Selfridge ANGB Air Show & Open House: Celebrating 100 Years of Selfridge

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:09 am

japper wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:17 am
RyanS wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:33 pm
japper wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:40 pm Hello, heading down this weekend, was wondering if there are any good spots to go watch practice/arrivals on Friday. Never been to this airshow before. Is the Walmart or Outlet mall parking lot any good?
Your best bet is the subdivision just south of the airfield, off of N River Rd if I remember correctly. Since it's a show day they may tolerate spotting more than usual. The rest of the airfield is pretty well shielded by trees but you might be able to hang out somewhere between the highway and base and see some of the action from 'in the box'. You won't see anything on the runway from there though.
Thanks. Going to the show Saturday, just want to find somewhere to park Friday & see some planes flying around. Other air shows I have managed to find locations where they fly right over you, which they rarely if ever do at the actual show.
Yep, I know exactly what you mean :) I've been all around Selfridge (though not in some years) and the subdivision at the south end is the only place to get a decent view as far as I'm concerned. It is directly at the end of the runway, the only problem is I have been chased away by cops in the past and the homeowners may not appreciate people hanging out. Like I said, it probably will be allowed during the practice day but it wouldn't hurt to have a backup plan either.

Let us know how it goes, whatever you do!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Unfortunately, the authentic Curtiss JN-4 Jenny that was supposed to perform next weekend was involved in a crash in Bowling Green, Kentucky today. Thankfully, Terry Richardson, the pilot, survived.

Still many great aircraft to appear, however. We wish Mr. Richardson a speedy recovery!
0 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

KC_Aviation

Post by KC_Aviation » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:07 pm

That's terrible news about the Jenny, glad to hear Mr. Richardson survived, hopefully he is going to be ok. Glad I got to see it earlier this year at Scott AFB.

I too have never been to Selfridge. I was wondering from those of you that have been there before, as for photography is it worth buying the box seats, or even the VIP seats? I don't want to spend the $$ and not use the accommodations. I was wondering if there are places to stand and take photos and not be in someone's way who paid $$ for their seats, maybe off to the side, out of the way...or should I just stay out of those areas and do the normal fins a spot at the fence line?

Also, to the locals, any recommendations of some local favorite spots to try some good local food? Thanks.

David
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:04 am

David,

I haven't been to a show at Selfridge since 2005, but when I last attended there was plenty of open seating along the fence for the general public. See map of the grounds here: http://teamselfridge.com/parking-map/

From that map, it appears that there will be general seating along the show line at the north and south ends, although the south end appears to be angled back a bit. If you arrive early enough, I'm sure you'll be able to get close enough to get a good view.

I'm hoping for seating on or close to the line at the south end. I don't take aerial photos, but hoping for some taxi shots if the wind direction allows the aircraft to taxi in front of the crowd after landing.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 am

I also haven't been to Selfridge in a while, but there was always a large general admission area, both wide and deep.

One tip for everyone is to get there EARLY. The base is kind of locked in by geography and traffic backs up very quickly. I always preferred to enter on the south edge of the base (N River Road) instead of the north, it seems like you could park closer and walk less. The show has a very large footprint on the ground so that was always nice.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Greg Koontz and the Alabama Boys have been added to the lineup!
0 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

KC_Aviation

Post by KC_Aviation » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 am

Well, I'm flying up to Michigan in the morning...very excited. Hopefully the weather cooperates Saturday. If you see someone wearing Kansas City Chiefs or Royals shirts or hats...that's most likely me, doubt many other fans of KC teams in Detroit.

I'm afraid to ask, but I haven't heard any updates on the F-4...I assume no news is good news and it's still going to make it up there?

David
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Just checked the ACC static and flyover schedule, and they list Selfridge as having 1 x A-10 and 1 x F-35 flyover.

http://www.acc.af.mil/Home/Aerial-Event ... er-events/

What I find interesting about this paticular flyover, is that Selfridge is making a pitch to be a future F-35 base and there is supposed to be a decision later this summer or in the fall, if Selfridge will be awarded the F-35. This would be a neat way of announcing it.

Just thinking outloud lol. Looking like a great show!
0 x
Dan Gagnon

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Heading out in an hour to go looking forward to it.
It is "interesting" they would have a flyover with the current A-10 and the possible future F-35
0 x

FlyRed

Post by FlyRed » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:44 am

No F-4?!?

(This is both a statement, as it wasn't there today and a question about whether it will be around this weekend)
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”