rod Lewis. His P-47 "Balls Out" is the only Thunderbolt I have seen at Oshkosh since I began attending back in 2015. I think the Thunderbolt was at the show in 2016.

There are three regular participants who own P-38s, though unfortunately none of them have come since Scat III in 2015. Those operators have brought other aircraft though. It would be nice to see the Collings Foundation bring P-38 "Pudgy V" to Oshkosh since they have brought their other newest restorations recently (Hellcat, Spitfire, TF-51). I also keep hoping Jim Slattery will bring "White 33" some day along with either his incredible SBD or Brewster Corsair restorations, but his aircraft have only been to Oshkosh once recently and that was the two Tigercats.
0 x
Matt

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:06 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:57 pm
Airshowlover811 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:41 pm I really wish some p-38s and p-47s would show. You rarely see them at Oshkosh and I don’t understand why.
I would love to see P-47s. Unfortunately, I only know of one operator who is a regular participant at Oshkosh and owns a P-47 - and that's Rod Lewis. His P-47 "Balls Out" is the only Thunderbolt I have seen at Oshkosh since I began attending back in 2015. I think the Thunderbolt was at the show in 2016.

There are three regular participants who own P-38s, though unfortunately none of them have come since Scat III in 2015. Those operators have brought other aircraft though. It would be nice to see the Collings Foundation bring P-38 "Pudgy V" to Oshkosh since they have brought their other newest restorations recently (Hellcat, Spitfire, TF-51). I also keep hoping Jim Slattery will bring "White 33" someday along with either his incredible SBD or Brewster Corsair restorations, but his aircraft have only been to Oshkosh once recently and that was the two Tigercats.
This is somewhat puzzling to me, to be frank, I thought Oshkosh received a variety of warbirds from different air museums that support the event, I figured they do, but not having a Thunderbolt or Lightning present does seem out of the ordinary, though just to give it thought, there is not an abundance of airworthy P-47's or P-38's compared to the P-51's or so forth. There only 11 Airworthy P-38's in the world, and 13 airworthy P-47's, so it vaires probably on the owner's or the air museum's perspective if they want to support the event and are willingly wanting to bring their Thunderbolt or Lightning along side as well to support the event, this is just from my perspective. Though I can see, Oshkosh received thunderbolts and lightning in the past, the organization could have a substantial amount once again in their upcoming Airventure events.

Also, coming from a clueless Californian of whom never traveled to Oshkosh, but has ever in Airventure history did Oshkosh have P-40 Warhawks flying at their event for various demos/flybys or so forth?
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:45 pm

We have had 2-4 P-40s each year I have attended. There are 350+ warbirds at Oshkosh in a typical year. They obviously don't all fly in the airshow, but it's impressive if you have any interest in warbirds. Honestly sometimes the flying program ends up being the least interesting part of the day for me.

The best part about warbird participation at Oshkosh is that a lot of newly-restored aircraft participate and are entered into the judging for various awards. That often results in rare and unique participants, such as the XP-82, YL-15, Mosquito, A-20 and others in recent years.

Fagen Fighters' announcement that they will participate with the new Hellcat is hopefully the first of many new restorations to debut in 2021. There are a lot of interesting possibilities and I'm hoping that we'll get to see a few of them this year.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matt

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 pm

I can see where your going with that, I know this isn't Airventure related, but local here, the Planes Of Fame Air Museum has had a few major upgrades in their restoration, the most significant one, was when the Air Museum received the Gloster Meteor T7 WA591, the oldest airworthy jet in the world and this is the only kind flying in the U.S, so the Air Museum definitely receive something unexpected and they also, recently restored a Grumman F8F Bearcat back in September, around that time when POF received the Meteor jet. So there is quite a couple of aircraft that will make their debut here on the West Coast, that is if we have any airshows happening sometime in the future. Back to the Airventure topic, I believe WA591 (The Meteor POF received) made her debut at Airventure not too long ago. Quite profound of what both coasts have going, restoration project-wise that is what I am referring to.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:47 am

GEICO Skytypers to perform at Oshkosh
https://geicoskytypers.com/schedule/
0 x

Adambadger88

Post by Adambadger88 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:19 pm

This month (January), the EAA AirVenture Chairman's planning teleconference was conducted and they are full steam ahead for AirVenture 2021.

Jack Pelton talked about:
1) A COVID priority team has been formed to evaluate risks and therefore reduce risks to the public.
2) EAA and all city services are working together to develop COVID avoidance plans.
3) Forums and banquets will be smaller with limited seating. Popular speakers will be scheduled multiple days. Mask requirements will be enacted.
4) COVID best practices will be uniform over the AirVenture site.
5) Daily airshows are planned, also the night airshows. The thought is they will try to establish two airshow centers. Acts will be alternated between show centers to help distribute the crowds.
6) NO Monday concert
7)Fly-In Theatre crowds will be limited and spread out.
8) KidVenture will be moved to Pioneer Field to allow it to be spread out.
Last edited by Adambadger88 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:40 pm

I imagine the two airshow centers would involve using runway 9/27 as a second show line. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Glad to hear they are exploring different possibilities for the event. It might not be the Oshkosh we're used to, but it would certainly be better than nothing if the show is allowed to go on.
0 x
Matt

XL446

Post by XL446 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:53 pm

Excellent. One show centre (I propose 9/27) can be used for all the flip-flopping acts and their macho announcers, while the other (I propose 18/36) can be used for the displays that aviation enthusiasts like. Including, one would hope, take-offs of those planes from 18/36 (and return to that runway) as well.
Now if someone can make sure that international visitors will be able to enter the US by July pls?
1 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:41 pm

Initial civilian performers announced:

https://eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventu ... hkosh-2021

US Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) also participating, aircraft TBA:

https://eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventu ... hkosh-2021
Last edited by kalamazookid on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matt

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:03 am

0 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”