Glenview Naval Air Station Videos

Threads about the world of aviation outside of airshows. General aviation, airlines, spotting, etc.
ctborresen10

Glenview Naval Air Station Videos

Post by ctborresen10 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:37 pm

This thread is dedicated to Glenview Naval Air Station which closed in 1995. I spent most of my childhood at the end of Glenview's runways while my Dad filmed filmed all the flying action on VHS. I have been converting all the VHS media to digital and thought it would be fun to share. Those in the Chicago area in the late 80's early 90's probably remember Glenview. Thought I'd start this thread to share videos of Glenview NAS and please feel free to add any video or photo media of Glenview to share. Enjoy!

Below is from my YouTube Channel "At The Fence 111" and is a very low takeoff of the ERA-3B Skywarrior that visited for the Glenview Open House in Sept 1991.

Last edited by ctborresen10 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:27 pm

Glenview NAS Chicago Air Show & Open House July 1992 had a great military lineup for static and performers. The Chicago Air Show performers staged out GNAS. The F-117 from Holloman AFB and the F-15C demo team from Langley put on a great show when they returned doing multiple low approaches. The Blue Angels and the Frecce Tricolore put on a fun return show. We also had an F-14A+ VF-213 Black Lions Tomcat, AV-8B harries, T-2 Buckeys, C-141's, KC-10 and F-18C Hornets.

1 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:19 am

In 1994 the Blue Angels once again used Glenview NAS to base out of for the Chicago Air & Water Show. Below are some highlights of Blue Angel #7 taking people on press flights. Was awesome to see in person!

0 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:16 pm

With all the fun talk about the F-117's in Fresno I got jealous and made a highlight of when the F-117 staged out of GNAS in 92 for the Chicago Air & Water Show. The pilot made multiple passes every time he took off and came back to land from performing in Chicago. Was fun to see up close for the first time!

0 x

Blazer1

Post by Blazer1 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:27 pm

I remember the Skywarrior vividly....It was a WOW moment. I was on the west side---still trying to find my pix. In the mean time......
Attachments
T38.jpg
T38.jpg (189.06 KiB) Viewed 6823 times
2 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:43 am

@Blazer1 That's awesome! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing those pics!! I think I have video of that Navy T-38 as well. I'll try and find and post. These are all my Dad's video as I was only 9 yrs old in '91. I spent almost every weekend with my Dad on the hill or the west side (I remember there being two good spots off of Shermer Rd the best one being at the turnaround in the industrial area) from 88/89 till it closed in 1995. Great memories from GNAS! Please share if you have any more pics of GNAS this is open to pics or video. Would love to see what you have! I just started the thread as I wanted to share all the cool action that was associated with GNAS.
0 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:39 am

Other than the ERA-3B takeoff GNAS had many other great takeoffs as well. Per the description of the video, an aggressor pilot named "John" flew into GNAS on 3 separate occasions in the summer of 1990. He made some super low and memorable takeoffs in his TA-4J from VF-43 Challengers. On the first takeoff I was standing next to my Dad thinking is he going to hit a car? At the North end of the runway 35 was an overpass (Known locally at "The Hill") that gave great sight lines onto the base which was where most of the flying action was filmed including these 3 excellent takeoffs. Hope you all enjoy!

If anyone knows who "John" is of VF-43, I would love to know!!!

0 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:54 pm

Blazer1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:27 pm I remember the Skywarrior vividly....It was a WOW moment. I was on the west side---still trying to find my pix. In the mean time......
Great shot of that T-38A USNTPS!! Colors on the planes from the afternoon sun was always perfect on the West end!!

Here is the video I had of one of the T-38A's from USNTPS. However, looks as though not the same plane as your photograph shows #11 as my video shows #10. Loved those Navy T-38's from USNTPS and were rare to see in those parts.

Last edited by ctborresen10 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:35 am

During the summer of 1992 we had a special visitor at Glenview NAS. For the first time ever a B-52H decided to test the limits of the shorter 8,000' (and some change) runway. They used GNAS to stage out of for the DuPage Air Show just a hop skip and a jump from Glenview in the air. The B-52H was from K.I. Sawyer of the 410 BMW sporting the Eagle and rainbow stripes which was apparently rare and only used very shortly. Rock N Roll Baby!

0 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:26 am

This was a cool event for me. First off I was lucky enough to grow up as a kid around a military base, especially during a time of the glory days of military aviation (late 80's early 90's). I was able to witness some cool aircraft. Maybe not as cool as it would have been in the 80's, but none the less I was fortunate to see some interesting transitions. I rarely saw flights of 3 and it was extremely rare to see flights of 4. Maybe happened 2 times while I was at Glenview. But to see a flight of 6!! A flight of 6 that wasn't the Blue Angels of Thunderbirds. That was pretty cool. I wasn't as fortunate enough to live by Oceana or Miramar and see fleet squadrons return from the carriers with huge aircraft flyby's so this was as close as I ever got to something like that.

The VF-43 Challengers Naval Aggressor squadron came into visit Glenview NAS quite often which was always enjoyable. See previous video of Low VF-43 A-4. This particular video of VF-43 saw them coming into and leaving GNAS for the last time. They were retiring their TA-4J's and A-4F's and transitioning their F-16's and F-5's to other aggressor squadrons. Please note there are only A-4F's in this video.

Once again, per the video description... Sorry for the no sound on the takeoffs... I blame my Dad haha.

0 x