Wings Over Houston 2017

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
jcochr50

Wings Over Houston 2017

Post by jcochr50 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:50 pm

This potentially could be a very good show this year. The web site has not been updated yet for 2017 but the show is October 21-22 and the unofficial buzz is that a Vietnam era theme is in the works like in 2014, and hopefully the Collings Foundation jets (F-4D, F-100F, TA-4F, T-33) and others from the Vietnam War Flight Museum, etc. will be involved. Randy Ball's MiG-17F is scheduled for Houston that weekend.

Look forward to hearing updates as they become available.

https://wingsoverhouston.com/

Jim C.
0 x

jcochr50

Post by jcochr50 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Under 6 months to the show now, I hope they will post performer updates soon so that those of us sitting on the fence can decide whether or not to proceed with plans to go to this one or not.....
0 x

jcochr50

Post by jcochr50 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:29 am

With the announcement that the Collings Foundation F-4D Phantom will be flying at Wings Over Houston in October, the excitement about this show in 5 months will build.

Looking forward to more interesting announcements soon.
0 x

jcochr50

Post by jcochr50 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:17 am

The Performer's List has finally been updated!

https://wingsoverhouston.com/show-info/performers/

The Vietnam War Reenactment is scheduled to include the F-4, F-100, TA-4, MiG-17, A-1 Skyraider and MORE....

:D
0 x

jcochr50

Post by jcochr50 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:54 pm

With the F-4D now back in the air after almost 6 years, the performing lineup for Houston is looking very strong. The last big vintage jet show for WoH was 3 years ago in 2014, but with the F-4 back in this year's lineup the October 21-22 show may be the best one ever!

;)
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:24 am

Passing along some PR stuff that the show is sending out:
HOUSTON (October 3, 2017) – In only a few short weeks, the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds under the command of Sugar Land native Lt. Col. Jason Heard will return to Houston for the 33rd Annual Commemorative Air Force (CAF) Wings Over Houston Airshow. The airshow will be held Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 21-22, at Ellington Airport. Fans also are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items for donation to the Houston Food Bank as they continue to provide disaster relief to people affected by Hurricane Harvey. Tickets are available at www.wingsoverhouston.com or by calling 888-4-FLYSHOW. To purchase tickets for the 2017 CAF Wings Over Houston Airshow, please visit the airshow’s website, www.wingsoverhouston.com, or call 888-4-FLYSHOW. On airshow performance days, general admission tickets will be sold at the gate. Once inside the gates, fans are welcome to visit reserved areas and purchase upgraded seating, if any are available.

Produced by the Commemorative Air Force, the non-profit airshow will feature a dramatic Vietnam War Tribute demonstration by a F-4 Phantom II, F-100 Super Sabre, MiG-17, Huey Cobra, and other aircraft. A very special commemorative fly-by of a B-25 will recognize the 75th anniversary of the Doolittle Raid in World War II and honor the last living Raider, Lt. Col. Dick Cole, who just celebrated his 102nd birthday and will meet fans in the Legends and Heroes Autograph Tent. The show also will recognize the U.S. Coast Guard for their heroic rescues following Hurricane Harvey and include a demonstration of the Dolphin MH65D helicopter.

“Despite Hurricane Harvey and all of the challenges facing our area, our show will go on exactly as planned. We’ve been a Houston family tradition for 33 years, and in times like this, our show is a real boost for all us,” said Airshow Director Bill Roach. “The amazing U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds return under the direction of one of our own, native Lt. Col. Jason Heard from Sugar Land. We will have several new performers, a lot of our fan favorites, and some really fun ground activities including exotic cars and motorcycles. Of course, we also feature one of the largest assemblies of vintage aircraft of any show in the country.”

Along with the Thunderbirds, modern military aircraft performances include a roaring show kick-off by an F-16 Fighting Falcon of the Air National Guard 138th Fighter Wing of Tulsa in a full afterburner take-off. The U.S. Navy will present a tactical demonstration of the F-18 Super Hornet VFA-122.

Aerobatic pilots Elias Corey with Suzuki Airshows and Michael Wiskus of Lucas Oil Airshows will both make their Wings Over Houston debuts while fan favorite and world aerobatic champion Debbie Rihn-Harvey also will perform.

Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Air Force, the always popular U.S. Air Force Heritage Flight will feature a World War II-era P-47 Thunderbolt and its newer namesake, the A-10 Thunderbolt II also known as the “Warthog.” Also flying together in an airshow for the first time will the world’s first jet fighter, a replica German ME-262, and another famed single-engine jet fighter, the British de Havilland DH-15 Vampire. Randy Ball returns to pilot the MiG-17 in a solo demonstration and will fly in the Vietnam War Tribute.

