Chicago Air & Water Show 2022

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:42 pm

Additional Performers
- USAF C-17 Globemaster III Demo/Flybys
- USAF A-10 Thunderbolt II Flybys
- USAF KC-135 Stratotanker Flybys
- USCG Search and Rescue (SAR) Demo
- US Navy Legacy Flight
- Susan Dacy [Super Stearman]
- Bill Stein [Edge 540]
- Kevin Coleman [Extra 300SHP]
- Triple Time Team
- Chicago Fire Department Air/Sea Rescue Demo
- Chicago Police Department Helicopter Flybys
The City of Chicago and Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) proudly present the 2022 Chicago Air and Water Show, August 20 and 21 along the lakefront from Fullerton to Oak Street, with North Avenue Beach serving as show center from 10am to 2pm daily. Established in 1959 and one of the largest free admission events of its kind, headliners of the 2022 show include the U.S. Navy Blue Angels and the U.S. Army Parachute Team Golden Knights, who are dedicating their performances to the memory of Rudy Malnati Jr.
The U.S. Navy Blue Angels have been astounding audiences since 1946 with their gravity-defying flying, commanding presence and precision maneuvers now performed in their brand-new F/A–18E Super Hornets. The brave men and women of the U.S. Army Parachute Team Golden Knights will inspire spectators as they jump out of an aircraft 12,000 feet above the earth’s surface to a perfect target landing on North Avenue Beach.
The popular lakefront event features a wide variety of military and civilian performers and aerial demonstration teams with world-class pilots performing their aerobatic maneuvers along Chicago’s lakefront. Featured military performers for the 2022 event include: USN F-35C Lightening II, USAF F-22 Raptor, USAF C-17 Globemaster III, ANG A-10 Thunderbolt II (“Warthog”), ANG KC-135 Stratotanker, USMC V-22 Osprey Tiltrotor and USCG Search and Rescue Helicopter demonstration.
For the first time, the U.S. Air Force Heritage Flight and U.S. Navy Legacy Flights will be presented in the same Air and Water Show; a rare event for any air show. The U.S. Navy has provided an additional F-35C Legacy II to its Legacy Flight to incorporate a "Missing Man" dedication to Rudy Malnati Jr.
Show announcer Herb Hunter, the “Voice of the Air and Water Show” for more than 35 years returns to narrate and guide the spectators through each performer's aerial choreography.
Civilian performers at the 2022 show include Susan Dacy, Bill Stein, Kevin Coleman, Rob Holland, Triple Time Team, The Chicago Fire Department Air/Sea Rescue, and the Chicago Police Department helicopter.
“After the absence of the show in 2020 and a scaled down version in 2021, this summer we are honored to be able to bring back in full force Chicago’s storied tradition - the Air and Water Show. Celebrating more than 60 years, the free event showcases incredible feats from world-class military and civilian teams over an exhilarating two days,” shares DCASE Commissioner Erin Harkey.
The Chicago Air and Water Show is presented by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events. The Chicago Air & Water Show is supported by The Boeing Company, WBBM Newsradio, Chicago Transit Authority, E & J Gallo Winery, Goose Island Beer Company and Millennium Garages.
Audio description will be available for those who are blind/low vision both days of the event; register at this link: shorturl.at/hBJPV.
For more information, visit chicagoairandwatershow.us.
Join the conversation on Facebook (Chicago Air and Water Show) and follow us on Twitter and Instagram @ChicagoDCASE (#ChiAirandWater).
https://www.facebook.com/events/7296607 ... f=newsfeed
0 x

IDF783

Post by IDF783 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:54 pm

Quite a line up shall I say...
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:48 am

Sounds like there will be a four-ship Legacy Flight with two F-35Cs, FG-1D and A-4B, plus a missing man with those aircraft.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/d ... show7.html

I will probably be attending this one since I likely won't be getting any military action this year other than Oshkosh. I don't generally like non-airport airshows, but this was one has been a good experience in the past. Anyone know what Triple Time Team is? I'm assuming it's an act involving Bill Stein, Rob Holland and Kevin Coleman, but I've never heard of it before and I can't find reference to it anywhere else.
0 x
Matt

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:50 am

kalamazookid wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:48 am Sounds like there will be a four-ship Legacy Flight with two F-35Cs, FG-1D and A-4B, plus a missing man with those aircraft.

I will probably be attending this one since I likely won't be getting any military action this year other than Oshkosh. I don't generally like non-airport airshows, but this was one has been a good experience in the past. Anyone know what Triple Time Team is? I'm assuming it's an act involving Bill Stein, Rob Holland and Kevin Coleman, but I've never heard of it before and I can't find reference to it anywhere else.
I was wondering the same thing about Triple Time Team.
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:50 am

Also looks like the C-17 was removed.
0 x
Matt

Waka Photography

Post by Waka Photography » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:05 am

n33d4sp33d_85 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:50 am
kalamazookid wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:48 am Sounds like there will be a four-ship Legacy Flight with two F-35Cs, FG-1D and A-4B, plus a missing man with those aircraft.

I was wondering the same thing about Triple Time Team.
That'd be epic! I know Kevin has performed formation aerobatics with Bill several times recently and with Rob before (Barksdale 2017). Would love to see something similar to the 4CE Team. (Jack Knutson's old 300S lives at my local airport now).

Stay safe,
Josh Walker
Waka Photography
0 x

IDF783

Post by IDF783 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:39 pm

It mentions on the Chicago.gov website that the "The Illinois National Guard 183rd Security Forces" will be there. Interesting how they will perform.
Last edited by IDF783 on Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:35 pm

Not sure about the Security Forces. Seems like there are usually a few helicopters in Lincoln Park near LaSalle Drive. Maybe that's what the website is referring to?

I'm planning to head up whichever day the weather forecast looks better.
0 x
Matt

IDF783

Post by IDF783 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:58 pm

There is a beachhead right there on North Ave beach across from the boathouse so maybe some simulation there, but most of the crowd won't see it unless there's an air component. The Golden Knights land there also.

Weather now looks fair to decent with very small chances of showers both airshow days with no rain chances on Fri practice.
Last edited by IDF783 on Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

bigt512

Post by bigt512 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:17 pm

If anyone is interested Gary airport is charging $20 a car load to watch the planes take off and land. They say that they will have food trucks and bathrooms.
1 x

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”