Nellis AFB Aviation Nation 2017

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
ABQMangoChallenger

Post by ABQMangoChallenger » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:00 am

Hey y'all. Just relocated to Albuquerque, NM and will be driving in for my first Aviation Nation in Nov. Quick question in regards to parking. Approximately what time do the parking lots open at the Speedway? I've seen anywhere from 0730 to 0800 in the past with buses starting around 0845. I'll be staying on the south end of the strip so just trying to plan my drive accordingly. I always get there well in advance to beat traffic etc. Thanks!
0 x

RFDGuy

Post by RFDGuy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Dan or Anthony may know, I know they've been here before.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:46 pm

I didn't use the Speedway parking, so I don't have first hand knowledge. I want to say parking opened at 8, but I'm not entirely certain.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this link, you will find the PAO's e-mail. I would shoot them an e-mail and ask. They are pretty responsive.

http://www.nellis.af.mil/Air-Space-Expo ... Expo-FAQs/
0 x
Dan Gagnon

airuarak

Post by airuarak » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 pm

I see a bit of a schedule is now in place... I see in a past review that they had Sabre v MiG re-enactment as part of a Korean War tribute, and also their Privateer etc as part of a WW2 tribute... would this be expected this year too?
0 x

KC_Aviation

Post by KC_Aviation » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:49 pm

I went last year, and will be returning this year. This will be my fourth trip out to Vegas for this show. As far as the speedway parking, get there earlier than 0800 in order to beat the big lines. I try for about 0730, and usually am on the first or second bus over. You will have to wait until they start running the buses, so there is some standing in line until that begins, but worth it. You can also get parking pretty close to the security check-ins. before you board the buses, this is where you get your bags checked, etc. Once you're on the bus, it's a quick ride across the street to get dropped off. Pay attention to which color lot you are parked in, as mentioned on here earlier, sometimes they forget to give you a wrist band with your color the parking lot is designated, and that can make for some anxiety not knowing where you parked. Last year, I personally did not get a wrist band, but I did ask the question as to what lot we came from, so I knew which bus to board at the end of the day. They do have signs on stands, and the buses usually have signs on them.
If you stay for the Thunderbirds, you will get stuck in the sea of people trying to leave at the same time. So I recommend either leaving when they start, or plan on waiting out the crowds after the Thunderbirds have been finished for a while. I've done both, one year it was cloudy, and with the time of the year it gets dark earlier of course, and it was pretty much dark by the time I got to the car, but did have some good static pictures. Hope this helps.

David
0 x

ABQMangoChallenger

Post by ABQMangoChallenger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Djack,

Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. Still planning on driving in from Albuquerque and you'll see my bright orange Challenger in the parking lot if I'm there as early as you. I'll probably stay for the Thunderbirds Saturday and bail early Sunday to beat the traffic, depending on weather. Thanks again for the details!

Jeff
0 x

Afterburner22

Post by Afterburner22 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:19 pm

F-35 Demo and PACAF C-17 demo has dropped off the Nellis website, wonder what that is about? Anyone have any info on the Super Hornet demo still flying? It's still on the ICAS website, but not the Nellis site.
Last edited by Afterburner22 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

alexp2805+

Post by alexp2805+ » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Afterburner22 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:19 pm F-35 Demo and PACAF C-17 demo has dropped off the Nellis website, wonder what that is about? Anyone have any info on the Super Hornet demo still flying? It's still on the ICAS website, but not the Nellis site.
I noticed that too. Wonder why they did that.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Afterburner22 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:19 pm F-35 Demo and PACAF C-17 demo has dropped off the Nellis website, wonder what that is about? Anyone have any info on the Super Hornet demo still flying? It's still on the ICAS website, but not the Nellis site.
The C-17 and Super Hornet were scheduled for LAST year's show. The 2017 Super Hornet schedule never listed Nellis on it's schedule. The C-17 could possibly be added later on, but that is purely speculation on my part.

Still looks like a solid line-up. Nice to see a B-2 flyby. I can also see the static list expanding as it gets closer to show time, it did last year, but it may not, so who knows lol
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Afterburner22

Post by Afterburner22 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:21 pm

I understand they were at last years show, I was there as well. My reference was from the ICAS site that has it listed for the 2017 show. While I understand schedules change, I was simply asking if anyone had any info. I was only asking because some bases don't update very well, Fairchild AFB for example never mentioned the Super Hornet on their site and they were there all weekend.
This is per the ICAS webpage
Aviation Nation Open House
November 11th - 13th
Nellis AFB, NV

Performers:
- U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds
- F-22 Raptor Demonstration Team
- U.S. Air Force Heritage Flight Foundation
- A-10 West Heritage Flight Team
- U.S. Air Force Parachute Team/Wings of Blue
- vicky benzing aerosports
- C-17 Demo/Air Mobility Command