Info on US Navy Demos in 2022

Find out where your favorite performers will be! Be sure to check schedules for updates as they are always subject to change. Also post year-related performer information, such as music lists.
RyanS

Info on US Navy Demos in 2022

Post by RyanS » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:47 am

Got some info from the US Navy forum at the ICAS convention today regarding Navy demos in 2022:
The Navy has approved 42 single aircraft demos (that counts TACDEMO and Legacy Flights) along with a full schedule for the Blue Angels and Leap Frogs

No limits on Navy static displays. Other aerial support is case by case.

VAQ-129 (Growlers) will be allowed to fly a two-ship non-aerobatic demo as well as Legacy Flights. The F-35C will only perform a small non-aerobatic demo and Legacy Flights.

Super Hornets cannot perform at Blue Angel shows due to being the same aircraft type. The F-35 and Growlers can perform at same shows as the Blues.

The Navy plans to start announcing demo schedules at ICAS a year from now.
My thoughts:

The F-35C was performing full aerobatic demos for the last couple years, so dropping to a non-aerobatic mini-demo is a big cut back in my eyes. I am VERY surprised by this, and disappointed.

Glad to see the Growlers continuing the AWESOME two-ship demo. I would rather watch them than the regular Super Hornet demo! Adding a Legacy Flight is even better.

I'm disappointed that the T-6s and T-45s are not returning to the Legacy Flight program. Not that I expected them to, but it was cool to see those aircraft in the air instead of just sitting static.

Hopefully the schedules aren't a total disaster this year :)
2 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:25 am

Video of the two-ship Growler demo for anyone who hasn't seen it

2 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:18 am

Love the Growlers. They put on a great, high speed show. We also saw the E-2C Hawkeye demo a few weeks ago at Stuart. That was a really cool demo, too. Their practice run on Friday afternoon was the best. They didn't seem to to slow down at all. It'd be nice to see the Growlers & E-2C in 2022.
1 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:23 am

Ken91 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:18 am Love the Growlers. They put on a great, high speed show. We also saw the E-2C Hawkeye demo a few weeks ago at Stuart. That was a really cool demo, too. Their practice run on Friday afternoon was the best. They didn't seem to to slow down at all. It'd be nice to see the Growlers & E-2C in 2022.
Good point! Didn't hear anything about the Hawkeye but after London I was told they wanted to get it out to shows semi-regularly in the coming years. Perhaps it will just kind of do its own thing like it did this year. The Navy has never been good at being consistent :)
Last edited by RyanS on Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:39 am

This sounds pretty reasonable to me. I keep hoping for more from the Navy, but that probably isn't realistic due to operational needs. It's a shame, but it is what it is. The two-ship Growler non-aerobatic demo, Super Hornet demo and non-aerobatic F-35C demo are a decent mix. I also wish they'd have kept the T-6 and T-45 as part of the Legacy program, which I thought was a nice option for Navy representation at smaller airport shows.

At least they're more reliable than the Marines, who will likely release four Harrier dates – two of which will be wrong and one will be a show that has already been canceled. :roll:
2 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:48 am

kalamazookid wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:39 am At least they're more reliable than the Marines, who will likely release four Harrier dates – two of which will be wrong and one will be a show that has already been canceled. :roll:
lmao this is true. I often wonder why I bother posting about the Marines at all, they are just gonna make it up a they go
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:35 am

All in all, good to hear. Minus the lack of a F-35C Demo Team.

Would be nice if the USN would share their single-ship schedules at ICAS please. Some of us are really big fans of the Growler & Rhino teams.

Oh and as somebody who lives one county over from NAS Whidbey Island, home plate for the EA-18Gs... thanks for the kind words about the Growlers!
0 x

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:23 am

AvgeekJoe wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:35 am All in all, good to hear. Minus the lack of a F-35C Demo Team.

Would be nice if the USN would share their single-ship schedules at ICAS please. Some of us are really big fans of the Growler & Rhino teams.

Oh and as somebody who lives one county over from NAS Whidbey Island, home plate for the EA-18Gs... thanks for the kind words about the Growlers!
Per the forum today, they moved the application deadline to July 1st. This matches all of the other demos and it was stated from NAVCO that the whole reason was to announce with everyone else next year.
1 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

RFDGuy

Post by RFDGuy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:00 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:39 am
At least they're more reliable than the Marines, who will likely release four Harrier dates – two of which will be wrong and one will be a show that has already been canceled. :roll:
LOL its funny because its true. :lol:
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:33 pm

Check out the Navy Legacy Flight Foundation's new website.
https://www.navylegacyflight.org/

Also here's the schedule for the rest of their 2022 season.
https://www.navylegacyflight.org/schedule.html
0 x