Sky Drive 2021 (presented by Airshow London)

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:31 pm

Friday Night Schedule:
Attachments
Screenshot_20210827-153038_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210827-153038_Facebook.jpg (126.76 KiB) Viewed 13516 times
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Zombiel3

Post by Zombiel3 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:30 pm

CF-18 Demo jet broke.
0 x
- Bark

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:01 am

Video of the one pass by the 2 B-1Bs

1 x
Dan Gagnon

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:51 am

Some videos from Saturday:

0 x
Dan Gagnon

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:16 am

Another successful Skydrive event! Weather held out (super hot though) and it was a good line-up. An unfortunate rash of cancellations occured: F-16 demo, C-17 demo, F-15s and more. Lots of real world issues were going on, which obviously takes precident over an airshow.

2 x B-1Bs were really cool to see. Only one pass which was a bit disappointing, but the Bones' formation was pretty tight for 2 big bombers!

The E-2C Hawkeye demo was fun! He really threw it around!

Loved seeing the Snowbirds again! It was great to see them again after 2 years of not seeing them!

The CF-18 flybys flown by 2 London pilots were awesome! Lots of high speed passes!

CF-18 Demo was great as usual. Unfortunate that the demo bird broke.

Blues. What can I say? Loud as hell and so aggresive. Loved every second of it!

As much as I enjoy the drive in and sitting on Golf taxiway, I do miss seeing the static aircraft and the subsequent arrival/departure days for the static aircraft.

Can't wait to see what ASL has in store for 2022 (75th anniversary of the USAF ;))
1 x
Dan Gagnon

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:12 pm

It's so quiet all of a sudden. :)

I was not able to get some important thumbnail photos this weekend because I was working solo. I'm hoping to find some photos of the CF-18 night show and Fat Albert that I might be able to use (with credit of course). Probably the B-1s as well and maybe others. Hope to see some pics posted soon!

Here is video of the Hawkeye demo:

1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

mstares

Post by mstares » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 am

Also looking forward to commentary, video and photos.

Second year in a row missing this due to the current unpleasantness. Bring on 2022.
0 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:25 am

I went on Saturday, and yeah, it was hot as heck, but hey, it's an airshow. I think it was even hotter Sunday!

I miss the static display and arrivals/departures too, but I will admit that the view from the taxiway is awesome, and the drive-in format is amazing. My dad is mobility challenged so being able to stay with the car really helps him, and he also enjoyed the show. Also, having the car there means I don't have to carry all that gear around all day, which is nice.

Now, if only there was a way to combine the Skydrive experience and STILL have a static display... How about it ASL? Do you think you can come up with an ideal solution like that? If anyone can, you guys can!

I enjoyed it a lot, but the lack of "thunder" may have disappointed some. I know about cancellations and real-world and all that, so don't start. I personally understand it and have been going to airshows for 40 years, so I'm ready for it. I just think that for those less experienced who saw last year's show, this year's might have been a bit surprisingly quiet.

However, for me, getting to see them wring out the E-2 was awesome, and it's always nice to see a Dolphin instead of having it get called away for a mission mid-morning! (How many times has that happened?!)

The Blues, though... well worth the price of admission. I was so disappointed we didn't get to see them fly the last time they were here, but they made up for it! Being the only Canadians to get to see the new jets in the first year was an added bonus, too! Gotta say, while I've been watching display teams for 40 years and not much surprises me, the Blues too my breath away! Fabulous show and INSANE showcasing of nerves and control.

The Thunderbirds were a bit "meh" I found last year. The Blues decimated them this year.

I'm waiting for the email for tickets for next year's event already, and am eager to keep supporting ASL, Skydrive or whatever comes our way in 2022!
Last edited by Faust on Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:41 pm

Have to agree with most of the above.
We went Friday and Saturday, couldn't miss seeing the B-1's.Who knows if or when I will see my favourite plane again.

The acts that really caught me were
E-2 .I'm not huge on propellors but they sure knew how to fly that.
CF-18 X 2 on Friday was a spirited display, lots of noise.Saturday with only 1 was still good.I think a 2 ship demo is a great feature and should be showcased more kind of like the French Mirage 2 ship team.
CF-18 demo, never gets old love to see that thrown around the sky.
The Blues , can't add any more than what's been said.They are loud, fast an awesome to watch.

As for the drive in vs normal I wonder if there is some kind of hybrid available combining both.I do love the drive in theme as you can bring in what you want without lugging it around.The static display is missed though.

Can't wait for 2022, ASL is military heavy which is my kind of show.
1 x

xrox

Post by xrox » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:51 pm

Was thinking of selling our tickets for Saturday due to the weak lineup. Ended up going and really enjoyed the F18 demos and Blue Angels. The snowbirds are so skilled but need modern aircraft to bring a little more excitement to the show IMO.

While we enjoyed the drive in format, we felt the view was terrible from the mid-back blue section. WAY too far away. The greens would have been a waste of money IMO. Luckily the F18s and Blue Angels did a couple "over the crowd" passes to help things in this regard. MUST get red passes next time or we don't go.

Also noticed that a huge swath of front blue section was empty. Any reason they did this?

Finally, did anyone see the lightning bolt come out the side of the storm into the blue sky right in front of the 4 blue angels planes circling behind the venue? So cool!!!
Last edited by xrox on Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”