Thunder Over Michigan 2022

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:05 pm

E-2 Hawkeye is confirmed for a Demo and possibly the C-2 also
1 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:46 pm

Aircraft list updated.
AIRCRAFT LIST
Keep watch for more additions in the coming months!!

*Air Combat Command F-16 Viper Demonstration Team (Morning Shows ONLY)
United States Air Force

*United States Navy Parachute Team – “Leap Frogs” (Morning Shows ONLY)
United States Navy

*United States Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron "Blue Angels" (Afternoon Shows ONLY)
United States Navy

*Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk. IXc
Dakota Territory Air Museum

*Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk. IXe
Military Aviation Museum

*Hawker Hurricane Mk. XII
Dakota Territory Air Museum

*Hawker Hurricane Mk. XII
Military Aviation Museum

*de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk. 26
Military Aviation Museum

*Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10
Erickson Aircraft Collection

*Fairey Firefly AS Mk. 6
Eddie Kurdziel

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress “Yankee Lady”
Yankee Air Museum

North American Aviation B-25D Mitchell "ROSIE’S REPLY"
Yankee Air Museum

North American Aviation B-25J Mitchell "Georgie’s Gal”
Liberty Aviation Museum

Douglas C-47D Skytrain “Hairless Joe”
Yankee Air Museum

Bell UH-1H Iroquois “Greyhound” (Walk-up rides will be available!)
Yankee Air Museum

Ford 4-AT-B Trimotor
Yankee Air Museum

North American T-28B Trojan
Roger Babb

North American Aviation T-6D Texan
Lou Feldvary

North American Aviation T-6D Texan
Bob Pingston

Vultee SNV-1 Valiant
Bruce Koch

*Boeing F/A-18E Hornet
U.S Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron – NAS Pensacola, FL

*Boeing F/A-18E Hornet

*Boeing F/A-18E Hornet

*Boeing F/A-18E Hornet

*Boeing F/A-18E Hornet

*Boeing F/A-18E Hornet

Boeing F/A-18F Hornet

*Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules

*Lockheed F-16CJ Fighting Falcon – Viper Demonstration Team
20th FW Shaw AFB, SC

Lockheed F-16CJ Fighting Falcon – Viper Demonstration Team
20th FW Shaw AFB, SC

Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker
121st Wing – Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base, OH

*Northrup Grumman E-2 Hawkeye
VAW-120 – NAS Norfolk, VA

*Northrup Grumman E-2 Hawkeye

Northrup Grumman C-2 Greyhound

Boeing F/A-18E/F Hornet
VFC-12 – NAS Oceana, VA

Boeing F/A-18E/F Hornet
VFC-12 – NAS Oceana, VA

Lockheed P-3C Orion
Naval Air Wing 3 - Nordholz, Germany

*Extra 330SC
Michael Goulian

*Indicates static display aircraft only.
Although the Static display indicators are definitely messed up. It would be pretty unfortunate if the Blue Angels were Static only :lol:
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:48 pm

smalldude333 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:46 pm
Although the Static display indicators are definitely messed up. It would be pretty unfortunate if the Blue Angels were Static only :lol:
They fixed this on the website now. It was exactly opposite. :D
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:25 am

Wasn't sure if any of you noticed before, but it looks we may have on static display this year a P-3 Orion from Germany.

https://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/aircraft-list/
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:51 pm

Current Lineup

Performers
USN Blue Angels
USN E-2C Hawkeye Demo (2-ship)
USN Leap Frogs Parachute Team
USAF F-16C Viper Demo
USAF Heritage Flight (F-16C, Warbird TBD)
USMC C-130J Hercules "Fat Albert" Demo
Extra 330SC (Micheal Goulian)
DH-115 Vampire Mk. 55
Firefly AS Mk. 6
Mosquito FB Mk. 26
Hurricane Mk. XII
Hurricane Mk. XII
Spitfire LF Mk. IXc
Spitfire LF Mk. IXe
Messershmitte Bf 109G-10

Static Displays
T-6D Texan
T-6D Texan
T-28B Trojan
B-17G Flying Fortress "Yankee Lady"
Ford 4-AT-B Trimotor "Tin Goose"
C-47D Skytrain "Hairless Joe"
B-25D Mitchell "Rosie's Reply"
SNV-1 Valiant
German Navy P-3C Orion
USAF KC-135R Stratotanker
USN C-2 Greyhound
USN F-18E Super Hornet
USN F-18E Super Hornet
0 x

miker5012

Post by miker5012 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:28 pm

I hope the decision makers as a wholes comes together and give up on this drive in format. I used to attend TOM on a regular basis, but as a single man I can’t afford to drop $400 for a one day airshow, especially when TOM does NOTHING to prevent people from walking around, standing in other peoples space.
Airshow used to be about the family experience, and it has been destroyed.
The lineup this year isn’t even worth that money in the first place. Battle Creek is have two f-35 demo teams, and I hear that the navy demo team is a two ship show! Plus BC has the best pilot in the world flying this year, Rob Holland and also Bill Stein!
I don’t wish bad results or low numbers for any show, but I’m praying that the people that make the decisions at Thunder wake up one day and realize I that all they are doing is catering to the people that have nothing but massive amounts of disposable cash.
0 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:02 pm

miker5012 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:28 pm I hope the decision makers as a wholes comes together and give up on this drive in format. I used to attend TOM on a regular basis, but as a single man I can’t afford to drop $400 for a one day airshow, especially when TOM does NOTHING to prevent people from walking around, standing in other peoples space.
The lineup this year isn’t even worth that money in the first place. Battle Creek is have two f-35 demo teams, and I hear that the navy demo team is a two ship show! Plus BC has the best pilot in the world flying this year, Rob Holland and also Bill Stein!
I don’t wish bad results or low numbers for any show, but I’m praying that the people that make the decisions at Thunder wake up one day and realize I that all they are doing is catering to the people that have nothing but massive amounts of disposable cash.
I completely understand and feel the same way about this sudden change in format, but all of these complaints won't make too much of a difference.

No matter how annoying this new change is, the complaints about it are giving off a very negative tone and that isn't what this thread should be about.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:22 pm

I dunno, I think this is a fine place to discuss the changes and their continued impact on our community of fans. The negative comments I have seen have been valid posts. If it starts to get overwhelmingly whiny or repetitive, I'll step in.

The fact is the changes made are incredibly unpopular and have turned away many long time supporters of the show and YAM as a whole. I know my family, who have been attending TOM since before it was TOM, have canceled their membership and are only attending this year because they get a free ticket or something like that. I think it's a tragedy that my local show has gone this route and it's nice to know others agree, even if only to vent a little of my frustrations.

As for whether it makes a difference or not, you are right that a few posts here won't make them reverse course but they do contribute to the overall topic of whether this is a good move for the industry as a whole. I can also say that you never know who might be reading the thread.

I appreciate the discussion!
4 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:06 pm

I will just add to this and say that, despite the complimentary ticket, I won't be going. My Dad and I have gone all but one year the show has been held since 2000 (we skipped the helicopter theme) and we just have no desire to support this format. I printed out my ticket already and sent it to a friend who lives in the area so he can take his kids if he wants. I am open to a drive-in if it's all day and I can see all the acts, or for paying more for an increase in quality. I guess if you're used to spending extra for photo pits, chalets, etc. (which I have no interest in), the sticker shock isn't so bad, but for the average attendee, it's not very palatable.

For the sake of the museum I hope they don't lose money, but I can't say I'm rooting for this format to succeed. I think it's an extremely sterile experience and it continues to come across as nothing more than a money grab dressed up in "choose your headliner" marketing BS. This used to be THE show of the summer for me and it's now an afterthought. I can't foresee going back no matter what they do thematically.

I do hope for those of you attending the show that you have a good experience. Obviously, everyone is welcome to like what they like and if this is what you enjoy, have a great time!
2 x
Matt

bigt512

Post by bigt512 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:09 am

miker5012 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:28 pm I hope the decision makers as a wholes comes together and give up on this drive in format. I used to attend TOM on a regular basis, but as a single man I can’t afford to drop $400 for a one day airshow, especially when TOM does NOTHING to prevent people from walking around, standing in other peoples space.
I am going to TOM this year because I already have tickets for one day. You get what maybe 5-6 hours of time on the field for a huge price. At Battle creek which I will be at all weekend it is under $20 to get in and you are there for 9-10 hours a day depending on what is going on. There is a big difference.
0 x

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”