Thunder Over Michigan 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Post Reply
GRNDP51
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 am

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:25 pm

Nick wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:38 pm Frankly, the world's only airworthy PBJ Mitchell (Naval varient of the B-25 'Mitchell') 'Semper Fi' is stationed here in Southern California (CAF SoCal), but indeed, it is operated and apart of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF), however with that said being stationed here on the West Coast, I would have my doubts about CAF SoCal Sending the world's only flyable Naval Mitchell to Michigan, in which would seemingly be quite out of the ordinary, ever since the beautiful bird was in flight-worthy status, I have thus far seen the PBJ Mitchell 'Semper Fi' only Perform locally here in Southern California, with the expection of the big bird conducting visits in the North every now and then, but still, it is very out of the ordinary to send her anywhere out of the state of California, unless, the expection of a major event, a gathering, however, would, but believe me, wouldn't be enough to send her to perform a demostartion out of state, especially with the pandemic, the crew, and the orginzation, indeed would be heistant to send anyone out of state, bottom line is, 'Semper Fi' has a significant possibility of not traveling out of state for the 2021 season, however, I could see Planes Of Fame possibly send their B-25 Mitchell 'Photo Fanny' else where, but in reality, it might just simply be the Eastern and Mideastern Air museums that will send their twin engine Mitchell bombers to the gathering being hosted by YAM. I haven't overseen Lyon's Air Museum B-25 yet, but again, repeatedly mentioned, would have a possibility of being denied to be sent to a gathering in the Great Lakes. The information I stated is just to clarify, in perspective of the overview of the Museum's here, stationed on the West Coast tend to perform locally. Overall, we'll just have to see and wait of what is yet to come forth.
Semper Fi was at the 2017 gathering in Ohio. I will say it is far from off the attending list, and one of the more likely on the West coast as of right now. Guardian of Freedom is almost a guaranteed no, and Photo Fanny will not be worth the funding.
0 x

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:28 pm
Location: Menifee, CA
Contact:

Post by Nick » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:31 pm

GRNDP51 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:25 pm
Nick wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:38 pm Frankly, the world's only airworthy PBJ Mitchell (Naval varient of the B-25 'Mitchell') 'Semper Fi' is stationed here in Southern California (CAF SoCal), but indeed, it is operated and apart of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF), however with that said being stationed here on the West Coast, I would have my doubts about CAF SoCal Sending the world's only flyable Naval Mitchell to Michigan, in which would seemingly be quite out of the ordinary, ever since the beautiful bird was in flight-worthy status, I have thus far seen the PBJ Mitchell 'Semper Fi' only Perform locally here in Southern California, with the expection of the big bird conducting visits in the North every now and then, but still, it is very out of the ordinary to send her anywhere out of the state of California, unless, the expection of a major event, a gathering, however, would, but believe me, wouldn't be enough to send her to perform a demostartion out of state, especially with the pandemic, the crew, and the orginzation, indeed would be heistant to send anyone out of state, bottom line is, 'Semper Fi' has a significant possibility of not traveling out of state for the 2021 season, however, I could see Planes Of Fame possibly send their B-25 Mitchell 'Photo Fanny' else where, but in reality, it might just simply be the Eastern and Mideastern Air museums that will send their twin engine Mitchell bombers to the gathering being hosted by YAM. I haven't overseen Lyon's Air Museum B-25 yet, but again, repeatedly mentioned, would have a possibility of being denied to be sent to a gathering in the Great Lakes. The information I stated is just to clarify, from the perspective of the overview of the Museum here, stationed on the West Coast tend to perform locally. Overall, we'll just have to see and wait for what is yet to come forth.
Semper Fi was at the 2017 gathering in Ohio. I will say it is far from off the attending list, and one of the more likely on the West coast as of right now. Guardian of Freedom is almost a guaranteed no, and Photo Fanny will not be worth the funding.
Correct, that is what came in thought to me, I can't really guarantee that twin-engined Mitchell Bombers from the Pacific will be attending the gathering, however, it is hard to say whether or not, though I definitely can see 'Photo Fanny' and 'Semper Fi' not attending the gathering, all the other attending twin-engine bombers, likelihood if so, and as of now we still have no clue if 2021 is still a perfect time to start events back up, in a way, the events of now are taking shape, which could result in a negative outcome, of now is heading in that direction, but overall, there is a good chance Airshows could start back up in Late Spring or Early Summer. It wouldn't be much of a surprise if the format were no different from last year (Drive-In Movie style or implementing "Stay-Safe Initiatives). In perspective, I would be stunned to see organizers outline a traditional format in any show in 2021.
Last edited by Nick on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Nick W. Jenkins
Horizon Sky Photography
Airshow Insider

