Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) 2022

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
mstares

Post by mstares » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:47 pm

I don't think I have seen the Hungarian Gripen demo since RIAT 2013.... Its demo included an awesome dump and burn.... Really hoping that it is still allowed and still part of the demo!
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:16 pm

mstares wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:47 pm I don't think I have seen the Hungarian Gripen demo since RIAT 2013.... Its demo included an awesome dump and burn.... Really hoping that it is still allowed and still part of the demo!
They were certainly still doing it as of 2019.

This show's shaping up so well. Great variety and some real rarities too.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

DeanW

Post by DeanW » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:25 pm

Adam wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:16 pm This show's shaping up so well. Great variety and some real rarities too.
My thoughts too. Yet there are still plenty of comments on various UK forums describing the updates as ‘bland’ and ‘meh’ because these rare additions aren’t fast jets. It’s frustrating to see such a poor sense of perspective considering we’ve had two years without a show and the Ukrainian conflict is still raging on.
1 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:40 pm

DeanW wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:25 pm
Adam wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:16 pm This show's shaping up so well. Great variety and some real rarities too.
My thoughts too. Yet there are still plenty of comments on various UK forums describing the updates as ‘bland’ and ‘meh’ because these rare additions aren’t fast jets. It’s frustrating to see such a poor sense of perspective considering we’ve had two years without a show and the Ukrainian conflict is still raging on.
I can understand some people saying that it's a bit helicopter heavy. But when all those helicopters are as rare as hen's teeth, who cares?

Also - and I find this equally impressive in the current situation - the quantity is there, as well as the quality. By my reckoning there's somewhere in the region of 5.5hrs of flying displays already confirmed. More, if you set aside another 30 minutes for the year's worst-kept secret. That's only 1.5hrs left to fill, and we've still got 10 updates to go, including allocations from the French, Polish and Italian AFs.
Last edited by Adam on Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:41 am

I don't understand some of the comments, particularly in the context of three years without an Air Tattoo and continued loss of military airshows in the UK. Also, in thirty years of attending IAT, BoB50 Airshow, ATI and RIAT its never just been about fast jets or the flying display. For me anyway, IAT/RIAT has always stood out because of the scale of the event and the show attracting things just that bit more unusual compared to other 'airshows'.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon May 02, 2022 7:49 pm

Self-confirmation by the RAF Chinook Display Team.
https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2022/05/ai ... dule-2022/
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu May 05, 2022 10:39 am

The German Air Force have confirmed their participation at RIAT 2022, bringing the total number of aircraft from the German miliary committed to RIAT 2022 up to 11 aircraft, which includes fighters, transport aircraft and helicopters! We're particularly pleased to be welcoming their CH-53G helicopter back to RAF Fairford, which we haven't seen for over a decade.

Following our continued discussions with the Romanian Air Force, we're pleased to announce they plan to send one of their Antonov An-30 to RIAT. The reconnaissance aircraft, known by it's NATO reporting name of 'Clank', will likely be one of the highlights of the static displays for aviation enthusiasts in July.

As part of our focus on the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, we will be welcoming a pair of helicopters types for static display with royal connections. Firstly a Wessex, as used by the Queen's Flight during the 1970s and 1980s, and secondly a Sea King as flown by the Duke of Cambridge.

We continue our engagement with a number of other Air Arms regarding possible attendance at RIAT 2022, with a healthy mix of aircraft for both flying and static displays still in discussion.
German Air Force
Airbus A340 (S) FBS BMVg
Airbus DS A400M (S) Lufttransportgeschwader 62
Eurofighter EF2000/T (S) Taktisches Luftwaffengeschwader 73
Panavia Tornado IDS x 2 (S) Taktisches Luftwaffengeschwader 51
Airbus Helicopters H145M LUH SOF (S) Hubschraubergeschwader 64
Sikorsky CH-53G (S) Hubschraubergeschwader 64

Romanian Air Force
Antonov An-30 Clank (S) Escadrila 902

Civilian
Westland Sea King HAR3 (S) Historic Helicopters
Westland Wessex HU5 (S) Historic Helicopters
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Thu May 05, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu May 12, 2022 10:43 am

First up this week we're very excited to announce the UK debut display from one of the new tactical displays from France! As part of our training theme, we're pleased to be welcoming the "Mustang X-Ray Demo Team" to RIAT, flying a pair of Pilatus PC-21 advanced turboprop trainers.

We were pleased to hear from the Royal Air Force of Oman that they will return to RIAT, and this year with a new aircraft type. We'll be welcoming one of their Persuader maritime patrol aircraft, based on the popular CASA 295, for static display in July.

We continue to work with the Royal Air Force to confirm additional participation at RIAT 2022 and this week we can confirm the addition of nine airframes to the static aircraft displays. We now have all aircraft types operated by 22 Group on static display at RIAT 2022 as part of our Training Theme, some of which will be exhibited in the Ascent Showcase, others located near the RAF Experience.

Finally for this week, an iconic American warbird joins our growing USAF 75th Anniversary static displays, with P-51D Musang "Frances Dell" flying over from Germany for RIAT 2022. In addition, we continue to work with our friends in the United States Air Force and hope to be able to announce the participation of the modern USAF assets we're expecting join the static displays soon...
Royal Air Force
BAE Systems Hawk T2 x 2 (S) 25 Squadron
Beechcraft Texan T1 (S) 72(R) Squadron
Embraer Phenom T1 (S) 45(R) Squadron
Grob Prefect T1 x 2 (S) 57(R) Squadron
Grob Tutor T1 x 2 (S) Oxford UAS
Grob Viking TX1 (S) Central Gliding School

French Air and Space Force
Mustang X-Ray Tactical Demo – Pilatus PC-21 x 2 (F)

Royal Air Force of Oman
CASA CN-295MP Persuader (S) 2 Squadron

Warbirds
North American P-51D Mustang (S) Frances Dell/Flying Legends GmbH
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Thu May 12, 2022 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu May 12, 2022 10:54 am

RIAT website lists today's static contributions as including a pair of Hawk T.1s from 25 Sqn RAF. I thought they only flew T.2s?
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”