Sky Drive 2022 (presented by Airshow London)

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
mstares

Post by mstares » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:23 am

Great shots Dan.

Has been a great weekend... Thoroughly enjoyed the show, just fantastic. Kudos to the organizers and volunteers, basically flawless execution to my untrained eye.

A few more shots.
DSC_4700_00001_01.jpg
DSC_4700_00001_01.jpg (108.12 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
DSC_3538_00001.jpg
DSC_3538_00001.jpg (63.15 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
DSC_3345_00001.jpg
DSC_3345_00001.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
DSC_5002_00001-001.jpg
DSC_5002_00001-001.jpg (66.52 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
DSC_3977_00001.jpg
DSC_3977_00001.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
5 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:52 am

Thanks Mark! Great shots for you as well.

Glad you were able to finally come back after the Pandemic!
1 x
Dan Gagnon

Faust

Post by Faust » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:03 pm

Great show as always!

Got there in good time on Saturday, got a front row spot.

Lots of great static and flying action. Having a legit RC-135 (not just the trainer) was awesome, too.

Despite the awesomeness of the Raptor and the Thunderbirds, I agree that the winner on Saturday were the F-15s. Those guys just hate to land, and the love to use the loud handle, which makes for a great show. I think they're pretty determined to let people know that, even with the Raptor around, the Mighty Eagle can still rule the roost! Great job and huge kudos to those guys!

The only confusing thing was parking. We were going along the front row of the red zone and were going to turn in about show centre, where there were already numerous other cars parked, but we got waved down to the far (north) end. Why? How come some people parked there before filling up the end slots?

Regardless, it was a good thing; we were right under the Thunderbird solo when he came blasting across, giving everyone a good ol' afterburner in the face and punch in the gut!

Thanks to all the hard work that everyone put in. Already waiting for the email announcing tickets for next year's show!
1 x

mstares

Post by mstares » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:27 pm

At Pearson now waiting for my flight home.

This year four of us, either originally or currently from the YYT area, flew in to YYZ (or YXU) to share a single photo experience pass. The pandemic had kept us away for a few years, and we had not experienced the new Skydrive format.

Honestly I was rather skeptical as to how it would all go. We all agreed that the 2016-2019 London format worked and resulted in fantastic air show experiences (There was a reason we kept coming back) but we were not sure what to expect.

I am tempted to put together some more considered thoughts, but for now I will be brief-ish (my earlier comments may give some idea of where I land on the appraisal of this year's show.).

Given my geographic restrictions many on these boards have attended far more shows than I have. So I don't have a huge depth of experience but have now attended a number of well regarded shows in the US and Europe - I have managed to see a thing or two.

I say that solely as context for the following: On reflection, I would stack the 5 days I spent taking in arrivals, practice, show days, and departures at ASL 2022 alongside any other air show experience I have had.

Is it perfect? No (May address any caveats later). As I have alluded to in previous years however there is a mix of factors which make ASL unique. Cost, location, ease of access, friendly staff, camaraderie amongst the photogs, LIGHT, timing, relaxed pace, pro-enthusiast, and (really stand to be corrected here) an unmatched mix of 'official' demos and ad hoc (need a better term than that) 'demos' or flypasts from far flung, very enthusiastic units (I could watch fast movers beat up the field for days.).

The Skydrive format simplifies the process. Now with the re-introduction of static the only real loss I felt was a diminishing of much of the interaction with other photographers due to the format. The photo pass cost is admittedly expensive but given that it applies to the car, the burden can be split.

Am I saying that ASL is the equivalent of RIAT or Aviation Nation etc? No. The grin that Skydrive left me with however was certainly equivalent!

Solely my thoughts. Your mileage may vary (as may those you share your pass with!). I will be back for 2023.
1 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:35 am

mstares wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:27 pm The Skydrive format simplifies the process. Now with the re-introduction of static the only real loss I felt was a diminishing of much of the interaction with other photographers due to the format. The photo pass cost is admittedly expensive but given that it applies to the car, the burden can be split.
I was waiting for comments on exactly this. I have found the most enjoyable part of being at any show is the people you are with, and the photo pit at ASL and TOM and other places is a very communal space with a lot of regulars. Honestly, a huge reason why I didn't attend this year is because last year I was forced to sit in the 'media penalty box' well away from any of the people I could chat with and it made for a miserable weekend.

When I heard that the photo 'pit' was going to be all drive-in also I was very surprised and curious how the regulars would tolerate being split apart, not getting a front row spot, etc. Did some of the regular friend groups go in on a space to reduce the cost and stay together? How were the photos from further back? Also important to me - was the music loud or nonexistent like last year?
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

mstares

Post by mstares » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 pm

Hey Ryan,

Yeah, I have thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with other photogs at ASL in years past. Have net some great folks , a few of which have turned out to be regulars who are great to catch up with each year.

This year our interaction was primarily limited to the cars on either side of us each day and the staff. I did catch up with a few acquaintances but I expect I missed out on a lot - The pit foot print is much much larger than in the before times. You simply are not running in to nearly as many people.

I expect this new format is here to stay. We must try and adapt. Curiously the three guys who travelled with me I met either directly or indirectly from the online spotting community .. so there is a thought. 'We' could, or the photo pit team could organize / encourage on site or off site meets or gatherings to bridge the gap. Happens at various other shows. I am a certainly big fan of post show pub gatherings.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:32 pm

mstares wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 pm Hey Ryan,

Yeah, I have thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with other photogs at ASL in years past. Have net some great folks , a few of which have turned out to be regulars who are great to catch up with each year.

This year our interaction was primarily limited to the cars on either side of us each day and the staff. I did catch up with a few acquaintances but I expect I missed out on a lot - The pit foot print is much much larger than in the before times. You simply are not running in to nearly as many people.

I expect this new format is here to stay. We must try and adapt. Curiously the three guys who travelled with me I met either directly or indirectly from the online spotting community .. so there is a thought. 'We' could, or the photo pit team could organize / encourage on site or off site meets or gatherings to bridge the gap. Happens at various other shows. I am a certainly big fan of post show pub gatherings.
The new format is indeed here to stay.
The Airshow London drive-in format is here to stay, organizers said Sunday as they capped off the three-day event’s biggest showing ever.
https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/as- ... 4fc7f/amp/
0 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:26 pm

Awesome news!

So glad the drive-in is here to stay!

My dad is very mobility challenged, but we've been coming to the airshow since he first took me when I was 4, and that was in 1981! It's a tradition, and having the Skydrive format makes it possible for him to enjoy the show with not only me, but his grandson as well, so the tradition continues!

Love the static option, too. Best of all worlds.

Absolutely no loss not to have the 'old way' return.

Bravo to ASL for a.) coming up with the idea and b.) listening to fans to keep it going!

Totally fantastic news!
0 x

FlyRed

Post by FlyRed » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:24 pm

Earlier this week, Checksix launched the first Issue of our new Journal which contains a 14-page review about Canada's Top Event!

For more information about our Journal please visit https://www.checksix.de/. While the Journal Issues will come with a subscription, there are other reviews of airshows, exercises and museums available online for free. Enjoy!
Attachments
Checksix - Issue I - Cover.jpg
Checksix - Issue I - Cover.jpg (162.42 KiB) Viewed 6774 times
1 x

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”