Ace pilots, distinguished military veterans, and a record-holding astronaut will meet fans in the Legends & Heroes Autograph Tent. Honored guests include Lt. Col. Dick Cole, Clarence E. “Bud” Anderson, Col. Dean Caswell, Col. Joe McPhail, Capt. Royce Williams, Brig. Gen. Steve Ritchie, Major Terry Pappas, Col. Jerry Ross – and many others.

Other spectacular performances and activities will include:

The Vietnam War Tribute will include F-4 Phantom II, F-100 Super Sabre, MiG-17, A-4 Skyhawk, Huey Cobra, and Skyraider 02 as well as ground action by re-enactors from the 6th Cavalry of the National U.S. Forces Museum and others.
Vintage aircraft performing and on display from various units of the Commemorative Air Force, Lone Star Flight Museum, Vietnam War Flight Museum, Lewis Collection, Cavanaugh Flight Museum and Collings Foundation. To see all most of these aircraft up close and on the ground, arrive at 8 a.m. and go straight to the warbird ramp. The area is always open until 10 a.m. but often stays open as late as 10:30 or 11 a.m. depending on show scheduling.
A large assembly of modern and vintage military aircraft will be on static display all day, including the specialized EA-18G Growler, reliable B-52 Stratofortress, the massive C-17 Globemaster III cargo plane, the multi-role F-16C Fighting Falcon, the impressive AH-64 Apache attack helicopter, the huge U.S. Coast Guard HC-130H search and rescue plane – and more.
The RE/MAX Skydiving Team will open our show, bringing the American and Texas flags to the crowd during the National Anthem.
Precision Exotics is bringing a collection of exotic vehicles to the tarmac for an exciting fan experience.
Aerobatic pilot Elias Corey – Suzuki Airshows includes not only his aerobatic performance, but also an amazing fan experience featuring Suzuki’s full range of motorcycles.
The custom-built Shockwave Jet Truck, powered by three massive J34-48 Pratt & Whitney jet engines, will scream down the runway at chilling speeds.
Before the airshow starts, Texas City Radio Control Club will demonstrate scale model radio-controlled aircraft that will amaze you with their capabilities.
Members of reenactment and historical organizations set up camp, complete with authentic military vehicles, equipment and uniforms.
More fun on the ground for everyone includes plenty of food, merchandise booths, children’s carnival area, aircraft simulators and more. Come early to do it all!

Visit the show’s website, www.wingsoverhouston.com, for tickets, latest updates and advisories, transportation and parking information, and advice on what to wear and bring.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

KC_Aviation

Post by KC_Aviation » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 am

I'm thinking of driving down to Houston this weekend to catch this show. Looks like a pretty good line up to me. Besides seeing the TA-4J, F-100F, and HOPEFULLY the F-4 from the Collings Foundation, they'll have the Tulsa Vipers, Superhornet, & Thunderbirds that I'm looking forward to seeing. The plane I'm most looking forward to finally seeing is the NASA WB-57F, I've wanted to see this plane forever!
Anyone heard if the F-4 has resolved it's issues that they had prior to Selfridge in August?

Also, is the area around Ellington Field a decent part of the city to stay at? I'm not familiar at all with the Houston area. Thanks.

David
0 x

Airshow0wen

Post by Airshow0wen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 pm

When I last messaged the Collings Foundation regarding the phantom, they said “The F4 lives in Houston. She's ready for Wings Over Houston ! As are her stablemates !”. I’ve also seen pictures of the phantom, super sabre, and MIG-21 flying in Houston on Facebook over the past few days
0 x

skyhawk524

Post by skyhawk524 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:35 pm

The F-4, F-100, and Huey have flown within the last two weeks and they are ready for the show. The A-4 and Me-262 will possibly fly today. The 262 will participate in WW2 of course, and the rest will be Vietnam. Other aircraft that are supposed to participate in Vietnam are the Skyraider, MIG-17, and Cobra. I don't know any details on the MIG-21. The F-4 has never flown at its' home airshow, so we are very excited to finally get to!

The WB-57 should be on display, but unless it flies on Friday for a mission, don't expect to see it airborne during the show. In 30 years of going to this airshow, I have never seen one NASA airplane fly during the display. There is usually a T-38, WB-57, and sometimes the Guppy on static. I've also heard that because of Hurricane Harvey, the USAF has committed 7 assets for static display this year, but I have no idea what those will be.

The immediate area around Ellington is OK, but doesn't have much in the way of hotels. The few hotels that are close are still full with people needing housing after Hurricane Harvey. I know of some people staying at the Southshore Harbor Resort, which is about 20 minutes from the airport, but the area is very nice with plenty of amenities and on a local lake. They've gotten really good rates from the usual travel websites.

Ryan
0 x

AGMore

Post by AGMore » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:57 am

If MX allows we are planning on being there in the mighty Sea Dragon! Arrival late Thursday.
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”