Thunder Over Michigan 2022

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
ohio3gunner

Post by ohio3gunner » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:37 am

A couple more...
Attachments
Spitfire-1-4.jpg
Spitfire-1-4.jpg (103.63 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
FG-1D-1.jpg
FG-1D-1.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
2 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:34 pm

B-52 cancelled.

0 x
Dan Gagnon

Xray

Post by Xray » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:19 pm

wow what happened, early show cancelled ? Saw a hearitage flight around 11and thats about it
0 x

JBavaition

Post by JBavaition » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:05 am

According to this article, the Museum plans to have a trial show in Muskegon next year.
https://www.hourdetroit.com/things-to-d ... a-new-era/
0 x

Nick0620

Post by Nick0620 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:41 am

Wasn't able to make it up to the show today. Was Tyler rd still open?
0 x

Xray

Post by Xray » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:00 am

Nick0620 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:41 am Wasn't able to make it up to the show today. Was Tyler rd still open?
Nope no entry to Tyler unless you had a ticket, assume the same for SUN.
Honestly didn't miss much outside of the Blues, one of the deadest shows I have ever attended.
1 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:47 pm

I talked to some people who were there yesterday morning. They were sympathetic to what the show had to work with due to the amount of no-shows, but they also said the show didn't seem to make much of an effort to adapt the show to what was actually there - unlike many other shows we have attended together. According to them, there was about an hour and 15 minutes of flying in the morning with six total aircraft in the air and the show starting late/wrapping up early, plus quite a bit of down time between several acts. They also said that the flying aircraft were totally inaccessible and wondered why as Thunder has never fully sterilized the flying warbirds on a hot ramp before. They also arrived at 6:30 only to be directed to a closed gate once traffic got moving, then got told to turn around and did not get parked until an hour later. Didn't sound like they had a good experience.

This is all secondhand info though so take that for what it's worth.
0 x
Matt

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:09 pm

I'll throw what I can into the review column here from my experience on Saturday-

First, as everyone understood, the show was 2 hours in the morning, 2.5 hours in the afternoon. Both shows were a little shorter than that, and I can completely understand people paying $225+ online ticket fee being disappointed in falling shorter than an already short show. Being there from early morning, to the break in between both shows, there was A TON of downtime. I personally don't mind downtime as being at an airshow even with nothing going on is always fun for me, but as stated a few words ago, I can understand people being annoyed with this too (even though the timing schedule has been stated for a year, more or less).

The thing that I actually have insight on is the no-shows. Michael worked his .. tail.. off to make up for the cancellations, and for any warbird fans that were in attendance, you can only be so disappointed in the showing. The variety was pretty impressive, even with only 7 piston warbirds on the hot ramp. Tri-State's P-40 was a VERY last minute add, and was a pleasant surprise to have at the show. You can blame the other shows before TOM that mooched off TOM's theme, because the Mossie is still broken in St. Louis, Hurricane broke during that trip as well. Spitfire pilot was sick, so Yagen was a total wash. Even tried getting their P-40 or ANYTHING to come and it just got to be too big of a deal. Yagen was even going to try to send the Mossie Saturday morning, but they couldn't get it done in time.

Static displays are a similar story, the P-3 is broken in Canada, Osprey was an unexpected no-show coming from CA IMO.

Lastly, the warbird hot ramp opened up between the morning and afternoon shows because they had to bring all of the warbirds from the Yankee hangar since they put them inside while it was raining all Friday night. The pilots were trying to get them over on the ramp as quickly as possible Saturday morning, but Bernie running double duty, problems with the Spitfire, etc., they just couldn't open the ramp with enough time for anyone to look at things before having to shut it down again before the show starts.

Do I hope the format and timing change? Yes of course, but I also enjoyed the show as a warbird enthusiast who got to see some airframes flying for the first time so it was worth it for me.
0 x

Iamwiz82

Post by Iamwiz82 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:13 pm

I was pretty disappointed in the Saturday show. 3.5 hours of down time between shows 1 and 2 was completely unacceptable given the lack of any entertainment elsewhere. The morning show was exceptionally poor. It felt like it was just called in. The F16 demo was pretty good and the Blue Angels rocked it. Michael Goulian Put on a great performance as well.
1 x

itsnotreddit

Post by itsnotreddit » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:26 am

I don't think I mind the drive in thing, and the cost is its own topic, but, IMO, the two-show thing is a bad beat, man. Just feels like dividing the indivisible in a weird way. Even those who buy both tickets are stuck with a long lunch's worth of down time. I'm speaking as an av geek here, so maybe it's a better fit for others, not really sure.

To further the point, the cancellations seem much worse, I would think, if you're only attending one show. As many things went wrong this weekend, I think it could have stood up as one decent show. Each show taken on its own was a little weak.

I think having two demo teams helped sell the idea last year, not sure if that's sustainable though.

Anyway, still some cool stuff, and the Blues are always worth it. Hoping for a little more next year.

There have really been some stellar shows over the years. One of my favs was the '09 show (I think), was very cool to see the F4 that year.
2 x

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”