Thunder Over Michigan 2022

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Mon May 02, 2022 9:06 pm

AIRCRAFT LIST
Keep watch for more additions in the coming months!!

Air Combat Command F-16 Viper Demonstration Team (Morning Shows ONLY)
United States Air Force

United States Navy Parachute Team – “Leap Frogs” (Morning Shows ONLY)
United States Navy

United States Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron "Blue Angels" (Afternoon Shows ONLY)
United States Navy

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk. IXc
Dakota Territory Air Museum

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk. IXe
Military Aviation Museum

Hawker Hurricane Mk. XIIx
Dakota Territory Air Museum

Hawker Hurricane Mk. XII
Military Aviation Museum

Hawker Hurricane Mk. XII
Mike Potter Aircraft Collection

de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk. 26
Military Aviation Museum

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10
Erickson Aircraft Collection

Westland Lysander Mk.IIIa
Lysander Historical Aviation

Fairey Firefly AS Mk. 6
Eddie Kurdziel

de Havilland Vampire T Mk. 55
Jerry Conley

North American P-51B Mustang "OLD CROW”
Jack Roush

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress “Yankee Lady”
Yankee Air Museum

North American Aviation B-25D Mitchell "ROSIE’S REPLY"
Yankee Air Museum

North American Aviation B-25J Mitchell "Georgie’s Gal”
Liberty Aviation Museum

Douglas C-47A Skytrain
The Liberty Foundation

Douglas C-47D Skytrain “Hairless Joe”
Yankee Air Museum

Bell UH-1H Iroquois “Greyhound” (Walk-up rides will be available!)
Yankee Air Museum

Ford 4-AT-B Trimotor
Yankee Air Museum

North American T-28B Trojan
Roger Babb

North American Aviation T-6D Texan
Lou Feldvary

North American Aviation T-6D Texan
Bob Pingston

Vultee SNV-1 Valiant
Bruce Koch

Boeing F/A-18E Hornet
U.S Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron – NAS Pensacola, FL

Boeing F/A-18E Hornet

Boeing F/A-18E Hornet

Boeing F/A-18E Hornet

Boeing F/A-18E Hornet

Boeing F/A-18E Hornet

Boeing F/A-18F Hornet

Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules

Lockheed F-16CJ Fighting Falcon – Viper Demonstration Team
20th FW Shaw AFB, SC

Lockheed F-16CJ Fighting Falcon – Viper Demonstration Team
20th FW Shaw AFB, SC

Lockheed F-16C Fighting Falcon
180th FW – Toledo ANGB, OH

Lockheed F-16C Fighting Falcon
180th FW – Toledo ANGB, OH

Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker
121st Wing – Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base, OH

Northrup Grumman E-2 Hawkeye
VAW-120 – NAS Norfolk, VA

Northrup Grumman E-2 Hawkeye

Northrup Grumman C-2 Greyhound

Boeing F/A-18E/F Hornet
VFC-12 – NAS Oceana, VA

Boeing F/A-18E/F Hornet
VFC-12 – NAS Oceana, VA

Lockheed P-3C Orion
Naval Air Wing 3 - Nordholz, Germany

Extra 330SC
Michael Goulian

Aircraft appearing are subject to change due to many reasons beyond our control, to include but not limited to, maintenance, weather, or other circumstances. We appreciate your understanding.
Some small updates to the l list. A pair of F-16s wrre added and the Static indicators are gone Although I found them pretty helpful.
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Tue May 03, 2022 3:11 pm

smalldude333 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:06 pm
Some small updates to the l list. A pair of F-16s wrre added and the Static indicators are gone Although I found them pretty helpful.
Lizzie added too!
0 x

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 » Thu May 05, 2022 8:40 am

The line up looks great but the $225 tickets for a half day show without much of a chance for a view without ten rows of cars in between you and the runway kind of puts me off. I wish they would get rid of the Drive in style of airshows. The Pandemic is over but I suspect this more over money than safety. It might be fine for people with ten kids in a van but for single people it is a ridiculous price. Maybe a mix of people on foot on the flight line and if people want to sit in their cars let them do that. I personally would like to be up front where If I make the effort I would have a chance of an unblocked view of the runway and taxiways for photography. Is there a place near the end of the runway or approach that you can view from outside the fence ?
1 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Thu May 05, 2022 11:12 am

