Flying Legends Airshow 2021 (CANCELLED)

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Nick

Flying Legends Airshow 2021 (CANCELLED)

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Flying Legends Airshow 2021
2022 Dates TBA
Sywell Aerodrome
Northampton, UK

2022 Performers
???
Last edited by Nick on Mon May 31, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 11 times in total.
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:05 am

Flying Legends will be held at Sywell Aerodrome on 10th-11th July ;)

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=400393757804177
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:44 pm

The airshow poster teases the very exciting prospect of a curved crowdline - what a great addition to the show that would be! The showground looks to be a similar size to that of the Sywell Airshows of old, which had a capacity of 10,000 spectators per day (down from 25,000+ at Duxford) so I imagine we'll see fewer tickets on sale from now on. On the map below, the old showground layout is in red, the layout from the 2021 poster in yellow, and the largest possible layout (similar to that used for the LAA Rally fly-in) shown in pale blue.

0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:27 am

It appears as I haven forgotten to update this show, since the December 8th Jet Team Schedules were released. Accordingly with the A-10 Demo Team, it has Sywell Aerodrome on the 2021 schedule, located in Northampton, Great Britain. It appears very unique to schedule the Flying Legends Airshow the week before Royal International Air Tattoo since the two shows are occurring the same country and are only 1 week apart as well as from my perspective I've never heard of an ACC Demo Team performing at the show at all, must be a treat for the British. Oh also coming from a foreigner who has no knowledge of Great Britain, I believe there not much of a distance from one another, but I can definitely see why the A-10 will be making a brief tour in GB.
Last edited by Nick on Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Nick wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:27 am It appears as I haven forgotten to update this show, since the December 8th Jet Team Schedules were released. Accordingly with the A-10 Demo Team, it has Sywell Aerodrome on the 2021 schedule, located in Northampton, Great Britain. It appears very unique to schedule the Flying Legends Airshow the week before Royal International Air Tattoo since the two shows are occurring the same country and are only 1 week apart as well as from my perspective I've never heard of an ACC Demo Team performing at the show at all, must be a treat for the British. Oh also coming from a foreigner who has no knowledge of Great Britain, I believe there not much of a distance from one another, but I can definitely see why the A-10 will be making a brief tour in GB.
On the contrary - ACC doing a combined trip to RIAT and Legends is semi-regular. The F-22 did both shows in 2016 and the F-35A did both shows in 2018, for example. The F-16 was intended to do both shows in 2020, too.

Heritage Flights at any UK show always get a mixed reaction, but when they started appearing at Flying Legends, it was particularly controversial. Until 2016, Flying Legends had a strict policy of only featuring piston-engined aircraft, and quite a few people complained that the inclusion of a modern USAF fighter was diluting what is probably the world's premier warbird airshow. For that reason, even though the A-10 Demo Team's schedule currently says Flying Legends will recieve a full demo, in reality it will probably be a Heritage Flight only, with no solo demo.

As for the distance between the two shows, no two British airshows are particularly far apart in comparison to the US. The entire country is not much bigger than Florida and almost all our airshows are in the southern half. For the A-10, most British airshows are probably within a half hour flight of each other.

However: remember that UK airshows do not work with the same scheduling system as the US, so the A-10 Demo Team is not yet confirmed for RIAT or Flying Legends 2021. As it stands, the ACC have merely expressed their intention to support both shows. When the airshow organisers are confident that all the formalities have been dealt with, they will make an announcement, and only then will the news be confirmed.
Last edited by Adam on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:52 am

Adam wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:34 pm
Nick wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:27 am It appears as I haven forgotten to update this show, since the December 8th Jet Team Schedules were released. Accordingly with the A-10 Demo Team, it has Sywell Aerodrome on the 2021 schedule, located in Northampton, Great Britain. It appears very unique to schedule the Flying Legends Airshow the week before Royal International Air Tattoo since the two shows are occurring the same country and are only 1 week apart as well as from my perspective I've never heard of an ACC Demo Team performing at the show at all, must be a treat for the British. Oh also coming from a foreigner who has no knowledge of Great Britain, I believe there not much of a distance from one another, but I can definitely see why the A-10 will be making a brief tour in GB.
On the contrary - ACC doing a combined trip to RIAT and Legends is semi-regular. The F-22 did both shows in 2016 and the F-35A did both shows in 2018, for example. The F-16 was intended to do both shows in 2020, too.

Heritage Flights at any UK show always get a mixed reaction, but when they started appearing at Flying Legends, it was particularly controversial. Until 2016, Flying Legends had a strict policy of only featuring piston-engined aircraft, and quite a few people complained that the inclusion of a modern USAF fighter was diluting what is probably the world's premier warbird airshow. For that reason, even though the A-10 Demo Team's schedule currently says Flying Legends will recieve a full demo, in reality it will probably be a Heritage Flight only, with no solo demo.

As for the distance between the two shows, no two British airshows are particularly far apart in comparison to the US. The entire country is not much bigger than Florida and almost all our airshows are in the southern half. For the A-10, most British airshows are probably within a half hour flight of each other.

