2021 USAF F-16 Fighting Falcon Demonstration Schedule

Find out where your favorite performers will be! Be sure to check schedules for updates as they are always subject to change. Also post year-related performer information, such as music lists.
Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:42 pm

Does anyone have any insight into what is going on with the Viper Demo Team? They were removed from this coming weekend's Owensboro airshow. I assume this may be fallout from the sonic boom incident (?) at Oshkosh, but I'm wondering if there is any news or rumours out there on the remainder of the airshow season?
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:52 pm

Ken91 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:42 pm Does anyone have any insight into what is going on with the Viper Demo Team? They were removed from this coming weekend's Owensboro airshow. I assume this may be fallout from the sonic boom incident (?) at Oshkosh, but I'm wondering if there is any news or rumours out there on the remainder of the airshow season?
I think the sonic boom thing is being blown way out of proportion by people who weren't there. He flew again a few hours later and then several more times during the rest of the week. It really wasn't THAT big of a deal in any sort of publicly visible way at least and I'd be shocked if there were any major repercussions like canceled shows or replacement.

Such a last minute change is unusual and disappointing, but perhaps someone on the team is ill (COVID?) and they can't make it now.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:23 pm

RyanS wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:52 pm
Ken91 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:42 pm Does anyone have any insight into what is going on with the Viper Demo Team? They were removed from this coming weekend's Owensboro airshow. I assume this may be fallout from the sonic boom incident (?) at Oshkosh, but I'm wondering if there is any news or rumours out there on the remainder of the airshow season?
I think the sonic boom thing is being blown way out of proportion by people who weren't there. He flew again a few hours later and then several more times during the rest of the week. It really wasn't THAT big of a deal in any sort of publicly visible way at least and I'd be shocked if there were any major repercussions like canceled shows or replacement.

Such a last minute change is unusual and disappointing, but perhaps someone on the team is ill (COVID?) and they can't make it now.
In full disclosure, I wasn't there. I've read a few comments that it seemed like a big deal, but then others that said it wasn't. Their social media (FB page) seems pretty quiet, so that plus withdrawing from Owensboro makes me wonder. FYI, I'm wasn't going to any other shows until October & November (Orlando/Sanford and Stuart), and the Viper Demo is scheduled for Stuart.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:47 pm

I didn't mean to accuse you personally, I just meant that lots of people keep talking about it and kind of going overboard. :)

Some day maybe we will find out!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:55 pm

RyanS wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:47 pm I didn't mean to accuse you personally, I just meant that lots of people keep talking about it and kind of going overboard. :)

Some day maybe we will find out!
Hey Ryan. I didn't take it personally, at all. I know you were there and I wasn't. Yes, it does seem that some comments were going a bit overboard which is why I was interested to know if anyone actually knew anything concrete. Which it doesn't sound like, at least at this time. I do appreciate you responding though.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:06 pm

The organizers of the Owensboro Airshow posted this on their Facebook page.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the F-16 Viper Demo Team will not be able to make it to the Owensboro Air Show this weekend. Join us for the rest of the spectacular lineup with the SOCOM Para-Commandos, F-22 Raptor Demo Team, the US Navy Blue Angels and some of the best civilian aerobatic pilots in the world!

Doesn't specify what the unforeseen circumstances were.
0 x

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:57 pm

Interesting. I certainly hope all is well with the team.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:16 pm

Looks like it isn't quite well - sound like Toro got hurt pretty badly and is out for a long while. Yikes! Hopefully no long lasting repercussions on his flying career.

Viper Demo nation, a note from our demo pilot:

I got in a mountain biking accident and I won’t be flying for 6-9 weeks. I’ll make a full recovery and finish the season with the @viperdemoteam #fullsendintoatree

For those who haven’t heard, I got in a fairly serious accident last week while mountain biking. I had a front wheel catch while on a downhill trail, flipped over the front of my handle bars, and flew into a couple trees.

The end results were about as good as I could hope for with an accident like that. Some minor fractures in my back, a few fractured ribs, and a bunch of scrapes and bruises. The back fractures won’t have any lasting affect other than being painful for the next few weeks. I’ve had plenty of fractured ribs, so I’m familiar with how bad those suck.

All in all I’m very grateful and fortunate to come out of such a bad accident with no permanent injuries. My doctors, nurses, techs, leadership, friends, family, and especially @drb_emergency have all been incredible. - @toroschmitz16 -
Last edited by RyanS on Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:01 pm

Dang! That's unfortunate for the injuries, but fortunate that there isn't any anticipated long term issues. I certainly wish Toro a full and complete recovery!
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:32 pm

Looks like "Toro" is finally back in the saddle and ready to finish the rest of the 2021 season.
We’re officially back in the air! We couldn’t be happier to start flying again!

Catch us in San Francisco next week!

United States Air ForceU.S. Air Force Recruiting Air Combat CommandShaw Air Force Base
0 x