Grunt087 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:40 am The line up looks great but the $225 tickets for a half day show without much of a chance for a view without ten rows of cars in between you and the runway kind of puts me off. I wish they would get rid of the Drive in style of airshows. The Pandemic is over but I suspect this more over money than safety. It might be fine for people with ten kids in a van but for single people it is a ridiculous price. Maybe a mix of people on foot on the flight line and if people want to sit in their cars let them do that. I personally would like to be up front where If I make the effort I would have a chance of an unblocked view of the runway and taxiways for photography. Is there a place near the end of the runway or approach that you can view from outside the fence ?
If you want to be closest to the flight line, ecorse road will be the best. If you want to be at the end of the runway, Tyler Road on the other side would be the best. Ecorse will be closed on the runway side.
0 x

FlyRed

Post by FlyRed » Thu May 05, 2022 12:49 pm

Please remember that the Yankee Air Museum uses the gate receipts from Thunder to fly their incredible collection. The idea that people are profiting off the higher cost is unfair. The shutdowns of the last two years have been very difficult and their 80 year old airplanes fly regularly and therefore have high fuel, insurance and maintenance costs. This is also a museum building a new home. Don't take this collection for granted. Please consider that the money being spent to attend Thunder, one of North America's best air shows, goes to the museum. Support Aviation Museums! They aren't all in the same financial position.

Just over two months away from a terrific assortment of old and new at Willow Run and remember, the light during the morning show is about as good as you'll get at any air show. Very excited for this one!
0 x

Warbird55

Post by Warbird55 » Thu May 05, 2022 1:39 pm

Myself and a small group of volunteers will be running the photo pit again this year for Thunder Over Michigan. If anyone is interested, please send me a private message. The photo pit will be open all day Friday for arrivals and practice, both Saturday shows plus a night shoot, and both shows on Sunday.

Jason Smith
2 x

robert16627

Post by robert16627 » Tue May 10, 2022 11:50 pm

Not sure if anyone has seen this, back in 2012 they sort of included Thunder Over Michigan in with it, not sure if they'll do the same this year. https://www.wxyz.com/news/u-s-navy-week ... july-11-17
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed May 11, 2022 3:38 pm

The USAF Heritage Flight at Ypsilanti this year will feature a P-51 Mustang flying alongside the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

https://www.acc.af.mil/Home/Aerial-Even ... -schedule/
0 x

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Sat May 14, 2022 12:55 am

smalldude333 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:12 am
Grunt087 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:40 am The line up looks great but the $225 tickets for a half day show without much of a chance for a view without ten rows of cars in between you and the runway kind of puts me off. I wish they would get rid of the Drive in style of airshows. The Pandemic is over but I suspect this more over money than safety. It might be fine for people with ten kids in a van but for single people it is a ridiculous price. Maybe a mix of people on foot on the flight line and if people want to sit in their cars let them do that. I personally would like to be up front where If I make the effort I would have a chance of an unblocked view of the runway and taxiways for photography. Is there a place near the end of the runway or approach that you can view from outside the fence ?
If you want to be closest to the flight line, ecorse road will be the best. If you want to be at the end of the runway, Tyler Road on the other side would be the best. Ecorse will be closed on the runway side.
Or you can spend your extra $135.00 for each person in your car for your 1/2 day Thunderdeck chair!
0 x

Rhino93

Post by Rhino93 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:50 pm

From the Thunder Over Michigan Re-enactors Facebook page:
Important Announcement
I am deeply saddened and disappointed to announce the cancellation of the reenactor and military vehicle portion of Thunder Over Michigan 2022.
A month ago, the Yankee Air Museum decided to bring the reenactors back and incorporate us as a partner in the new “drive-up” format.
The first meeting with local authorities to discuss this change happened last Friday. It was decided to put the reenactors’ participation on hold for this year, in part due to the short notice and other logistical and safety issues.
Personally, I highly disagree with this decision but also recognize that it is out of my control.
I can guess everyone’s feelings as you read this. Please refrain from posting any angry comments.
Lastly, for your information, spectators were asked to take a survey after the 2021 airshow. One of the questions asked was whether they would like to see the battle reenactment in 2022 and 70%+ said yes.
I appreciate everyone who has participated in years past and wish there was better news.
0 x
Ryan
Quebec, Canada

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”