Thunder Over Michigan 2022

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:40 am

RyanS wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:22 pm I dunno, I think this is a fine place to discuss the changes and their continued impact on our community of fans. The negative comments I have seen have been valid posts. If it starts to get overwhelmingly whiny or repetitive, I'll step in.

The fact is the changes made are incredibly unpopular and have turned away many long time supporters of the show and YAM as a whole. I know my family, who have been attending TOM since before it was TOM, have canceled their membership and are only attending this year because they get a free ticket or something like that. I think it's a tragedy that my local show has gone this route and it's nice to know others agree, even if only to vent a little of my frustrations.

As for whether it makes a difference or not, you are right that a few posts here won't make them reverse course but they do contribute to the overall topic of whether this is a good move for the industry as a whole. I can also say that you never know who might be reading the thread.

I appreciate the discussion!
Probably the most impactful aspect of deciding show format are the surveys sent out after the show comes to a close. The Thunder team mentioned something like 90% of people said they would attend a drive in show again (assuming the 10% are the hardcore fans). This format suites your "average family". It is very blatant that TOM has shifted from a hardcore fan airshow to "an average Joe" airshow. Considerably disappointing.

Touching back on whether it makes a difference or not, people from the Thunder team most obviously see our complaints (Ex. Warbird Information Exchange. That place is flooded with complaints and airshow director Michael Luther is on that thread).

It does not seem this format will end any time soon, but you never know. This will likely be my last year attending the show which is very tragic because this show is less than a 10 minute drive from where I live (It's not all bad, I can see half the show from my house!).

I wish Thunder the best and hope they will start taking our opinions into consideration.

Thank you all!
1 x

ssims45

Post by ssims45 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:27 pm

Probably the most impactful aspect of deciding show format are the surveys sent out after the show comes to a close. The Thunder team mentioned something like 90% of people said they would attend a drive in show again (assuming the 10% are the hardcore fans).
I sure hope they're not basing their decision on surveys alone. Coming from the IT industry, and researching survey response statistics in-depth, generally the response rates are abysmal. IT satisfaction surveys...where you can complain that you received slow or incorrect support for your computer problem...see MAYBE 30% as a peak response rate. In general they sit below 10%. Is TOM really letting 10% of their attendees direct their future major fundraising efforts?

The simple fact is the current format is too expensive for most families (the prime supporter of air shows) to attend. I'll be curious to see what happens next year when there aren't as many free tickets floating around.
0 x

miker5012

Post by miker5012 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:26 pm

RyanS wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:22 pm I dunno, I think this is a fine place to discuss the changes and their continued impact on our community of fans. The negative comments I have seen have been valid posts. If it starts to get overwhelmingly whiny or repetitive, I'll step in.

The fact is the changes made are incredibly unpopular and have turned away many long time supporters of the show and YAM as a whole. I know my family, who have been attending TOM since before it was TOM, have canceled their membership and are only attending this year because they get a free ticket or something like that. I think it's a tragedy that my local show has gone this route and it's nice to know others agree, even if only to vent a little of my frustrations.

As for whether it makes a difference or not, you are right that a few posts here won't make them reverse course but they do contribute to the overall topic of whether this is a good move for the industry as a whole. I can also say that you never know who might be reading the thread.

I appreciate the discussion!
Very well written comment
0 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:55 am

Just added, The Vintage Wings of Canada's Hurricane Mk. XII!
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:09 pm

All 3 actively airworthy NA based Hurricanes. Worth something at least right? ;)
1 x

FlyRed

Post by FlyRed » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:06 pm

242 Squadron, Willie McKnight Hurricane

Great addition. Very excited for this show.
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:14 am

As usual, a lot of the confirmations come in the months closer to the show. Hey if you don't want to spend $400 for a ticket I get it, but there are some more warbirds in the works to round out the lineup. Really good variety left on the table to make this a one-of-a-kind airshow at TOM.
Last edited by GRNDP51 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:56 am

I also am disheartened for the continuation of the 2 shows a day format. If I came solo or one extra person as in years past, the cost to drive plus gas plus hotel wasn't bad if I bought 2 tickets and parking passes for complete full day shows on Sat and Sun. Cost is more expensive for me now to choose a 1/2 day show, on a specific day, without knowing the split lineup months in advance = no go.

I appreciate the drive-in attempt format versus no show at all with covid.

TOM is EXTREMELY lucky the Blues or T-Birds are not at the all-free Selfridge show this year, or they would have an even steeper dent in their paid tickets.
2 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:29 am

Liberty Foundation's newly repainted C-47A added. Will be a static display.
0 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Sun May 01, 2022 12:52 pm

Jack Roush's P-51B Mustang "OLD CROW" will be attending.
0 x

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”