However: remember that UK airshows do not work with the same scheduling system as the US, so the A-10 Demo Team is not yet confirmed for RIAT or Flying Legends 2021. As it stands, the ACC have merely expressed their intention to support both shows. When the airshow organizers are confident that all the formalities have been dealt with, they will make an announcement, and only then will the news be confirmed.
I agree with you, and I know that the approval is still pending though, once mentioned in my comment above, but I'm almost positive that RAIT will have one of the ACC Demo Teams, but that is somewhat logical that Flying Legends Airshow would considered just a Heritage Flight only and not a solo demo since their more concentrated on warbird only tradition, so I can see why the organizers could be asking so little from ACC or the U.S and GB alone, but I see why they intend to have that, just like you stated, "Flying Legends had a strict policy of only featuring piston-engined aircraft, and quite a few people complained that the inclusion of a modern USAF fighter was diluting what is probably the world's premier warbird airshow". Still the title does stand out or define something that it was traditional based on, anyway RIAT should receive a demo team since overall it is there 50th and major planning should be outlined, but yet again, there's the post-pandemic world we are currently residing in, but hope for the best like always.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:03 pm

Just found out from ACC, ultimately it appears that A-10 Demo Team will not be at Sywell Aerodome this year, probably due to the fact that travel restrictions are still in place in GB and the likelihood they'll still be in effect over the summer, in which I heard that England is not doing to well right now currently in this environment (Just heard from one of my photographer friends). But also F-AIR Columbia that is scheduled to take place on the 9th, 10th, & 11th of July and featuring the Viper Demo Team was also taken down recently. All this evident via https://www.acc.af.mil/Home/Aerial-Even ... -schedule/.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am

Nick wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:03 pm Just found out from ACC, ultimately it appears that A-10 Demo Team will not be at Sywell Aerodome this year, probably due to the fact that travel restrictions are still in place in GB and the likelihood they'll still be in effect over the summer, in which I heard that England is not doing to well right now currently in this environment (Just heard from one of my photographer friends). But also F-AIR Columbia that is scheduled to take place on the 9th, 10th, & 11th of July and featuring the Viper Demo Team was also taken down recently. All this evident via https://www.acc.af.mil/Home/Aerial-Even ... -schedule/.
Travel restrictions are due to be eased as early as the 15th of May and some military deployments are exempt anyway. RIAT was the real reason the A-10 was due to visit the UK, Flying Legends was just a small side-show at which it would probably have performed a Heritage Flight only. No RIAT = no USAF participation at Flying Legends. As I said earlier, modern front-line jets really aren't what Flying Legends is about.

I would also disagree that "England is not doing well right now" - more than half the adult population has been vaccinated, daily deaths are less than 3% of their Christmas peak, and while lockdown is being ended very cautiously, the current target is to scrap all domestic coronavirus restrictions less than three months from now. I'd say that, for the first time in the pandemic, we're actually doing rather well compared to other major western nations!
Last edited by Adam on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:17 pm

Adam wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am Travel restrictions are due to be eased as early as the 15th of May and some military deployments are exempt anyway. RIAT was the real reason the A-10 was due to visit the UK, Flying Legends was just a small side-show at which it would probably have performed a Heritage Flight only. No RIAT = no USAF participation at Flying Legends. As I said earlier, modern front-line jets really aren't what Flying Legends is about.

I would also disagree that "England is not doing well right now" - more than half the adult population has been vaccinated, daily deaths are less than 3% of their Christmas peak, and while lockdown is being ended very cautiously, the current target is to scrap all domestic coronavirus restrictions less than three months from now. I'd say that, for the first time in the pandemic, we're actually doing rather well compared to other major western nations!
For the RIAT part, that makes a lot of sense now of why. but very excellent that GB is doing well, I honestly don't why people are telling England is not doing well currently, to be frank, I never really tend to follow up the news relating to the pandemic. Im just waiting for life to return to its course... whenever that day might be?
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed May 12, 2021 5:00 pm

Tickets for Flying Legends 2021 are on sale! As well as the traditional 3hr45min afternoon flying display, this year will also include an evening display by The Blades, leading into a "flightline illumination". There are also options to view the arrivals and rehearsals on Friday.

Tickets start at £50/adult for show days and £25 for arrivals. Additional Covid measures will include reduced capacity, sanitiser stations, temperature screening for staff. Visitors may be required to show that they are "Covid-clear" (either a negative test result or proof of vaccination) to enter the show.

Aircraft announced today for the flying display include:
The Blades (x4 Extra 300)
Flying Bulls (P-38, B-25, F4U, P-51D)
Spitfire Mk.I (Comanche Fighters/The Fighter Collection)
Spitfire Mk.Ia (Comanche Fighters/The Fighter Collection)
Spitfire Mk.Ia (Imperial War Museum)
Spitfire Mk.V (Comanche Fighters)
Spitfire LF.Vb (The Fighter Collection)
Spitfire Mk.Vc (Aircraft Restoration Company)
Spitfire Mk.IX "Grace Spitfire" (Air Leasing)
Spitfire FR.XIV (Anglia Restorations)
Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (Anglia Restorations)
Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIa (Historic Aircraft Collection)
Hawker Fury FB.II (Anglia Restorations)
Hispano HA-1112-M4L Buchon "Red 11" (Air Leasing)
P-51B Mustang "Berlin Express" (Comanche Fighters)
P-51D Mustang "The Hun Hunter" (Comanche Fighters)
Republic P-47D Thunderbolt (Fighter Aviation Engineering)
Grumman FM2 Wildcat (The Fighter Collection)
Grumman F8F Bearcat (The Fighter Collection)
Curtiss P-36C (The Fighter Collection)
Curtiss Hawk 75 (The Fighter Collection)
Curtiss P-40F Warhawk (The Fighter Collection)
Curtiss Wright P-40C (The Fighter Collection)
Goodyear FG-1D Corsair (The Fighter Collection)
Last edited by Adam on Wed May 12, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”