RAF Typhoon Display Team 2021

Find out where your favorite performers will be! Be sure to check schedules for updates as they are always subject to change. Also post year-related performer information, such as music lists.
Flightline Uk

RAF Typhoon Display Team 2021

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:21 am

;) Small piece of minor news about the team....

From a longer press release published this morning:
he majority of the RAF Typhoon fleet will sport standard charcoal grey covers, but the Typhoon Display Team aircraft, operated by 29(R) Squadron at RAF Coningsby, will wear distinctive red covers. The Team plays an important role in spreading the Royal Air Force and UK Defence message at home and internationally. In addition to protecting the aircraft at remote airfields around the world, the custom Air Covers’ product will play an important part in supporting this message when international air shows return in 2021.

Air Covers printed two alternative cover logos for the Typhoon Display Team, before sharing them on Instagram and Facebook and invited followers to vote for their favourite. “We had a great response from Typhoon fans, who were pretty unanimous on their favourite design. This has now been applied to the new Display Team covers,” John Pattisonsaid.
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri May 21, 2021 4:03 pm

June

5th-6th – Midlands Air Festival, Ragley Hall, Warwickshire

July

24th-25th – Duxford Summer Airshow, IWM Duxford, Cambridgeshire

August

6th-7th – Kaivopuisto Air Show, Helsinki, Finland

September

2nd-5th – Bournemouth Air Festival, Dorset
4th – Chatsworth Country Fair, Derbyshire
11th – Abingdon Air & Country Show, Oxfordshire
11th-12th – RAF Cosford Airshow, Shropshire
18th-19th – Meeting Aerien, Luxeil, France
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu May 27, 2021 7:29 pm

The Old Buckenham Airshow has also announced the Typhoon solo display on the 30th July-1st August.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri May 28, 2021 8:41 am

New Display scheme launched:

Last edited by Flightline Uk on Fri May 28, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri May 28, 2021 8:55 am

The government and armed forces do seem to have got themselves into the habit of plastering our flag all over any inanimate object that comes to hand at the moment! I count ten partial union flags on that jet. We're lucky it's a fairly nice flag, I guess.

Anyway, a very nice surprise after the team said on Twitter last week that there was no special scheme jet. I guess at the time, that was true.

Interestingly, someone on Facebook noticed that this was the same scheme planned for 2019, albeit on a standard grey jet rather than a matte black one, as there were no aggressor Typhoons at that point. ZJ914 was the first (and only?) matte black aggressor jet. Now it's all dressed up in union jacks, I wonder what this means for aggressor duties?
Last edited by Adam on Fri May 28, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri May 28, 2021 9:14 am

This display scheme will be used for the 2021 and 2022 display seasons
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri May 28, 2021 1:26 pm

Full story now up!

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2021/05/ai ... play-team/
Today, 29 Squadron at Royal Air Force Coningsby unveiled a Typhoon aircraft with a spectacular ‘Union Jack’ paint scheme. The design covers large areas of the aircraft’s fuselage and wings and will be a highlight at air shows for the next two summers.

The 2021 display pilot, Flight Lieutenant James Sainty said, “I am extremely proud to be literally flying the flag in this aircraft. I am confident that air show crowds over the next two years will share some of that pride when they see the aircraft.”

A Typhoon display is a culmination of months of hard work, detailed preparation and concerted effort by the team behind the display. Whilst it is the pilot who displays the aircraft, he cannot even begin to do his role without the unfaltering commitment and backing of the dedicated group of professionals that make up the Typhoon Display Team.

Wing Commander Jim Calvert Officer Commanding 29 Squadron said “We are extremely priviedged to be displaying a typhoon instunning livery this year, demonstrating the amazing capabilites of this aircraft at venues across the UK and Europe. Special thanks must to the personnel, RAF, Civil servants and industry collegues who made this possible.” He added, “The new paint scheme give me an enormous amount of pride. I hope this feeling is shared by everyone who is lucky enough to see it perform this year.”

The aircraft will feature at venues across the UK and overseas in 2021 and 2022. It will also be flown at RAF Coningsby where it us used to instruct trainee Typhoon pilots.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri May 28, 2021 2:19 pm

And here are the first photos of the aircraft in flight.

Tail: nice, I genuinely really like it
Underside: could be a bit Marmite, but certainly very striking
Topside: EURGH PLEASE MAKE IT GO AWAY

Ill-fitting triangular stickers that look like they've come straight off Microsoft Paint and don't even align with the leading edge, nasty faux-rippled flags on the canards that look like an almost sarcastic contrast to the rigidly geometric shapes everywhere else, and random grey panels which make it look like the car from the Inbetweeners (I'm sure there's a good reason, but nobody else's special schemes have this problem - surely some more thoughtful design work could have incorporated them into the theme in a way that didn't look like a mistake).

I also spotted a surprise extra flag to bring the total flag count to a frankly astonishing eleven. The design process for everything nowadays seems to be "it's got 11 flags on it, which means it must be good - and if you don't like it, you're not a patriot". Oh, for something a bit more tasteful. Thank goodness for the Canadians, the Belgians and the French.
Last edited by Adam on Fri May 28, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:52 am

Guernsey have just confirmed the Typhoon display (Jersey likely to follow too)
0 x