Super Bowl LV Flyover

Threads about the world of aviation outside of airshows. General aviation, airlines, spotting, etc.
awal2049

Super Bowl LV Flyover

Post by awal2049 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:31 pm

ICAS has revealed that the Super Bowl flyover this year will feature a trio of Bombers: A B-1B Lancer from Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota, a B-2A Spirit from Whiteman AFB, Missouri, and a B-52 Stratofortress From Minot AFB, ND. The flyover will take place at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers stadium on Sunday, February 7.
A FLYOVER TRIFECTA

In a U.S. Air Force first, three Air Force Global Strike Command bombers will join up over Super Bowl 55 in Tampa, Florida on February 7th during the National Anthem performance.

Included assets:
B-1B from Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota
B-2 from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri
B-52 from Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota
1 x

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:40 pm

This article confirms that the B-2 will lead the formation.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/air-force-ca ... r-bowl.amp

Also, B-1 + B-2 + B-52 = SB55 :D
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:13 am

I've posted here a few times that I play a lot of flight sim with some friends, and we decided to stage a virtual version of the flyover using the new MSFS and some custom aircraft. Of course, they announced the B-2 would be leading the day after we recorded this... :D

0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:01 am

Check out this video of the B-1 getting refuled by a MacDill KC-135 on the way to Tampa. The B-52 is also in the video.

0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:07 am

You saw the video, now check out these incredible shots of tonight’s Super Bowl flyover!

Photos courtesy of Mike Killian Photography
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:10 am

Great shot of the anthem flyover at the Super Bowl in Tampa, FL.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:47 am

Things looked pretty dicey for the B-1 from some angles! Behind the others at the start, and then passing underneath the B-2 at the end!

A friend and I were debating why it looked a bit messy. He suggested that the B-1 had to fly faster than the other two, so it was a carefully coordinated overtake in exactly the right position (and if that was the plan, it worked, because for a split second it looked perfect from the stadium just before they were right overhead). But I find it hard to believe they couldn't fly at a speed acceptable to all three aircraft, so my theory was that the B-1 was lagging behind, tried to catch up before they reached the stadium, overdid it slightly and had to descend under the B-2 as a result.

Can anyone shed any light?
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 pm

Adam wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:47 am Things looked pretty dicey for the B-1 from some angles! Behind the others at the start, and then passing underneath the B-2 at the end!

A friend and I were debating why it looked a bit messy. He suggested that the B-1 had to fly faster than the other two, so it was a carefully coordinated overtake in exactly the right position (and if that was the plan, it worked, because for a split second it looked perfect from the stadium just before they were right overhead). But I find it hard to believe they couldn't fly at a speed acceptable to all three aircraft, so my theory was that the B-1 was lagging behind, tried to catch up before they reached the stadium, overdid it slightly and had to descend under the B-2 as a result.

Can anyone shed any light?
Totally agree, it looked really nice over the stadium but once I saw a camera angle of them after that I was really stunning at how close the B-1 came to the B-2. They were at about 50% wing overlap at one point!

I'm sure they didn't plan on an overtake when they could easily find a speed to work for all three. I was originally thinking the B-2 may have slowed down on the run in for timing and the B-1 just ran up on them, but after seeing how far behind they were on the run in, I'm guessing that the B-1 just gave it a big bump of throttle to 'rush' in and carried a little too forward. These aren't fighters after all, and momentum can be a bitch!

Even aside from that, I can't believe how tight they were. The timing was fantastic too!

Here's a video I made with different angles of the flyover, rehearsal flyover, and some bonus footage of aerial refueling

1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com