Thunder Over Michigan 2017: The Wonderful World of Flight

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
FlyRed
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Thunder Over Michigan 2017: The Wonderful World of Flight

Post by FlyRed » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:43 pm

A400
Attachments
A400.jpeg
A400.jpeg (213.53 KiB) Viewed 5569 times
Last edited by FlyRed on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

FlyRed
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Post by FlyRed » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:45 pm

P40
Attachments
P40.jpeg
P40.jpeg (197.17 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
0 x

FlyRed
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Post by FlyRed » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:47 pm

C47 Line. This was Saturday morning. Not pictured is YAM's Yankee Doodle. Tico Belle showed up Saturday and was part of this line up for Sunday.
Attachments
C47Line.jpeg
C47Line.jpeg (326.57 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
0 x

User avatar
RyanS
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Contact:

Post by RyanS » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:54 am

Video of the "Heritage Flight"!

0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

awal2049
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:00 am
Location: Havelock, NC
Contact:

Post by awal2049 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:24 am

RyanS wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:54 am
Video of the "Heritage Flight"!
Great vid, Ryan. Do you have a video of the WWII Airborne Demonstration? I read that it set a world record for most paratrooper jumps at a single event.
0 x

User avatar
RyanS
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Contact:

Post by RyanS » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 am

awal2049 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:24 am
RyanS wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:54 am
Video of the "Heritage Flight"!
Great vid, Ryan. Do you have a video of the WWII Airborne Demonstration? I read that it set a world record for most paratrooper jumps at a single event.
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't, they canceled the jump on Monday (and I believe Sunday also) due to high winds. I got video of some C-47 flybys is all :(

Winds on Monday were in the 30-35 knots range and I heard a report of 66 knots at 3,000 feet. The Blues struggled through their show, and busted the showline numerous times. Most of their loops started extra far out and finished over the crowd itself - very interesting to see. Even the Burner 270 was almost over the fence! On the line abreast loop, every single wingman was out of position with smoke off on the way down.

Not ripping on the Blues, I actually think it is a testament to them that they were able to fly a full show in those conditions. It was definitely something different for experienced watchers.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:15 am
Location: West Lafayette, Ind.
Contact:

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Of the five airshows I've been to this year, TOM had the highest daily ticket price for the shortest flying program. Not much in the air this year. Perhaps some of that had to do with the wind, but from a ticket value standpoint, it was a very disappointing show. I doubt there was an hour and a half of actual flying before the Blues took to the air Sunday. Lots of down time with nothing in the air. Getting just a single pass from each C-47 was ... interesting ... for it being the "theme" aircraft. I was surprised that the show didn't even set up the typical double-carousel of warbirds flying during the battle. Even when the lineup has been a bit weaker in the past, that flight has always made up for it ... but nothing doing there this year.

There were still some highlights - seeing the P-40B was fantastic (even though it didn't fly the day I was there). The Heritage Flight was certainly unique, and the Skyraider and P-51C demos were both good pieces of flying. Overall though, the show left a lot to be desired.

Hopefully, next year will bring a more full flying program. I've been to TOM 13 times, and this was the only time I've ever left feeling like I didn't get close to what I paid for. Maybe it was just a "down" year.

Didn't take many pics, but here are a couple of my favorites.
Attachments
IMG_0033.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 5420 times
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 5420 times
IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 5420 times
IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5420 times
IMG_0101.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 5420 times
Last edited by kalamazookid on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Matt

kalamazookid
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:15 am
Location: West Lafayette, Ind.
Contact:

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:33 pm

Couple more.
Attachments
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5420 times
IMG_0179.jpg
IMG_0179.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 5420 times
0 x
Matt

Rhino93
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Post by Rhino93 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:24 pm

A few from Sunday. Hopefully next years show is back to what Thunder used to be!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Full album on Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8eWA6D
0 x
Ryan Orshinsky
Canadian Historical Aircraft Association
Windsor, Ontario

alexp2805+
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:54 pm
Location: Ypsilanti Michigan

Post by alexp2805+ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:13 pm

kalamazookid wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:32 pm
Of the five airshows I've been to this year, TOM had the highest daily ticket price for the shortest flying program. Not much in the air this year. Perhaps some of that had to do with the wind, but from a ticket value standpoint, it was a very disappointing show. I doubt there was an hour and a half of actual flying before the Blues took to the air Sunday. Lots of down time with nothing in the air. Getting just a single pass from each C-47 was ... interesting ... for it being the "theme" aircraft. I was surprised that the show didn't even set up the typical double-carousel of warbirds flying during the battle. Even when the lineup has been a bit weaker in the past, that flight has always made up for it ... but nothing doing there this year.

There were still some highlights - seeing the P-40B was fantastic (even though it didn't fly the day I was there). The Heritage Flight was certainly unique, and the Skyraider and P-51C demos were both good pieces of flying. Overall though, the show left a lot to be desired.

Hopefully, next year will bring a more full flying program. I've been to TOM 13 times, and this was the only time I've ever left feeling like I didn't get close to what I paid for. Maybe it was just a "down" year.

Didn't take many pics, but here are a couple of my favorites.
Yeah I thought the flying program was a little small but what did fly was very interesting. I think another reason the show lacked on flying was that the Cleveland AND Canadian International show was happening the same weekend. Next year it will just be Thunder and the Sound Of Speed show so I think the flying program will be bigger and better.
0 x

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests