2022 Aerospace Valley Airshow

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
EricP

Post by EricP » Tue May 17, 2022 10:18 am

Strega wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:43 am Is it just me, or is it very quiet around this show?
I wouldn't be concerned at this point since the show does not happen until October. Most of the "news" coming out about shows are ones occurring over in the somewhat near future (May-July).
0 x
Eric P.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun May 29, 2022 1:18 am

Strega wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:43 am Is it just me, or is it very quiet around this show?
Typically, during the Summer, most fall hosts announce major updates to their event during this timeframe, for Edwards I would not be concern, Santa Maria may look all cool, and Edwards slacking to achieve a higher rating line up as it lived up to the past, if you think the amount of space, and duration Santa Maria is only identical to Chino's event, Edwards is like 10x larger than that. In the past Edwards has had many rare appearances plus its own based test wing including the entire air force arsenal performing at that event, all due to being ED (Edwards tail code for the aircraft) based and the Air Force's offical test site. Most likely the ED based B-1, B-52, & B-2 will likely do flybys this year. ED-based Raptors have also done flybys back in the 2009 Open House. Santa Maria is cool, but doubt they'll have anything air force-wise other than an F-35 and F-15, again Edwards has like almost of all it and the Raptor Demo Team/Warthog Demo Team have not been booked yet for that weekend. Oh I wouldn't forget the ED Vipers going supersonic at the event.
Last edited by Nick on Sun May 29, 2022 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

boff180

Post by boff180 » Mon May 30, 2022 5:34 am

I’ve decided to hedge my bets and will go to both shows. I’m sure there will be specials at Edwards but right now it’s radio silence whereas the self confirmations for Santa Maria are really strong.
Last edited by boff180 on Mon May 30, 2022 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon May 30, 2022 7:55 am

boff180 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:34 am I’ve decided to hedge my bets and will go to both shows. I’m sure there will be specials at Edwards but right now it’s radio silence whereas the self confirmations for Santa Maria are really strong.
My thoughts exactly, I plan to go to Edwards with Ryan and co and this is what I suggested a few days back. It's certainly what I would do if left to my own devices.

The feeling was Edwards would probably be too good to miss, despite the lack of comms now, but we may do Santa's Maria on Friday practice day and hope to get pretty much a full show then. The potential for test school assets at Edwards is all well and good, but Santa Maria's line up is currently interesting enough that I'd consider visiting even if Edwards wasn't 3hrs down the road.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue May 31, 2022 12:54 am

Adam wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:55 am
boff180 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:34 am I’ve decided to hedge my bets and will go to both shows. I’m sure there will be specials at Edwards but right now it’s radio silence whereas the self confirmations for Santa Maria are really strong.
My thoughts exactly, I plan to go to Edwards with Ryan and co and this is what I suggested a few days back. It's certainly what I would do if left to my own devices.

The feeling was Edwards would probably be too good to miss, despite the lack of comms now, but we may do Santa's Maria on Friday practice day and hope to get pretty much a full show then. The potential for test school assets at Edwards is all well and good, but Santa Maria's line up is currently interesting enough that I'd consider visiting even if Edwards wasn't 3hrs down the road.
Yeah going to both sounds like two birds one stone, but a lot of driving whereas Edwards is far east of Santa Maria just North of Barstow, and Santa Maria southern tip of Central California and far west of Edwards located between 10-15 miles east from the pacific shoreline, I'm sure the Santa Maria commas will eventually pipe down on performers, they only fit so much into the event, plus don't forget statics, vendors, and sponsors, epically equipment aside from just performers, oh and the flight line. Edwards on the other hand, one of largest air bases on the planet, the flightline is 5x bigger than Santa Maria, and specials are predictable to fly, including a more variety of statics and some other fun special stuff, I would place my bets some form of strong announcements "could be" coming out next month. The naval teams that are open are the F-35C and EA-18G still, and air combat command's F-22 and A-10 can still be booked. Santa Maria in my opinion can probably fit in a few more performers and statics, but be fully booked, Edwards still has a wide open schedule, but since comms are lying low, there's not alot to know... yet.
Last edited by Nick on Tue May 31, 2022 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

boff180

Post by boff180 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:47 am

I don't mind the drive, it's the end of a fortnight of a spotting roadtrip anyway :lol:
0 x

Mousekey

Post by Mousekey » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:26 am

Any idea of good locations outside Santa Maria for the Friday?
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:05 am

Mousekey wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:26 am

Any idea of good locations outside Santa Maria for the Friday?
Experiment with google maps or try to get a "Media Pass" if board members/event coordinators offer that, try to move this topic down to the Santa Maria forum, this is the Edwards/Aerospace Valley forum, I know there's not a lot to know about ED right now, comms are low, but that's typical Air Force public affairs. Until then, this forum can just be dead, its cool and all ED and SM occur at the same time, but at least try not to mix Central Coast overtaking this topic (Edwards), just don't want see stuff that has nothing to do with Edwards in this thread lol.
Last edited by Nick on Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:30 am

Website finally has been updated!

Performers:

The United States Air Force Thunderbirds
USAF Wings of Blue Parachute Team
AMC C-17 Globemaster III Demo Team
“Race To Mach 1” Demo
Edwards F-22 Raptor
Edwards F-35 Lightning II
Edwards F-16 Viper
Edwards T-38 Talon
Edwards C-12 Huron
Edwards B-52 Stratofortress
Edwards B-1 Lancer
Edwards KC-46 Pegasus
Edwards KC-135 Stratotanker
Edwards RQ-4 Global Hawk
Various NASA Aircraft

Statics:

Edwards F-22 Raptor
Edwards F-35 Lightning II
Edwards F-16 Viper
Edwards T-38 Talon
Edwards C-12 Huron
Edwards B-52 Stratofortress
Edwards B-1 Lancer
Edwards KC-46 Pegasus
Edwards KC-135 Stratotanker
Edwards C-17 Globemasterer
C-5M Super Galaxy
NASA F-15 Eagle
X-62 Vista
Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:20 am

I am guessing 3 hours of flying plus the Tbirds? Says flying at noon and gates close at 5. That's assuming an hour for gates after Tbirds. An hour for tbirds. That sound about right to those who have been to this show?
0 x

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”