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:28 pm
Location: Menifee, CA
Contact:

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:19 pm

It appears that TOM will receive its F-35 Demo Team as anticipated from last year. Heritage TBA.
Via: https://www.acc.af.mil/Home/Aerial-Even ... -schedule/
https://airshows.aero/Page/AirShowsCalendar
0 x
Nick W. Jenkins
Horizon Sky Photography
Airshow Insider

Airshowlover811
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Post by Airshowlover811 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:36 pm

Any Warbird updates? And any chance for modern aircraft flybys like Back in 2019? A b-1 lancer flyby would be awesome and fits the sort of bomber theme
0 x

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:28 pm
Location: Menifee, CA
Contact:

Post by Nick » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:04 pm

Airshowlover811 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:36 pm Any Warbird updates? And any chance for modern aircraft flybys like Back in 2019? A b-1 lancer flyby would be awesome and fits the sort of bomber theme
I do not believe so as of now, but we'll have to just wait and see what TOM can put together. :roll:
0 x
Nick W. Jenkins
Horizon Sky Photography
Airshow Insider

smalldude333
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:17 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan

Post by smalldude333 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:25 am

Michael Luther has been very quiet this month over on the WIX hanger. I guess maybe because of the holidays, but in the years past, he was active a lot in December.

Maybe because he already made most of the announcements for the year in November but I am not very sure how that all works.
Last edited by smalldude333 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Josh
The Plane Addict

GRNDP51
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 am

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:56 pm

smalldude333 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:25 am Michael Luther has been very quiet this month over on the WIX hanger. I guess maybe because of the holidays, but in the years past, he was active a lot in December.

Maybe because he already made most of the announcements for the year in November but I am not very sure how that all works.
I keep in touch with ML pretty regularly. This month has been focused on their B-25 transition. There are plenty of other B-25's in the works, just waiting on the New Year for some confirmations to line up. Also have to see how the the virus changes as that is holding back some discussions and confirmations as well.
0 x

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:28 pm
Location: Menifee, CA
Contact:

Post by Nick » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:59 pm

GRNDP51 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:56 pm
smalldude333 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:25 am Michael Luther has been very quiet this month over on the WIX hanger. I guess maybe because of the holidays, but in the years past, he was active a lot in December.

Maybe because he already made most of the announcements for the year in November but I am not very sure how that all works.
I keep in touch with ML pretty regularly. This month has been focused on their B-25 transition. There are plenty of other B-25's in the works, just waiting on the New Year for some confirmations to line up. Also have to see how the the virus changes as that is holding back some discussions and confirmations as well.

Ah so technically their on hold from confirming any addition performers.
0 x
Nick W. Jenkins
Horizon Sky Photography
Airshow Insider

smalldude333
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:17 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan

Post by smalldude333 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:21 pm

GRNDP51 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:56 pm I keep in touch with ML pretty regularly. This month has been focused on their B-25 transition. There are plenty of other B-25's in the works, just waiting on the New Year for some confirmations to line up. Also have to see how the the virus changes as that is holding back some discussions and confirmations as well.
Yeah, makes sense that they are holding off. They don't want to spend all the time and money getting confirmations on performers and have the show be canceled.

They should be studying how the virus will most likely be by the time the show comes. I however, really don't think that 2021's show will fall victim to covid. with both vaccines becoming available already.
Last edited by smalldude333 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Josh
The Plane Addict

GRNDP51
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 am

Post by GRNDP51 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:25 am

smalldude333 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:21 pm
GRNDP51 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:56 pm I keep in touch with ML pretty regularly. This month has been focused on their B-25 transition. There are plenty of other B-25's in the works, just waiting on the New Year for some confirmations to line up. Also have to see how the the virus changes as that is holding back some discussions and confirmations as well.
Yeah, makes sense that they are holding off. They don't want to spend all the time and money getting confirmations on performers and have the show be canceled.

They should be studying how the virus will most likely be by the time the show comes. I however, really don't think that 2021's show will fall victim to covid. with both vaccines becoming available already.
It's not TOM holding off rather the operators holding off because committing to airshows in this environment is the least of their concerns right now. ML has been actively starting conversations with the operators, but they're uneasy.
0 x

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests