2021 U.S Navy Demonstration Teams Schedule

Find out where your favorite performers will be! Be sure to check schedules for updates as they are always subject to change. Also post year-related performer information, such as music lists.
RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:39 pm

Just to add a little more context, TACDEMO (short for tactical demo) is really the term used by the Navy to describe their single-ship demos as a whole. Remember, there used to be two Legacy Hornet and two Super Hornet teams so it was a more varied time. All four teams fell under the umbrella of TACDEMO.

Once the Super Hornets came on the scene, the "Hornet Demo" was already a thing so to differentiate from that they called themselves the Rhino Demo Teams since Rhino is the nickname for the Super Hornet in the same way that F-16s are called Vipers. The Navy just seems to be a lot less formal than the Air Force so I suspect this name came from the crews more than anything. The name "East/West Coast Super Hornet Demonstration Team" was the more formal version but meant the same thing.

Then the Legacy Hornets went away, VFA-122 got out of doing full demos, and the Navy really gave up on performances for a while.

When the Navy got back into airshows more in 2019, it added some other units (EA-18Gs, T-6Bs, T-45s) to the mix for extra variety and to distribute the pressure of supporting events in addition to normal operations. VFA-122 was part of this expansion with their Super Hornets, but they did not regain 'demo team' status.

Where it stands today is that we have two 'full' demonstration teams:
  • F-18 Super Hornet Demo Team (aka the Rhino Demo Team) on the East Coast (VFA-106)
  • F-35C Lightning II Demo Team on the West Coast (VFA-125)
Then there are multiple units which have supported Legacy Flight appearances in the couple years. These are not authorized for full aerobatic demos, but they do sometimes do a few solo flybys:
  • F-18 Super Hornets from VFA-122
  • EA-18G Growlers from VAQ-129 (sometimes called the Growler Demo Team even though they do not fly a 'full' demo)
  • T-6 Texan IIs from ???
  • T-45 Goshawks from ???
Latest word is that the F-18 and F-35 demo teams will have scheduled appearances in 2021, VFA-122 will participate in Legacy Flights, the EA-18G is hoping to perform in Legacy Flights, and the participation of the T-6Bs and T-45s is unclear.
5 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:36 pm

RyanS wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:30 am Just to update with some current info:

The Navy was rumored to be releasing schedules at ICAS but did not. The schedules are expected sometime by the end of January I guess.

Don't get hopes too high though - it sounds like the Navy is having some big-budget issues and has cut way back on the number of shows they plan to support. One estimate I heard is in the area of 20 shows the total split between F-35C and F-18 demos, plus Legacy Flights - and of course that's before any COVID cancellations that will surely come.
Not good to hear, but you should expect that type of outcome in a post-pandemic world, budget cuts or big budget costs was never a surprise for any airshow entnhusaists, so very much expected, I overheard MCAS Miramar in Southern California has received new Navy F-35Cs and Marine Corp F-35Bs VTOL Jet Squardons, so hopefully Miramar and a few other shows on the West Coast could expect a Naval Demonstration Team hear and here.
Last edited by Nick on Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:12 pm

The Navy single-ship demos, no matter what you want to call them, have not been known for their consistency in recent years - largely due to budget and operational readiness from what I've gathered here and elsewhere.

The T-45 unit I've seen fly in Legacy formations is TW-6 from NAS Pensacola and the T-6s were from TAW-5 and NAS Whiting Field, but I don't know if those are the only units that perform Legacy flights.
0 x
Matt

wendovertom

Post by wendovertom » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:38 pm

Great info - thanks. One thing I have often wondered is why the Navy does not run thier single ship demos like the USAF - GASP - I know, I said "that". It seems that if you have a dedicated team it would simplify things and reduce the number of personnel who have to be "up to speed" on the demo routine.

Anyway - looking forward to the 2021 season!

Tom P.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:09 pm

wendovertom wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:38 pm Great info - thanks. One thing I have often wondered is why the Navy does not run thier single ship demos like the USAF - GASP - I know, I said "that". It seems that if you have a dedicated team it would simplify things and reduce the number of personnel who have to be "up to speed" on the demo routine.

Tom P.
Agreed! The Navy just makes it so complicated
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:26 am

RyanS wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:09 pm
wendovertom wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:38 pm Great info - thanks. One thing I have often wondered is why the Navy does not run thier single ship demos like the USAF - GASP - I know, I said "that". It seems that if you have a dedicated team it would simplify things and reduce the number of personnel who have to be "up to speed" on the demo routine.

Tom P.
Agreed! The Navy just makes it so complicated
I agree with your assertion, and also thanks to the pandemic it definitely in point of view, has worsen in this scenario where if the Naval Single-Ship Demo Teams were to discuss their position on 2021 (which most-definite is the case) I would assert it is "uncertain" based on the issue right now and rising concerns for fellow sailors and airmen, but your are correct Ryan. the Navy can can be somewhat compilated in their scheduling, and of course their not alike compare to their counterparts at Air Combat Command where they would immediately meet at the table with the Airshow Industry and discuss their position of the year, that is what you answered right there, is ACC has an abundance of personal compared to the Navy Demo Teams, but not as much information or knowledge I have obtained on the Naval Demo Teams, I'm almost positive they will come up with a solution with their scheduling, but of course you never know what happens next, so still I would still keep my fingers regardless of the current situation were in.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:57 pm

Still heard nothing from the Naval Single-Ship Demo Teams or so forth, I think the pandemic is holding them back from announcing any further show dates to ensure that when the time is right to start picking things back up again so they know fully its safe to start sending in demo teams, but hopefully we can expect something soon maybe sometime in the spring, but, we'll have to wait and see what happens next. Oh, and I know this late to say, but Happy New Year's.

- Nick J.
Last edited by Nick on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:38 am

Any updates on the Navy single ship demo teams for the 2021 season?

I think they are waiting until the pandemic is more predictable to tell if the shows that they plan to perform at will be safe.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:09 am

smalldude333 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:38 am Any updates on the Navy single ship demo teams for the 2021 season?

I think they are waiting until the pandemic is more predictable to tell if the shows that they plan to perform at will be safe.
No, but yes you answered it. The Navy is likely awaiting for the pandemic to wind down, while evaluating when its really safe to return, so they can notify all airshow enthusiasts, that they can confirm they have a show season. I'll keep tabs with them. If any updates are released, I'll be sure to post them on this thread.
Last edited by Nick on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:55 pm

Just found something on the ICAS calendar, but nothing major, but the Navy Legacy Flight will be attending the "Buccaneer Days" Airshow event in Corpus Christi, Texas, however, still no confirmation on neither the Single-Ship Jet and/or the Warbird. Via: https://airshows.aero/Page/AirShowsCalendar
0 x