Thunder Over Michigan 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:29 am

GRNDP51 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 pm
Nick wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:57 am I've could've thought of that, but TOM might be able to secure a Military Demo and possibly U.S Air Force Thunderbirds if they could, but since the economy is starting to crash, I think because of this I'm starting to lose hope for seeing the best performers at my personal favorite airshows they may not have the thrills I've been expecting to happen. in that scenario they may be smaller than usual. But still as long as 2021 goes on I'm pretty much ok with that, least they can produce and do.
TOM will not be getting the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, with the intent of a gathering similar to the Corsairs, but with another type, being the main attraction. 2020 was supposed to have the Blues, F-35A, and Growlers, but with a lackluster warbird lineup. Expect the F-35A, Growlers or TACDEMO, and large warbird gathering to be the stage for 2021. And I don't believe at this time Seattle or Abby would take any of the warbirds that could go to the gathering. As far as I know TOM has Erickson priority, and who knows what FHCAM will be doing next year. They don't send anything to TOM anyway so that's a moot point I guess. I'm one of those that hopes FHCAM goes away and sells their planes to other collectors, but... :D Regarding military, Seattle will probably have the Blues and a single ship team (F-16 or A-10), Abby will probably get the Raptor like was planned this year, and like I said above TOM would still get the F-35A.
Just to be humorous, anyone here on this thread if I recall remember this message, must be a coincidence, how did we end up here I could simply?:lol: .
Last edited by Nick on Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:03 am

Nick wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:29 am
GRNDP51 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 pm
Nick wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:57 am I've could've thought of that, but TOM might be able to secure a Military Demo and possibly U.S Air Force Thunderbirds if they could, but since the economy is starting to crash, I think because of this I'm starting to lose hope for seeing the best performers at my personal favorite airshows they may not have the thrills I've been expecting to happen. in that scenario they may be smaller than usual. But still as long as 2021 goes on I'm pretty much ok with that, least they can produce and do.
TOM will not be getting the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, with the intent of a gathering similar to the Corsairs, but with another type, being the main attraction. 2020 was supposed to have the Blues, F-35A, and Growlers, but with a lackluster warbird lineup. Expect the F-35A, Growlers or TACDEMO, and large warbird gathering to be the stage for 2021. And I don't believe at this time Seattle or Abby would take any of the warbirds that could go to the gathering. As far as I know TOM has Erickson priority, and who knows what FHCAM will be doing next year. They don't send anything to TOM anyway so that's a moot point I guess. I'm one of those that hopes FHCAM goes away and sells their planes to other collectors, but... :D Regarding military, Seattle will probably have the Blues and a single ship team (F-16 or A-10), Abby will probably get the Raptor like was planned this year, and like I said above TOM would still get the F-35A.
Just to be humorous, anyone here on this thread if I recall remember this message, must be a coincidence, how did we end up here I could simply?:lol: .
:lol: :lol:

I also remember a Facebook post of theirs when they announced the theme, they said no Thunderbirds or Blue Angels!
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:05 pm

I won't blame them for grabbing the Tbirds once they were available. Anything to keep the show and museum afloat is great in my books!

Flexibility is the name of the game these days
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:33 pm

This is the airshow I most expected to pivot to a drive-in format. I'm absolutely open to going to a drive-in show and was expecting to go to at least one this year, but having to choose between a different morning/afternoon lineup or pay that price for both doesn't sound even remotely appealing. It sounds like they're offering a less than complete lineup twice per day just so they can charge people twice. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I am not encouraged but what has been posted here so far and I hope the official news is better than that.

If it comes down to deciding, I'd much rather see the F-35 than the Thunderbirds - provided everything else that is advertised is going to fly.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matt

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:37 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:33 pm This is the airshow I most expected to pivot to a drive-in format. I'm absolutely open to going to a drive-in show and was expecting to go to at least one this year, but having to choose between a different morning/afternoon lineup or pay that price for both doesn't sound even remotely appealing. It sounds like they're offering a less than complete lineup twice per day just so they can charge people twice. I hope the official news is better than that.

If it comes down to deciding, I'd much rather see the F-35 than the Thunderbirds - provided everything else that is advertised is going to fly.
Only living 5 minutes away, almost forces me to attend, but the price for half a show is utterly insane and I am not paying $160 for around a 2 hour show. I almost just want to find a spot to park near the airport and watch it from there!
0 x

FlyRed

Post by FlyRed » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:01 pm

Has there been an official announcement yet about pricing or is this just speculation?
0 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:03 pm

FlyRed wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:01 pm Has there been an official announcement yet about pricing or is this just speculation?
Speculation, official announcement will come mid April and people who had already purchased tickets will receive an email next week.
0 x

FlyRed

Post by FlyRed » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:19 pm

smalldude333 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:03 pm
FlyRed wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:01 pm Has there been an official announcement yet about pricing or is this just speculation?
Speculation, official announcement will come mid April and people who had already purchased tickets will receive an email next week.
Maybe we give Thunder the benefit of the doubt that they will set this up to be financially beneficial for the museum while also affordable for spectators.

Great show run by great people. I know they will deliver!
1 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:53 pm

Members received an email outlining the pricing. There is a 48 hour window for member exclusive discounted pricing before tickets go to their full price of "$165-$185". I assume the Thunderbirds would be the more expensive option.
We are very excited to bring to you a Drive-In format air show! Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer you the mailed free tickets that your membership traditionally offers due to this format change. However, we will be offering our Members an exclusive Member Only price of $85 (public price is $165-$185) for one Drive-In Car Pass per member. Additional car passes may be purchased at full price.
kalamazookid wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:33 pm This is the airshow I most expected to pivot to a drive-in format. I'm absolutely open to going to a drive-in show and was expecting to go to at least one this year, but having to choose between a different morning/afternoon lineup or pay that price for both doesn't sound even remotely appealing. It sounds like they're offering a less than complete lineup twice per day just so they can charge people twice. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I am not encouraged but what has been posted here so far and I hope the official news is better than that.

Totally agree. A full drive-in show really wouldn't be an issue especially this year, but having two sessions strikes me as a lose-lose situation. The tickets are still going to be too expensive for casual fans who just want to see some jets, but the hardcore people aren't going to be interested in just a half day event. My family has gone to the show every year for a lot of years, but even at the member price they are not interested in only going for half a day and are considering Dayton as an alternative.
2 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:43 am

I guess Michael Luther is still active on WIX which might bring back some hope of any warbirds or Mitchell Madness, but he announced Jim Tobul's F4U-4 Corsair.
0 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”